Let's box

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end you still ask the coach, the peeps here recommend, but you have to use your own judgement, and its not hard, all you have to do is ask.

Spacetime day 1:
ST: hey I'm looking to do a trial/join

coach: sure blah blah blah

ST: so how does this work?

coach: here are gloves, you can buy it here or whatever, gym culture blah blah blah

ST: what weight for the gear?

coach: blah blah 16oz, 12oz, whatever

---boom---

first gym I was with it was 12oz, despite research of many peeps saying use 16 in spars and 12 in practice. Doesn't matter, the coach said 12 is fine all around, so I used 12.
New gym I'm at, he laid down the groundwork and said 16oz in sparring, 12oz for other. So that's what I'm doing.

Every glove they had in a pile of dump thrown in at the gym were 14 Oz. I will buy 10oz for bag work and if they want to spar, I use the 16 Oz:s.

Now your really showing how little you know about boxing gloves........ You do know that Ferrari is owned by Fiat right? Same sort of comparison as your gloves (Fiat 500) and the Everlast in the picture (Ferrari 488).

Same is true of any cheaper model. The gloves are fine. Just too big for my petite hands. I'm hoping 10oz fit better.

See here my fist size.. That's very small hands for my build. 160z don't work!

_20180505_181649.JPG

At the end you still ask the coach, the peeps here recommend, but you have to use your own judgement, and its not hard, all you have to do is ask.

Spacetime day 1:
ST: hey I'm looking to do a trial/join

coach: sure blah blah blah

ST: so how does this work?

coach: here are gloves, you can buy it here or whatever, gym culture blah blah blah

ST: what weight for the gear?

coach: blah blah 16oz, 12oz, whatever

---boom---

first gym I was with it was 12oz, despite research of many peeps saying use 16 in spars and 12 in practice. Doesn't matter, the coach said 12 is fine all around, so I used 12.
New gym I'm at, he laid down the groundwork and said 16oz in sparring, 12oz for other. So that's what I'm doing.

So Spacetime, if your only going to have one pair of gloves and you want to spar, then it's going to have to be 16oz because lots of gyms will not let you spar with less than 16oz, some will let women and lighter weight man spar with 14oz but we are talking about sub 140Ib.

It's the model of glove not the weight

Really? I was told this: "the lighter weights are smaller than the heavier weight gloves. There is usually an inch worth of difference between the sizes. Going down a weight should result in a better fit."

Really? I was told this: "the lighter weights are smaller than the heavier weight gloves. There is usually an inch worth of difference between the sizes. Going down a weight should result in a better fit."

Make and model mostly, some manufacturers make gloves for smaller hands.

I had a pair of Topking (same model different colours) in 10oz and 16oz both hand compartments the same tight as fuck....

Mine is the opposite. It has no wrist control at all. I can slip the glove off my hand without support from the other one. But it does have excellent padding and support for power punching.

I feel like my Everlast leather gloves can punch throw brick walls.

everlast-fighter-gloves-red-1.jpg
Yet it's level 1 gloves. Maybe the non existent wrist wrap is the reason... because the quality is not bad for this model.

Last edited:
So Spacetime, if your only going to have one pair of gloves and you want to spar, then it's going to have to be 16oz because lots of gyms will not let you spar with less than 16oz, some will let women and lighter weight man spar with 14oz but we are talking about sub 140Ib.
you can't hit the bag with sparring gloves (unless you really hate your sparing partners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back