lol at anyone who says 'you can't duck fighters from a higher weightclass.

First of all, Faber was a FW for MOST of his career, it's not like it was a new thing. In Fact the only reason he dropped weight classes was he got tooled by Aldo and Brown at 145.

Moving up and down weight classes isn't the smartest thing until an entire division is cleaned out. Do you truly think Mac's loss to Nate will help his career in years to come? Ten years from now people will just read the stats and see it's a loss. Already some count his loss to Nate at 170 and his loss to Mayweather and say Conor is 2-2 in his last 4 fights (Believe there was a thread on this not long ago). The other thing it does is screws up deserving challengers in the division that the Champion fights in. Look at all the Interim belts now with the MW Whittiker vs Romero and Ferguson who just faced Lee. Before that there was FW with Holloway vs Pettis. These caused a backlog of REAL title fights that Bisping and Conor could have done, they make the belt look less important than it used to and it has hurt BOTH Conor and Bisping's legacy so far. Ho many fans are complaining Conor hasn't EVER defended a Title? Bisping the same, fighting GSP (a WW) when there are many match ups at 185 he could and should take.

It's not that there are some exciting fights moving around weigh classes, there are. It just hurts the sport and fighters in the long run.

Mighty Mouse I can see moving up, He's pretty much cleaned out the division. However look at what he was paid in his last fight (Being the longest reigning Champion), it is disgusting. He stated he'd move up and fight Cody for a Million Dollar payday. The UFC should pay the Man, he deserves it, fans want to see the fight and he is risking a lot. It is total BS that he was paid less than Ferguson, Werdum and not much more than Lee, when Johnson IS a multi time defending Champion.

Your statements are bold but you are NOT looking at the BIG picture. Every fighter is different, as are their reasons to stay in or move up a weight class. Money, Legacy, Titles, records are only some of the factors.

Conor may be a great fighter but to cement his Legacy he should just stay where he is at 155 and try and break the title defense record. Nobody yet has been able to defend it more than three times. If Conor could defend the LW belt more than that he will cement himself the greatest LW of all time. To me that would be much more impressive.
He told you to use "reading comprehension" but his OP reads like a 2nd grader wrote it.

Bj penn is my fav fighter of all time and a legit p4p great in my eyes. The dude took risks that no other fighter has. People are funny, they whinge and bitch saying a fighter has to move up and prove themselves etc but look at BJ’s career now, people are constantly shitting on him for having a bad record and being so shot. that’s what happens when you fight guys that are massively bigger than you, it’s inevitable you’re going to take more damage and have a shorter career when you take these risks and still get shit on by the fans when you fall short

The OP is a typical "I get no attention from people (especially girls) in real life, so let me shitpost to gain attention online" type poster.

Nothing of value. Just shitposting for attention.

The fight was proposed to be for the Flyweight Championship between TJ and Mighty Mouse and that is the reason why i think it was a god damn joke. TJ getting ZERO wins at Flyweight and then is expected to jump the entire line of contenders for a shot at the title he never made weight for or won a fight at.

Shit like that where you go into a new weight division and get a shot over all other contenders needs to stop. TJ didn't deserve to even be mentioned for the championship belt. It's the BW belt he earned by beating BW contenders not Flyweight contenders like Dodson who knocked him out.

The sport dosnet rise or fall on weighclasses. it thrives off of meaningful , exciting fights. When fighters are offered meaningful, exciting matchups, and the market WANTS IT AND KEEPA ASKING FOR IT, in which a victory would augment their legacy, ONE FUCKING WEIGHTCLASS APART, and they turn it down, it's a duck folks. A weightclass isn't a invisible force field exemption from ducking.

Some of these so called goat's that have never fought one weightclass up at all, after dominating a division, are ducking. Why the fuck do some tools on sherdog throw down the weightclass card and act like fans are going to not want to watch a super fight because of the different weightclasses, or that it's some kind of blasphemy for a fighter to test himself fighting one fucking weightclass up. Faber did it against Edgar. He lost. But he didn't PUSS OUT. That, and the fact that he fought aldo and barao and took his ass whoopingsike a man is why Faber will always be more loved than Cruz. Why would some of you cucks on here not recognize that win or lose, fortune favors the bold. The biggest event in prizefighting history was a fight that made no fucking sense, but Conor's willingness to transcend weighclasses, and then later sports, is what created that oppurtunity.

We got some fighter who have bitched out of inter weightclass fights that made a lot of sense at the time, and they used size as an excuse. That's weak, and the fans deserve better.
How did Faber do it again Frankie when Faber has fought at 145 most if his career?

And did you see the fight? Faber was bigger then Frankie. Frankie had the speed advantage and Faber has a slight size advantage. FFS the commentators mentioned it.

The biggest fight in history you say was a money grab. Why do you think Money came out in a ski mask? Because he was robbing everyone of their money.

Fighters fight at the weight that they choose to fight at. If they can make weight & are comfortable with their weight cut & results, who the fuck are you to say how much of a risk they should expose themselves to for your entertainment. You wanna see guys move up & take on bigger opponents, climb yourself in there & show us how it's done, gangsta...

The fight was proposed to be for the Flyweight Championship between TJ and Mighty Mouse and that is the reason why i think it was a god damn joke. TJ getting ZERO wins at Flyweight and then is expected to jump the entire line of contenders for a shot at the title he never made weight for or won a fight at.

Shit like that where you go into a new weight division and get a shot over all other contenders needs to stop. TJ didn't deserve to even be mentioned for the championship belt. It's the BW belt he earned by beating BW contenders not Flyweight contenders like Dodson who knocked him out.

Tj is a better fighter than any contenders at flw. End of story. Stop hiding behind weightclasses.

Fighters fight at the weight that they choose to fight at. If they can make weight & are comfortable with their weight cut & results, who the fuck are you to say how much of a risk they should expose themselves to for your entertainment. You wanna see guys move up & take on bigger opponents, climb yourself in there & show us how it's done, gangsta...

Bj penn did it and didn't make excuses. Fighters do it. Pussies don't. I was too busy having to join the military at 18 where the risk to pay ratio is even worse than in the cage. A controlled environment w a ref and a mat isn't the most hardcore theatre of combat dummy. Maybe to you lol.

The OP is a typical "I get no attention from people (especially girls) in real life, so let me shitpost to gain attention online" type poster.

Nothing of value. Just shitposting for attention.

I made a rational argument using several supporting details. You should try doing the same if you want your opinion to be respected. Lol at you defending ducking. I guess to you, exposing problems in the sport equals shitposting. I "don't get attention from girls," So I go on sherdog to remedy that ? Lol are you simple?

But seriously Is your fan-love for your favorite fighter greater than their fear of challenging fights? Lol

Henderson (bendo AND hendo), Edgar, masvidal, Conor and Anderson went up 10 lbs in weight. They didn't cry or bitch or stay quiet(like Cruz)

Mayweather went up 24 lbs from when he started, odlh went up 25, pacquiao went up like 35-40, and Roy jones went up from 160 to hw, which has only been done twice in boxing history.

Other greats do it and have done it. So there's no excuse.

anderson moved up to fight james irvin who he probably had 10+ pounds on come fight night he avoided the LHW champ like the plaque just like GSP avoided him. Could you imagine if GSP in his prime did decide to move up and fought Chris Leben not sure why anderson gets so much credit for moving up to fight scrubs especially when he was a huge MW.

I'm lonely and will be home alone Friday night. Please pay attention to me.

We know dude. It's very obvious.

But take comfort in the fact that the internet allows people the bravery to take on personas and attitudes they would never exhibit in real life if they had to be accountable for their actions.

That's something to hold onto in lieu of a healthy life. I guess.

<LucyBless>

That means everyone who is not a heavy weight is ducking, because its always harder to fight a bigger guy and so staying in your weight division is automatically ducking a harder fight for an easier fight in your own weight division.

Here's a list of duckers by your definition: GSP, Anderson, Jones, Machida, Shogun, Hughes, Aldo, Barao, Conor, Liddell, MM, Cruz, TJ, Vitor, Ortiz, Rampage ... in fact everyone who's not a HW. Pretty impressive list I'd say.

Why bother with weight divisions if fighting in your weight division is seen as a negative thing, ie ducking?
Weight classes are organized, legalised ducking that we all accept, and for good reason since size matters. It's still ducking, though, since it eliminates all fighters bigger than you.

TS. If your goal is to prove you are the dumbest poster on sherdog, you've achieved it. Congrat's, we do not need any more submissions from you.

Bj penn did it and didn't make excuses. Fighters do it. Pussies don't. I was too busy having to join the military at 18 where the risk to pay ratio is even worse than in the cage. A controlled environment w a ref and a mat isn't the most hardcore theatre of combat dummy. Maybe to you lol.

There are situations where a jump makes sense. To say it should be expected is silly, some guys are large and some are small for their weight class.

A ten pound weight difference is not the reality for some of these guys, for instance, there was talk at one time of Thiago Alves making 155 his new home and Dominick Cruz could make 155. Do you believe there would only be a 10 pound difference on fight night?

This is a sport and athletes are going to do what is best for their career's regardless of whether you approve ts. There are weight classes for a reason and it give the sport a legitimate platform. It is cool when guys decide to break from the norm and challenge to become legends but it is not absolutely expected like you think.

If we are being honest, some had an easier road than others in doing this also. If you are going to call these guys pussies then why don't we imagine how silly it would be if we took your advise and they all stopped being pussies and just did away with weight limits. How hard you would be crying how unfair it is when Stipe is pounding the ever loving shit out of your favorite manlet. I think calling people pussies is just a little unfitting.

Looks to me like the vast majority on here do not agree with your opinion so there is that.

Weight classes are organized, legalised ducking that we all accept, and for good reason since size matters. It's still ducking, though, since it eliminates all fighters bigger than you.

It is a sport. MM is one of the most skilled fighters in the world and would get his head kicked in by a heavyweight who is barely hanging onto his ufc contract. So the question would be then, what are we seeking when we watch these fights? Do we just want to see carnage or are we looking to see people with the best skill sets face off in a fair contest?

I did understand what you were getting at and on some level agree but not in terms of sport. The limits placed on people due to size have nothing to do with proficiency in the sport. A massive dude with little skill could just lay on a small guy with crazy skill, but the big guys genetics and ability to eat sandwiches is not what I am looking for in a sportsman.

Last edited:
On to the often misunderstood topic of 'moving up' and why it is not better or braver or tougher necessarily for fighters to take fights up a weight class.

Only dumb people give blanket points to fighters moving up as if its always good.

Let me prove the idea wrong.

Would Conor fighting a top 20 ranked WW who is stylistically easy for him be braver, better, tougher than him fighting the #1 contender LW?

Only a fool would say yes.

So if you are going up in weight and not fighting guys who are as tough or challenging as the ones in your own division you are actually ducking tougher comp by going up.

To really turn this on its head, GSP is accepted by all pundits and ranking orgs as having fought the toughest comp of any champ. There is no debate there. So that is braver, better, tougher comp than anyone who moved on.

Sounds a little like that you are meaning Cruz and MM...
But you do know that they were fighting at 155...before there were 145 and 135 weightclasses?

Cruz fought MM in the WEC for the Bantamweight Title at 135

Mighty Mouse fought his first 16 fights at Bantamweight before he dropped to 125

Last edited:
The sport dosnet rise or fall on weighclasses. it thrives off of meaningful , exciting fights. When fighters are offered meaningful, exciting matchups, and the market WANTS IT AND KEEPA ASKING FOR IT, in which a victory would augment their legacy, ONE FUCKING WEIGHTCLASS APART, and they turn it down, it's a duck folks. A weightclass isn't a invisible force field exemption from ducking.

Some of these so called goat's that have never fought one weightclass up at all, after dominating a division, are ducking. Why the fuck do some tools on sherdog throw down the weightclass card and act like fans are going to not want to watch a super fight because of the different weightclasses, or that it's some kind of blasphemy for a fighter to test himself fighting one fucking weightclass up. Faber did it against Edgar. He lost. But he didn't PUSS OUT. That, and the fact that he fought aldo and barao and took his ass whoopingsike a man is why Faber will always be more loved than Cruz. Why would some of you cucks on here not recognize that win or lose, fortune favors the bold. The biggest event in prizefighting history was a fight that made no fucking sense, but Conor's willingness to transcend weighclasses, and then later sports, is what created that oppurtunity.

We got some fighter who have bitched out of inter weightclass fights that made a lot of sense at the time, and they used size as an excuse. That's weak, and the fans deserve better.

I agree with this gibberish.

Anderson straight up ducked Jones and Shogun.

Aldo ducked LW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back