Leon Edwards was never a fan of Donald Cerrone’s ‘journeyman’ approach to MMA.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“He’s a legend of the sport, but I wouldn’t say I was a fan of his,” Edwards told MMA Fighting.

“Just [because] his approach to fighting, I think it’s more like a journeyman. I don’t think he cares whether he wins or loses. He just shows up and as long as he fights, that’s good for him. To me, I think his approach is more like a journeyman approach. You’re just there to fight, you’re not there to win or lose. I don’t think it bothers him, whether he wins or loses anyway — that’s his approach. But my approach is I want to win every fight and I want to be a world champion. That’s my aim in the sport.”

while Cerrone has enjoyed a long and fruitful career, Edwards is of the mind that the former title challenger’s best days are behind him.

“I think so,” Edwards said. “He’s a 36-year-old man now and he took a lot of damage in his last, what, six or seven outings. He took a lot of damage.

“We’ve watched his last four or five fights, and honestly there’s a blueprint there, and I can [execute] it. As far as why he’s really struggling, I don’t know. Welterweight is probably just too big for him, or his chin is deteriorating. It could be anything. Like I said, he’s a 36-year-old man. His style of fighting, the way he’s fought, it’s been the same realistically for, what, his last 10 or 15 fights? I don’t think there’s much different in his game, really, that’s changed over the last 10 or 15 fights, from what I’ve seen anyway. So people are probably just getting used to what he does and what he throws, and everything else. There’s no [mystery] there.”

Edwards believes Cerrone’s recent slump was at least partly affected by the way “Cowboy” approached the fight game throughout his career.

“I think back in the day, the guys would fight [indiscriminately]. There was no real thought to their future or the future of the sport or their health,” Edwards said. “I think now it’s showing in older guys. You can see them slowing down quite early and they’re getting chinny, so I think it all adds up over time. You’ve got to approach this thing smart and [work towards] longevity in your career. In the past it’s been, like I said, just show up just to fight and you don’t care whether you win or lose, whether you get knocked out or anything.

“So, 100 percent, I feel the older guys, the way they approach the game is so different from the way we approach the game, the way younger guys are approaching the game right now. I think everyone thinks more of longevity and more about looking out for themselves, more about just being smart in fights, and not necessarily fighting just to fight, just to say I’m on the card fighting whoever, whenever. You know what I mean? Like I said, where I’m from, that’s a journeyman mindset. You get paid just to show up and just to say, ‘Yeah, I did show up.’ My mindset is more, I want to win everything.”

“I think I’m the better fighter,” Edwards said bluntly of Cerrone. “My striking, I feel my striking is there. I’m well-rounded, so I feel like wherever the fight goes, I’ll be the better man on the night, so it’s just me going out there and proving it now.

“I feel I need a finish in this fight to prove my case,” Edwards added. “To get to where I really want to get to, I feel a decision won’t be enough for me. So I’m going out there for the finish and having my way.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<mma4>

If you aren't confident that you'll win, you're not going to win. Leon seems confident. He's right, Cowboy has taken quite a bit of damage recently. While Cowboy can catch anyone, I'd put my money on Leon.

He's going to KO/TKO Cowboy tomorrow, just wait and see. He's already better than any version of Cerrone.

Sherdoggers are having a hard time accepting that their favorite Cowboy is over the hill now so they're shitting on a prospect to help them cope. As good as Cowboy is, he's inconsistent and took a lot of damage. Edwards will split that wig tomorrow.

Edwards will fuck up up like dern did then they will call for the dern fight.

Edwards sure likes to repeat himself. I mean, Edwards likes to say the same thing twice in a slightly different way.

Edwards sure likes to repeat himself. I mean, Edwards likes to say the same thing twice in a slightly different way.
He's the British version of Jimmy Two Times. "“I think I’m the better fighter, better fighter"

He's a journeyman because of his talent ceiling, not his approach to anything. His approach is actually what allows him to make money. Many guys (gatekeepers) don't last any near as long as Cerrone in the business.

Sherdoggers are having a hard time accepting that their favorite Cowboy is over the hill now so they're shitting on a prospect to help them cope. As good as Cowboy is, he's inconsistent and took a lot of damage. Edwards will split that wig tomorrow.

Maybe they just don’t want to shit on a fighter just because that fighter is past their prime.

Nothing wrong with being a journeyman. Journeyman’s make money. Journeyman’s enjoy life. Journeyman’s don’t deal with the emotional trauma if they take a loss. Cowboy does his job and he is damn good at it.

I think Cerrone's problem is that he's always fought like he was hitting the bag, and got away with it for a while because his offensive power was so good, and he had a good reach advantage at lw. But his weak defence has always been an issue, and now that he's taking on quality ww strikers, it's detrimental.

Edwards will never reach the levels Cowboy did, and even if he does people won’t really give a shit because he’s not likable or noteworthy in any way in my opinion. There are much better guys than him, younger than him that’ll beat him easily soon enough.

I think you guys have a different definition of "journeymen" than most. Dude has fought for world titles at the highest leve, just because he didn't win doesn't make him a journeyman. He has been a bonafide contender for the last decade. Unless his chin is shot, he has a tough first round then settles in and puts it on Leon.

Back