Lets discuss the empty hand stuff from FMA

Sadly, I can see this thread quickly turning into a anti fma/tma bashing thread. As always happens here. I like a lot of what I see in fma. The place that does it near my home seems to have integrated boxing/kick boxing into it. So trapping and slipping/bobbing/weaving/covering.

I don't know much about it, but I quite liked the kicking combinations, especially the push kick to the ...groin? I think? followed by the one to the shin

I have trained a bit kali sikaran before. Its legit. As long as you have a realistic mindset

funny you said empty hand. Karate's literal meaning or translation is empty hand way. or the way of unarmed.

Sadly, I can see this thread quickly turning into a anti fma/tma bashing thread. As always happens here. I like a lot of what I see in fma. The place that does it near my home seems to have integrated boxing/kick boxing into it. So trapping and slipping/bobbing/weaving/covering.

I can't see that. Filipino martial arts are based directly on actual sword fighting, and never experienced a government purge/watering down, unlike the TMA's that seem to do horribly (or at least show a lot of inconsistency) when put to the test today.

The Philippines has enjoyed a good reputation in boxing since at least the 2nd world war (at the lighter weights, obviously), and I credit that at least partially to it's cross-pollination with their traditional sword fighting based arts. I can actually see them implement the strategies and footwork, which is great because modern boxing historically sprung up from British fencing schools, transferring their knowledge and methods of fencing into boxing.

I like the kadena de mano stuff. Seem like a brutal and dirty grown up version of the trapping you see in other styles.

funny you said empty hand. Karate's literal meaning or translation is empty hand way. or the way of unarmed.
Gonna go out full karate nerd here. ;)
The meaning "empty" for "kara" in Karate is the modern Japanese version of the word. The modern "kara" symbol 空 has a homonym symbol 唐, which means "Chinese (of the Tang dynasty)". This was probably the original symbol in the Okinawan word "kara-te" since the majority of striking techniques was borrowed from Chinese Kung Fu (Hung Gar and Fujian White Crane). So in fact it's not "Empty Hand" but "Chinese Hand". The term was modified by / for the Japanese due to the long-lasting political tensions between the two nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate#Etymology

I use "empty hand" on my junk all the time

wait... wrong thread?

I can't see that. Filipino martial arts are based directly on actual sword fighting, and never experienced a government purge/watering down, unlike the TMA's that seem to do horribly (or at least show a lot of inconsistency) when put to the test today.

The Philippines has enjoyed a good reputation in boxing since at least the 2nd world war (at the lighter weights, obviously), and I credit that at least partially to it's cross-pollination with their traditional sword fighting based arts. I can actually see them implement the strategies and footwork, which is great because modern boxing historically sprung up from British fencing schools, transferring their knowledge and methods of fencing into boxing.

The Philippines doing well in boxing happened way before that

The Spaniards did try to suppress the arts. Modern Arnis took the art and tried to standardize it taking away a lot of it's essence.

This is kind of a broad subject. I study FMA so I am obviously a fan of this.

I used to say the same thing.

"Oh look they're integrating useful moves into it"

And then when I sparred with them I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

And I don't mean that in a good way, I mean, that they literally suck. It's like some nerd decided to learn boxing from a video game/book kind of way.

And I don't mean that in a good way, I mean, that they literally suck. It's like some nerd decided to learn boxing from a video game/book kind of way.

And this is what I was waiting for..

For what it is worth, they have a separate kick boxing class that they do, but as a JKD style, at least from what I have read, they practice boxing as well as the other stuff. I know they compete in FMA stuff frequently and do well.

Meh. Does not matter, as it is not the holy trinity of mma so thus it is shit and should be banned..

Lol terrible. Ive learned more useful moves in a cardio kickboxing class and im being dead serious.

Give them a stick and im sure they would beat my ass though

Pancrase numbah wan palm hand striking.

And this is what I was waiting for..

For what it is worth, they have a separate kick boxing class that they do, but as a JKD style, at least from what I have read, they practice boxing as well as the other stuff. I know they compete in FMA stuff frequently and do well.

Meh. Does not matter, as it is not the holy trinity of mma so thus it is shit and should be banned..

I do Sanda and Judo, they're not the holy trinity of MMA. Sanda being even more obscure as a matter of fact.

Those arts work. I know MMA isn't the end all be all of hand to hand combat but come on... we've seen Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, etc guys in MMA.

Where are all the Chi energy sticky hand guys?

I actually know exactly what you mean. The Dog Brothers call most of these TMAs who have infiltrated the FMAs "technique collectors" It's a pretty good name for them. These people think that there is nothing more to fighting than how many techniques that they memorize(not really understand). They see no value in physical or mental attributes. They say that they know boxing because they throw some half assed punches that they learned off of YouTube and, since they are technique collectors, they think that all there is to boxing is throwing some half assed punches, doing some slips, and other basic techniques. They don't get it. I showed my instructor from the Philippines a video of a well know Kali instructor and he could not believe how many techniques the guy knew but my instructor laughed because the guy was so god awful at all of them.

I

Last edited:
Back