Lean Mass Gain + Fat Loss = Carb Cycling

I will throw out there that it is certainly NOT an easy transition from whatever diet you are on to this anal-retentive methodology. I absolutely hated it the first month or so I was trying it.

That being said, I've been on a sometimes strict, sometimes lax version of this diet for what feels like a year now. Maybe WL could corroborate that time-line :wink:. Either way, those first few months of hating it have ingrained it into my mind, so now I can't help but resist fats during the day, and carbs at night. Pretty basic outline I run, but it certainly is for the better.

I've followed that spreadsheet for a long ass time now, but I've never really adjusted to the hi-low carb days, as I never have a predictable week to schedule lifting on certain days or not. If I can make it to the gym, I go. If I have other prior engagements then it often fucks up my planned high-carb day... etc.

From my experience, I'd say it is a good program- only if you can really adhere to it with scheduling your high, moderate, or low days, and CYCLING them accordingly. If not, you won't get the promised results. It is helpful to know and understand why you do C/P for meals 1-3 and F/P for meals 4-6, and even better if you can stick to it.

Cool excel doc though,
-Chris

From my experience, I'd say it is a good program- only if you can really adhere to it with scheduling your high, moderate, or low days, and CYCLING them accordingly. If not, you won't get the promised results.

Cool excel doc though,
-Chris

Agreed. If you do not follow the carb cycling diet, you will not get the results of the carb cycling diet. I believe the same rule applies to Atkins, Paleo, South Beach, and the Anabolic diet. If you do not follow them, then you're not on them.

Chris, I've barely been on it for over a year. I think you started some time in July maybe, lol.

Note: I'd recommend reading the article, but if readers don't feel like it, take this away from it - High carb days are for highest priority lifting days/most active days. Medium days are for secondary priority activites like muscle endurance days. Low carb days should be your non-training days.

Like Chris said, no diet where you just wing it is going to work reliably. If you're not making sure you consume less than maintenance calories period, it won't matter if you seperate your carbs from your fats or whether you inject your protein rectally...you won't drop body fat.

That being said, enjoy your journey to leanness.

Thanks for the spreadsheet Lightning!

2007_04_12_Xerxes.gif

No problem. I am a generous god.

Sweet, thanks White Lightning (your screen name, as well as my self-given super-corny nickname for my 2007 white 4 cylinder Honda Accord)!

Wouldn't mind if you could shoot that to me in an email too: [email protected]

Thanks.

BTW, is there a belt level restriction for downloading attachments?

what's to stop from someone carb loading every day that they work out hard? eg i will work out hard 4 days a week and lightly for the rest. is there any downside to carb loading for the 4 days that you work hard?

i don't see any point in trying to work out on low carbs. it's too hard.

I figured that since I often suggest to people that they should check out the carb cycling diet (as presented by T-nation.com), and that since the layout on the page appears so overwhelming to most, I'd post my simple and easy to use calculator for anyone interested in trying the diet out. It's not keto and allows a lot of carbohydrate, IMO.

I know that it worked for me. I successfully gained 9 pounds of muscle and lost 14 pounds of fat using this diet. Magic, no. Worth trying, yes.

thanks TS. you've done a good job on the excel file. of course some tweaking for the individual is necessary.

Could you email the spreadsheet to cdow3ll at hotmail ?

I've lost a ton of weight doing low-carb and have hit the wall for those last few lbs of fat.

UPDATE: I have revamped the spreadsheet and made corrections to the flaw which resulted in people of great height/weight/age/low activity to have sub-standard levels of fat intake, according to the spreadsheet. To correct this issue, I scrapped the idea of a fixed amount of protein and carbohydrate per pound of bodyweight, and instead made each macronutrient a certain percentage of the necessary daily intake. The new version appears to yield ample, but not excessive protein, and a healthy amount of fat. I hope you enjoy the new version.

UPDATE: I have revamped the spreadsheet and made corrections to the flaw which resulted in people of great height/weight/age/low activity to have sub-standard levels of fat intake, according to the spreadsheet. To correct this issue, I scrapped the idea of a fixed amount of protein and carbohydrate per pound of bodyweight, and instead made each macronutrient a certain percentage of the necessary daily intake. The new version appears to yield ample, but not excessive protein, and a healthy amount of fat. I hope you enjoy the new version.

so where is it?

Fine, make it so obvious that I look like an idiot.:redface:

(Yet another) UPDATE: Made a new version, which can be found on the first post. You can now choose precisely what ratios of macronutrients you desire for your diet. For example, I am currently using 40% protein, 35% carbohydrate, and 25% fat on my fat loss diet. Thus, all issues have been fixed, I even updated the "female" tab, so the ladies have a spreadsheet that works, too. I may or may not include a maintenance diet section in a future release. Enjoy.

Back