Lock washers suck

Lock washers are pretty effective. I probably install a hundred a day, and having removed many I can attest to their grip strength. I never see them fail.

Nylon nuts are pretty effective also but they're not as easy to install in large numbers, and are one-use only and expensive, so I'm not really a fan.

Loctite at any strength is not a replacement for a lock washer and should only be used when a lock washer is not an opinion (or in conjunction with a lock washer when failure would be catastrophic). I generally use them when installing isolators into pems.

rubber-mounts-cylindrical-mounts-male-both-ends_767x512_2adc5b5f-140d-4180-bf1f-8f249dc783ed.jpg
What is your reaction to the link posted by @mb23100 in post #10?

The videos in that link show the bolt vibrating loose with a lock washer installed.

The videos in that link show the bolt vibrating loose with a lock washer installed.
NASA agrees

Page 9 under "lockwashers"

NASA agrees

LOL them NASA guys were pretty blunt about these not working...

"The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being
tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time
the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid
flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary,
a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking."

Thanks for the link, man. You're the lock nut thread MVP.

LOL them NASA guys were pretty blunt about these not working...

"The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being
tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time
the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid
flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary,
a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking."

Thanks for the link, man. You're the lock nut thread MVP.
Seems like big nut has had us all bamboozled. Hell, I'll probably still use them at work today

I don't know what to tell you.

I've been using them for decade and have never seen one fail. I install them in industrial filters that have a violent agitation cycle every forty minutes to remove debris.

When I remove a locked nut, I can feel the difference. I might not have been able to a hundred thousand nuts ago, but I can now. When I service a unit that has been in use for years, I can feel the crack of release when I remove it.

I have seen motor bolts come free when the lock washer was forgotten, but never with one in place.

NASA agrees

this NASA pdf is great.
Reading it now, lots of useful info there.

Back