Lets discuss the empty hand stuff from FMA

I actually know exactly what you mean. The Dog Brothers call most of these TMAs who have infiltrated the FMAs "technique collectors" It's a pretty good name for them. These people think that there is nothing more to fighting than how many techniques that they memorize(not really understand). They see no value in physical or mental attributes. They say that they know boxing because they throw some half assed punches that they learned off of YouTube and, since they are technique collectors, they think that all there is to boxing is throwing some half assed punches, doing some slips, and other basic techniques. They don't get it. I showed my instructor from the Philippines a video of a well know Kali instructor and he could not believe how many techniques the guy knew but my instructor laughed because the guy was so god awful at all of them.

I

I agree. But at least those guys have full contact sparring gotta give them that.

I'd like to attend one of their things just to fight against people. They hold tournaments

I agree. But at least those guys have full contact sparring gotta give them that.

I'd like to attend one of their things just to fight against people. They hold tournaments

I think you misunderstood. The Dog Brother call the guys that don't spar technique collectors.

Trapping works. Just keep it simple. And dont use it against a fast snapping punch, or against a volume strikers that knows what he do.

Use it against a lazy punch, when someone reach for the clinch, against a grab in a self defense situation. Ect ect

full contact sparring is actually rare in kali/ escrima at least in my group, even without weapons. What people seem to do is train escrima in addition to another art like boxing or bjj which does have sparring.

However we do have a drill called agak which is kind of like a flow roll in BJJ. We do that with the stick and its kind of nerv wracking.

With weapons I think its just the dog brothers and you have to be a member for a while before they let you.

I'd be interested in going to a FMA comp though if there are any that aren't as hardcore e as dog brothers.

Last edited:
I used to say the same thing.

"Oh look they're integrating useful moves into it"

And then when I sparred with them I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

And I don't mean that in a good way, I mean, that they literally suck. It's like some nerd decided to learn boxing from a video game/book kind of way.
I dunno bro. the high kicks in the video looked impressive to me.

I think you misunderstood. The Dog Brother call the guys that don't spar technique collectors.

Ah that would make way more sense. I can agree to that even more. Some of the Dog Brothers stuff looks like trash, but then some of their other videos look very impressive. I believe it depends on who's competing.

And they work... they work when you can box, grapple, spar, clinch, wrestle, and avoid submissions.
The same could be said about karate, the best thing to do imo is to take those cool moves that work and use them in mma.

The same could be said about karate, the best thing to do imo is to take those cool moves that work and use them in mma.

Of course but at that point you're an MMA fighter. A lot of TMA guys refuse to acknowledge for example, the fact that Lyoto is trained in BJJ, Muay Thai, and grapples regularly.

They believe their singular art is better than multiple martial arts.

Of course but at that point you're an MMA fighter. A lot of TMA guys refuse to acknowledge for example, the fact that Lyoto is trained in BJJ, Muay Thai, and grapples regularly.

They believe their singular art is better than multiple martial arts.
I actually think Machida was better before he started seriously cross training muay thai :p i think boxing would of suited him better.

I actually think Machida was better before he started seriously cross training muay thai :p i think boxing would of suited him better.

In his book he started seriously cross training Muay Thai even before going to the UFC.

He went to Thailand for over a year. Then continued it all throughout his UFC career training with the likes of Anderson Silva and MT coaches.

I get what you're saying though. He would have benefited better from Boxing in my opinion. Had he not trained Muay Thai he wouldn't have made it past the first Shogun fight

In his book he started seriously cross training Muay Thai even before going to the UFC.

He went to Thailand for over a year. Then continued it all throughout his UFC career training with the likes of Anderson Silva and MT coaches.

I get what you're saying though. He would have benefited better from Boxing in my opinion. Had he not trained Muay Thai he wouldn't have made it past the first Shogun fight
From what I remember he didnt spend that long there and was sick from food poisoning most of the time. His early style wasnt very muay thai at all. His muay thai coach up to the shogun fight was that french guy daniel worrin said he didnt really teach muay thai to him, that they worked from his karate base.

Last edited:
From what I remember he didnt spend that long there and was sick from food poisoning most of the time. His early style wasnt very muay thai at all. His muay thai coach up to the shogun fight was that french guy daniel worrin said he didnt really teach muay thai to him, that they worked from his karate base.

That's even more believable considering how many kicks he ate in that fight.

Well most thai camps i have been to dont really train that much low kick defense

Could it because it's something so basic and taught at a young age? Or are Thai guys okay with eating kicks?

They do train lowkick defense. But bodykicks and headkicks are trained much more because Bodykicks are used much more because they win fights at the highest level (they score points)

They do train lowkick defense. But bodykicks and headkicks are trained much more because Bodykicks are used much more because they win fights at the highest level (they score points)

Do teeps or side kicks score alot of points?

Depends. If they put the other guy on his ass.

Back