Lomachenko-Marriaga Averaged Just 728,000 Viewers on ESPN

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Top Rank’s move from HBO to ESPN was supposed to expose Vasyl Lomachenko to more viewers.

It didn’t.

Lomachenko’s seven-round domination of overmatched Miguel Marriaga was watched by fewer viewers Saturday night on ESPN than his previous fight on HBO. According to final ratings released by Nielsen Media Research on Tuesday morning, an average audience of 728,000 watched Lomachenko’s victory over Marriaga – about 104,000 less people than tuned in for his last fight.

lomachenko-marriaga-fight%20(9).jpg

HBO’s broadcast of the WBO super featherweight champion’s nine-round, one-sided stoppage of Jason Sosa drew an average of 832,000 viewers April 8 from Oxon Hill, Maryland. That telecast peaked at 886,000 viewers.

ESPN, a basic-cable channel, has a much wider reach than HBO, a premium-cable channel, because it is available in nearly three times as many homes in the United States (roughly 87 million to approximately 32 million).

Though executives for Bob Arum’s Top Rank, Lomachenko’s promoter, expected ratings for Lomachenko-Marriaga to be higher, viewership was adversely affected by a channel switch when the broadcast began and the time at which their main event started.

ESPN’s telecast of the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies from Canton, Ohio, ran more than an hour late, which caused ESPN to shift the beginning of the Lomachenko-Marriaga telecast to ESPN2.

ESPN2’s coverage didn’t start until nearly 30 minutes following the scheduled start time of 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. That portion of the telecast included Ray Beltran’s majority-decision victory over Bryan Vasquez in a 10-round lightweight fight.

Top Rank’s doubleheader eventually switched over to ESPN, which is watched by more viewers than ESPN2. But the Lomachenko-Marriaga match didn’t begin until nearly 12:20 a.m. Sunday on the East Coast – even later than most pay-per-view main events start.

The fact that Ukraine’s Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs) was such a heavy favorite could’ve impacted ratings as well. The two-time Olympic gold medalist won as easily as expected against Colombia’s Marriaga (25-3, 21 KOs), who was knocked down once apiece in the third and seventh rounds before declining to come out of his corner for the start of the eighth round.

The first main event of Top Rank’s new partnership with ESPN – Manny Pacquiao’s controversial loss to Jeff Horn – drew a peak audience of 4.4 million viewers July 1 from Brisbane, Australia. Unlike Lomachenko, though, Pacquiao established himself as one of boxing’s biggest draws long ago and hadn’t participated in a non-pay-per-view fight in nearly 12 years.

It was a gigantic mismatch to begin with

An event like Loma-García would attract way more viewers

Impossible. Everyone was just telling me what a big star Lomachenko is.

Mismatch and the NFL hall of fame going way over hurt imo

Mismatch and the NFL hall of fame going way over hurt imo

I couldn't catch this one but that happened again? It was some silly kick the ball around game last time.

Kevin Iole
Combat columnist
Boxing Aug 8, 2017, 5:33 PM

The fight was supposed to be on ESPN, but it began on ESPN2 when the NFL Hall of Fame ceremony went over its time slot by one hour, 45 minutes. It’s never great for a television event when it switches networks at the last minute, but Top Rank still delivered a solid performance.

The Top Rank boxing broadcast was scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. ET, so for 26 minutes, or until ESPN executives made the call to put the fight on ESPN2 until the Hall of Fame ceremony ended, it was only available on the ESPN app online. It is impossible to know how many fans turned on ESPN at 10 p.m. ET to watch the fight, didn’t get it and then didn’t watch at all.

But for its second consecutive show, Top Rank also surprisingly did well in the younger audience. Though UFC Fight Night 114 from Mexico City, which aired on Fox Sports 1 from 10 p.m. ET to 1:08 a.m. ET, on Saturday, outdrew it in average audience by 859,000 to 728,000, boxing scored big in the younger demographics.

Top Rank attracted more viewers in the coveted 18-34- and 18-49-year-old demographics than the UFC Fight Night card. Top Rank had an edge, 178,000 to 169,000, among 18-34-year-olds and had an edge of 407,000 to 398,000 among 18-49-year-olds. That does not count the 18-34s and 18-49s who watched on ESPN2. On ESPN2, Top Rank drew 167,000 18-49-year-olds and 88,000 in the 18-to-34-year-old demographic.

To top MMA in those demographics is massive for boxing, which has been trying to shed the notion that its audience is comprised almost entirely of men 55 and older. UFC surprisingly had more 55 and older viewers than the Lomachenko-Marriaga card on ESPN. The UFC Fight Night card had 300,000 viewers 55 and older while Top Rank had 223,000 on ESPN and 94,000 on ESPN2.
Lomachenko card draws better TV ratings than NFL Hall of Fame ceremony

Impossible. Everyone was just telling me what a big star Lomachenko is.

There you go with your absolutes and overgeneralizations. Who was telling you this? Casual MMA fans just found out who Lomachenko was a couple fights ago and he doesn't even speak English (by choice) yet. Marriaga doesn't either. I can't contain my excitement for #MayMac though!

So many problems.

The fact it started late on a channel even hardcore fans here couldn't find was bullshit. Then switching over to another channel later was equally confusing. The big FUCK YOU though was the fact it started and ran so late that most people's DVRs didn't even record the main event.

It's a shame because the fight was really fun for a total mismatch and none of the issues had anything to do with boxing, just with broadcasting. You can't showcase a fighter without letting people watch the damn fight.

There you go with your absolutes and overgeneralizations. Who was telling you this? Casual MMA fans just found out who Lomachenko was a couple fights ago and he doesn't even speak English (by choice) yet. Marriaga doesn't either. I can't contain my excitement for #MayMac though!
One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest-quotes-1.gif

1. lomachenko is not a big star. being loved by hardcore fans and being high on the p4p list does not equal popularity.
2. crap match up.
3. espn shows the fight on more than one channel at the same time. add in the espn deportes number.

It was on boxnation so I got to see it all.

Can't contain your excitement about the worlds biggest blowout? Nice one.

^ Some people just love to throw shade. Lomachenko will become the biggest star in boxing next to AJ and Canelo, no doubt. He'll take over the Mayweather mantle just a more exciting version.

Big waste of an opportunity. I was in a bar and had to keep asking them to change it and change it back, they were confused, as was I. Very unprofessional from ESPN.

He'll take over the Mayweather mantle just a more exciting version.
I doubt he could live up to that mantle. And Floyd only became "boring" after jumping up a few weight classes. If Loma keeps moving up in weight and tries to be the more exciting version as you put it then he'll eventually get KO'ed or/and burn out.

Back