Last time you were really wrong about a fighter Or fight

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
simple question

For me

Fighter- I thought broner was gonna be much better.

Also Mikey Garcia has suprised me a bit. Always knew he had skill but i didn't forsee him jumping up in weight like he has

Fight- ive been wrong a few times recently but i would say the worst was Cotto-Sergio.

Cotto literally did everything I thought sergio was gonna do to him

Last edited:
I thought Loma was going to be a stud amateur with a mediocre pro career and it looks like I was wrong so far.

Fighters - there's a lot. Broner is one, Gamboa another.

Martinez/Cotto

Fighter - uzzy

Fight - I dunno, I thought morales was going to find a way to beat maidana.

I didn't expect domaire to flatten Montiel.

I'll think some more about that one.

I never thought Bute was special but I expected better of him

also Matthysse/Garcia. I was really sold on Lucas winning by stoppage.

Joshua - didn't think he could catch a second wind, pick himself up off the canvas and take a win like that

I never thought Bute was special but I expected better of him

also Matthysse/Garcia. I was really sold on Lucas winning by stoppage.

Oh yeah good call on that one. A friend of mine called me the day of the fight and said he had a dream that Garcia got the decision. I said "Right. A dream." Oof that one stung a bit.

Badou Jack....when he got KO'd i thought that would be the last we'd see of him. Instead he buckled down and improved his defense.

Badou Jack....when he got KO'd i thought that would be the last we'd see of him. Instead he buckled down and improved his defense.

Good call on Badou.
First: his showing against Alexander Brand was garbage. He looked so stiff in that fight. And that was the first one of his that I saw live (on tv). Heard so much about him but then to see him lumber around the right against Brand wasn't reassuring.

Then losing to Derek Edwards I thought he was toast. Clearly this guy isn't it. He's like a regional fighter who beats everyone he should in Argentina... and then as soon as he swims in slightly deeper waters he's sunk.

But since then he's greatly improved.

Embarrassing to even say this one. But for a while Dominick Guinn looked great. Exciting fights with and wins over Michael Grant and Dokiwari.
Announcers were sold on the guy.
The next televised fight of his was one of the most boring things aired... his decision loss to Monte Barrett. Just downhill from there.

Wrong in what way?? A fighter that didn't meet expectations??or surprised and proved wrong??

Manny Pacquiao- This was way back after the Barrera fight, I personally thought the win was a fluke, it is a known fact Barrera had to cut his training camp short during the brush fires in Big Bear but everything else after that fight is history, the man is a proven legend

Chris Byrd was a bit of a let down to me, he was once regarded as the Pernell Whitaker of heavyweights because of his style, it was exciting to me seeing someone at heavyweight that can outfox and outmaneuver everyone and that big ko's wasn't necessary to become champ until Ibeabuchi took his head off

...ad Ibeabuchi to that list too.

Badou Jack is a good example. Didn't think much of him going into the Dirrell fight.

Fighter - Sam Peter
Fight - Wlad vs Fury, Pac vs Horn, Martinez vs Cotto

Floyd, and me thinking he would never really entertain the notion of fighting a guy with 0 pro fights.

Boy, was I wrong.

Matthysse vs Postol.

Worst fighters I ever got wrong was Victor Ortiz and JCC Jr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back