Loma vs. Rigo Dec. 9, Madison Square Garden theatre (sold out)

Freddie used to train Rigo. He said that he wishes he still had him. It wasn't until after Loma's last fight that Roach was in attendance that he decided to pick Rigo to win. He was disgusted by Loma's showboating is why and he said that he couldn't play with Rigo like that. Well, that's terrible logic to make a pick considering Loma doesn't need to play with an opponent to win in dominant fashion. Freddie's right that no one can play with Rigo though.

Last edited:
The training footage released by both camps so far has been scant. So, here's what I could dig up for Loma. There's a little more material out there but it's basic rope climbing, muscle-ups, tennis ball juggling (hand-eye) and balance drill exercises that we've seen from him before. For Rigo, it's been indoor S&C (both equipment & body weight resistance) training for his arms, legs, chest & core that I've seen. Today, I'll be collecting his preparation footage along with some of the more interesting exercises that they do over at Mundo Boxing.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

This is older and was published last month on the 18th. I start the video showing forward & reverse double leg hops (low elevation leapfrogs) to short burst sand sprints. Then it's forward & reverse rotated single leg hops to short burst sprints and rotated low side shuffles to short burst sprints. At around the 5 minute mark there's more shadowboxing followed by a rest period, just pause the video.

The last bit of training footage resumes and ends here with bidirectional short burst incline sprints to side shuffling to backpedaling (rapid linear lateral movement to boost agility).

The video below is very cool yet scary looking unless you're an adrenaline junkie or happen to have a death wish. Loma is shadowboxing & casually sitting atop the Akkerman Fortress, which dates back to the 13th century, in his hometown of the Ukraine.

Rigondeaux vs Lomachenko BEFORE THE WAR II Training Montage!!!

Freddie used to train Rigo. He said that he wishes he still had him. It wasn't until after Loma's last fight that Roach was in attendance that he decided to pick Rigo to win. He was disgusted by Loma's showboating is why and he said that he couldn't play with Rigo like that. Well, that's terrible logic to make a pick considering Loma doesn't need to play with an opponent to win in dominant fashion. Freddie's right that no one can play with Rigo though.
Freddie gets on his high horse about some funny stuff. Lomachenkos showboating wasn't that bad. And how is it at all relevant to fighting Rigo, he's not going to showboat with Rigo. Lomachenko is the consummate professional. He's not going to ass around with the toughest test of his career now is he?

I remember a while back when people were talking about Loma vs Mikey lomas team said no way to fighting at 135 because that 5lbs was too much of a jump yet here we have Rigo at 37 years old jumping up to 130 when he was fighting at 118 not that long ago. They wont even meet at a catchweight. Pac fights Oscar at a catchweight. Floyd fights Canelo at a catchweight and so on but no not this fight.

I know you guys are gonna say Rigo asked for this and didn't take the fight at a lighter weight in the past but still doesn't change the fact that this would be a lot more fair at 126. And its not like Loma would have problems making that weight. When it comes to high level match ups like this I just wanna see the fight as even as possible but lets be honest here Loma has a huge advantage.

Freddie gets on his high horse about some funny stuff. Lomachenkos showboating wasn't that bad. And how is it at all relevant to fighting Rigo, he's not going to showboat with Rigo. Lomachenko is the consummate professional. He's not going to ass around with the toughest test of his career now is he?

I didn't like seeing it because Marriaga was so grossly overmatched. In saying that though, Loma has always showboated quite a bit in his boxing career dating back to the amateurs even as a cadet & junior level boxer. He did it with Selimov in their rematch at the 2008 Olympics, the only man to ever beat him the year prior as you know. He did it to Walters at the end of the fight. Against Russell he didn't do it though and I'm sure he won't be able to do it to Rigo even if he wanted to. Roach goes back and forth with fighters anyway. This is the same Freddie that gave too much info to the media about Rigo (the 14 year old kid and talking about his chin) likely because he no longer trains him & wants him back. That's not how you get a fighter back.

Loma misses a lot but gets the UD via agression, activity and outmuscling Rigo. I can see Rigo hitting the canvas at some point.

Loma misses a lot but gets the UD via agression, activity and outmuscling Rigo. I can see Rigo hitting the canvas at some point.

The question is what if Loma gets caught clean on the chin? Rigo packs a punch for his size and has defense slick enough to catch Loma open, and Loma is still very much untested at the pro level. Everyone picking Loma is just playing the odds IMO. This is a strange one to predict.

The question is what if Loma gets caught clean on the chin? Rigo packs a punch for his size and has defense slick enough to catch Loma open, and Loma is still very much untested at the pro level. Everyone picking Loma is just playing the odds IMO. This is a strange one to predict.
He's moving up 2 weight classes, he's not going to carry any power up there.

The level of skill on display will be amazing even though I expect a fairly boring fight. But honestly, I don't care! I rather see two F1 cars in practice than two red necks bumper to bumper in Nascar.

Did Rigo's Twitter account get hacked or is his handler who's typing this stuff doubting him all of a sudden?

Not sure if he meant quiet or quit

i'm not buying into rigondeaux 2 wgt classes above, vs the best fighter on the planet in his prime.
rigondeaux is not the same fighter as he was vs donaire, & since then we've also seen him knocked down, hurt several times. i've seen it too many times, wgt class is a huge disadvantage
the gary russell fight also showed me how lomachenko comfortably handles a quick opponent

lomacheko by a technically dominant dec

The level of skill on display will be amazing even though I expect a fairly boring fight. But honestly, I don't care! I rather see two F1 cars in practice than two red necks bumper to bumper in Nascar.

First time in a long time I will be happy regardless of who wins. I want both guys to have successful careers so may the best man win!

War... war!

ROBERTO DURAN: RIGONDEAUX BEATS LOMACHENKO | EXPECTS SAME OUTCOME AND RIGONDEAUX VS DONAIRE

ROBERTO DURAN: RIGONDEAUX BEATS LOMACHENKO | EXPECTS SAME OUTCOME AND RIGONDEAUX VS DONAIRE

It's not even the size, it's how they fight that has me believing Rigo can take this fight. Loma's style isn't going to be as effective when he's made to miss as much as Rigo will make him, and I don't think for a second Loma is just gonna brush the counters that Rigo lands off like nothing. 2 weightclasses didn't stop Brook from landing telling shots that clearly bothered GGG, Rigo will definitely "bother" Loma when he lands. He has too much accuracy, timing and speed not to be felt when he lands, because you know he'll land flush. God I can't wait for this fight.

GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX FAVORED BY MANY TO BEAT LOMACHENKO

GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX FAVORED BY MANY TO BEAT LOMACHENKO

Back