Least favorite part of training?

never once have I had a coach come in and say something like "drill whatever you need guys"

If Buchecha comes to the group class in say checkmat and he is not teaching does he drill stuff he has no interest in?

I have experience this. This has been tried and it failed at our gym because lots of people where drilling really stupid stuff.
Currently coach allows us to drill our own things during the technique portion of the class. Combined with world class technique from artofjiujitsu.com and other places works great. It's also really efficient and much more fun to just set a timer and avoid spending mat time on instruction.

In an @BJJbrick podcast Bruce Hoyer talks about running classes like this. He has a lesson plan and people are in all different places so technique time is everyone doing their lesson and occasionally switching partners. It's a very interesting concept.

If Buchecha comes to the group class in say checkmat and he is not teaching does he drill stuff he has no interest in?

I visited Marcelo's recently and Bernardo did the class like everyone else. Drilled the move shown. Not sure how others do it since this is the only time I'd seen competitors of that level train.

i hate not being able to sleep after evening classes for bjj

despite taking ZMA, melatonin, etc just sucks not even being remotely tired at 1-2am and having to get up by 6-7am

Having to learn new things as a group every single day. I am a blackbelt, have been doing BJJ for 16 years, and never once have I had a coach come in and say something like "drill whatever you need guys"

Surprised to hear that Checkmat doesn't do this. "Drill whatever you want" is a common training practice, especially for competitors, at several top teams.

Waking up like I did this morning in a hotel room with my neck sore and wrist so sprained I could barely move it because goddamit when you're a brown belt on the road and the head instructor wants to roll light with you he is not going to roll light after you tapped all his students I guaran-fucking-tee it.

It's lame as hell for the instructor to ask to roll light and then do that.

If you came into my gym, I would probably go hard after you too. But not in a way to try to injure you. I would just figure that you were a big competitive brown belt dedicated enough to train on a trip so you were seeking a challenge. I'd roll hard but wouldn't crank for injury.

And I sure as hell wouldn't say "let's go light" first. Actually I'm going to start making it a policy that if a visitor asks me to go light, I just get up and refuse to roll with him. I'm just sick of the awkward shit that results when he inevitably explodes hard as hell his first opportunity.

In an @BJJbrick podcast Bruce Hoyer talks about running classes like this. He has a lesson plan and people are in all different places so technique time is everyone doing their lesson and occasionally switching partners. It's a very interesting concept.

I do something similar.

About 1/4 of the students or so love it. The other 3/4 seem to like "move of the day" more. Go figure.

I do something similar.

About 1/4 of the students or so love it. The other 3/4 seem to like "move of the day" more. Go figure.

So how do you deal with that. Do the 3/4 just have to do it the way they don't prefer or do you do something different because of them?

Bruce talked about how it's not for everyone because it requires more effort and input from the student but it's how his class runs and if you go there that's what you do. I wonder if it's hurt his potential sign ups and/or if the student involvement helps in retention.

i hate not being able to sleep after evening classes for bjj

despite taking ZMA, melatonin, etc just sucks not even being remotely tired at 1-2am and having to get up by 6-7am

Join the club.

So how do you deal with that. Do the 3/4 just have to do it the way they don't prefer or do you do something different because of them?

Bruce talked about how it's not for everyone because it requires more effort and input from the student but it's how his class runs and if you go there that's what you do. I wonder if it's hurt his potential sign ups and/or if the student involvement helps in retention.

There are two classes back to back. The first one is traditional move of the day style. The second one is more individualized. People can do both or just one.

More people come to the first class than the second.

Waking up like I did this morning in a hotel room with my neck sore and wrist so sprained I could barely move it because goddamit when you're a brown belt on the road and the head instructor wants to roll light with you he is not going to roll light after you tapped all his students I guaran-fucking-tee it.

Perhaps a different approach to training as a guest in someone else's house could be advisable?

I've only dropped in at one other place, but I didn't go for any submissions and let the smaller or less skilled guys get good positions on me. I was just there to sweat and have fun, not collect scalps and I was treated great

Having to learn new things as a group every single day. I am a blackbelt, have been doing BJJ for 16 years, and never once have I had a coach come in and say something like "drill whatever you need guys"

I can see why. I've had instructors say for everyone to just drill what they wanted for 30 minutes or so, and people from white belt to brown belt seem dumbfounded. For many, BJJ isn't about thinking about evolving your technique, it's show up and follow the prescription.

I hate seeing a few certain people there I hate rolling with. I have two people in my class who hate being tapped out and take it very very personally if you do so I tend to roll very slow and at 20% so they don't complain or criticise too much.

I also hate when my conditioning gets the best of me. When it happens it just happens and I feel that I'm done for the night.

Worst part is being crippled like a sunnava bitch after class. i'm so glad I haven't had to fight any body on the way to my car, cause basically i'd noodle arm the fuck outta their face......and that'd be about it. Lol. Class has a way of kicking my ass pretty well, especially if our super athletic brown belt runs warm ups. Other than that, I love it.

What's your least favorite part of training?

For me, it's the warm up. I don't mind reps. I don't mind drills. I love sparring/rolling. But dammit, I hate warm ups.

What about y'all?
Warmup fo sho.

Partners stopping roll to explain injury as youre putting sub on

People that talk too much when its time to drill/roll.

Lower belts giving out lengthy advice to a higher belt.

White/blue belts that have to post about their jiu jitsu life every minute of every hour of every day. Oss ! Jiu Jitsu was lit training with savages! dderrrrppp

At my gym once per week one of the classes is drill what you want. there is still several move of the days shown during the class so you can choose to do that or your own thing.

It then progresses to positional sparring using the same drilled moves. eg. if I drilled butterfly sweeps and single leg entries then my partner would now try to pass or submit and I would have to hit one of those two things. I found it to be one of my most useful classes and look forward to it the most as I get to work on exactly what I want

Perhaps a different approach to training as a guest in someone else's house could be advisable?

I've only dropped in at one other place, but I didn't go for any submissions and let the smaller or less skilled guys get good positions on me. I was just there to sweat and have fun, not collect scalps and I was treated great

I'm not there to collect scalps, but I'm going to match intensity and I'm going to do BJJ. It's pointless to go and not really roll, why even bother bringing a gi? I keep the intensity down but I do tap people, especially when they (inevitably) come after me hard.

It's lame as hell for the instructor to ask to roll light and then do that.

If you came into my gym, I would probably go hard after you too. But not in a way to try to injure you. I would just figure that you were a big competitive brown belt dedicated enough to train on a trip so you were seeking a challenge. I'd roll hard but wouldn't crank for injury.

And I sure as hell wouldn't say "let's go light" first. Actually I'm going to start making it a policy that if a visitor asks me to go light, I just get up and refuse to roll with him. I'm just sick of the awkward shit that results when he inevitably explodes hard as hell his first opportunity.

Yeah, it's not like I expect to come in and tap the coaches (or even care about doing so), but don't put me in the awkward position of saying you want to keep the intensity down because then as the guest it's very, very hard for me to scale my level correctly. I don't want to be an ass, so if you're going to come after me just come after me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back