Lock washers suck

Lol I’m intimately familiar with this subject matter. Run the red stuff on anything that’ll cause chaos if it comes loose (like crank balancer bolts) unless specific lubricant is required for accurate torque readings (like con rod/main cap bolts)
@DragRacer

Here's straight from the product itself...

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...ker-red-or-blue-which-ones-right-for-you.html

Are you high and thought we were talking about anti-seize or something?

Stainless fasteners are incredibly weak compared to carbon steel. Just about the only reason you’d want to run those is for marine applications. Or for low stress exterior use (like household use)
Now you're talking. Typically for the rust factor, coastal environments.

"if you crank down on it to get rid of the empty space, then you flatten the lock washer and it becomes basically a normal washer"
Wrong, it still has pressure on the nut. Actually the more pressure you exert on the washer the more force is applied to the nut.

what the hell are you tightening where your bolts are coming lose all the time? Might be a case of limp wrist...;)
Actually I don't ever have bolts come loose. But I'm paranoid that someday I will and it will be catastrophic.

What caused me to make this thread was was that I got a new trailer hitch ball, and it came with a giant lock washer. I've never had a ball come undone but it could be pretty ugly if it happened.

Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271-Permanent-Pack-of-1-Red-6-ml-Tube_279ca8f3-a047-458d-bd63-56baf2b27f82.1029535acfaacb4072032e7b57c08c60.jpeg

You're welcome. Just don't expect to ever get it off.

I use this shit all the time. Comes off easily with a propane torch.

Lock washers are pretty effective. I probably install a hundred a day, and having removed many I can attest to their grip strength. I never see them fail.

Nylon nuts are pretty effective also but they're not as easy to install in large numbers, and are one-use only and expensive, so I'm not really a fan.

Loctite at any strength is not a replacement for a lock washer and should only be used when a lock washer is not an opinion (or in conjunction with a lock washer when failure would be catastrophic). I generally use them when installing isolators into pems.

rubber-mounts-cylindrical-mounts-male-both-ends_767x512_2adc5b5f-140d-4180-bf1f-8f249dc783ed.jpg

I use this shit all the time. Comes off easily with a propane torch.
Correct, normally requires heat to get out. Not so easy on old, corroded, seized parts.

Guy up top thinks the manufacturer is lying about their own product I guess…

Safety wire. It's the only way to be sure.
I haven't come across bolt heads that are drilled before (to accept a safety wire to secure them) so I just checked and there is a widget that you can buy which holds a bolt down securely and is designed to make it easier to drill a small hole (1/8th in for eg) in the bolt head. Didn't know those existed.

Here's a video in case anyone is interested :

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doubleEYEpoke
Back