Kung Fury -- OH! HELL! YES! (Sequel in the Works)

Personally, I liked how it didn't play out to the cliche 1V1 epic battle sequence you would expect. I'm tired of sitting through stuff I already completely expected. I also think it would have sucked in a way (how entertaining would that really be?). It was a short movie already and didn't need that, imo (expected/time waste)

Furthermore, at the end there is an artistic message conveyed by this lack of kungfu battle. And it is tastefully, subtly, and irrefutably shown rather than ham-fistedly shouted down our throats.

1. Hitler never intended to play fair or honest (hiding behind a mini-gun), revealing the weakness in his character

2. Hitler IS(/was) a coward

3. Hitler didn't even know that much kungfu. He really was a cheat and a fraud. The biggest of his century and many before.

If this movie didn't come out and say it, I don't know who would be brave enough to. This film maker deserves utmost respect for having the balls to possibly sacrifice his career by taking such a strong stance against Nazi Germany

Hmm, "If this movie didn't come out and say it, I don't know who would be brave enough to." When do people NOT come out against Nazi Germany? Hitler and the Nazis are constantly ridiculed, lampooned and just generally portrayed as all-around assholes.

Perhaps a final epic kung fu battle would've been cliche, but cliches exist largely because they work. Filmmakers often retread familiar ground because those elements have proven reliable in telling a good story. And besides, this movie is all about satirizing the tropes of 80s cop and kung fu films.

I really do think the movie would've been better with a more serious, bad ass villain. Make Hitler a true source of fighting power, not some little runt who is no match for the hero.

Liked the trailer a lot more than the short film, as usual with these type pf things the ideas were good but they dont really flow once you try to do a story.

Some of the new things like the triceracop and the sunday morning cartoon just fell flat for me.

I was actually expecting more gang action (like in the music video), honoring Mad Max and the warriors.

The new blonde viking looked ugly (not that the old one was that great, but she was cute in a butch way ) tought they added the brunnete that was hotter than both, they should have just stik with her.

Kung Fuhrer needed to be more of a bad ass, the last third of the movie feels weak because all the nazi foot soldiers are weak and Kung Fuhrer a joke.

Agree on Triceracop, don't agree on cartoon. In fact, when I saw the cartoon, I was a little blown away by how authentic it felt. These dudes really do understand the 80s.

And as I said in my last post, I also agree on Kung Fuhrer and the Nazis. That was a misstep.

Watched it last night and it was fucking epic! Loved every minute of it.

Unfortunately it felt a little rushed because they didnt get the funding. Some of the story had room to be fleshed out more. What an amazing accomplishment to make this from kickstarter. TANK YOU to the guy who made this!

Watched it last night, reminded me a lot of Axe Cop (the comic and show). Loved the Saturday morning cartoon bit. I think with some money and shooting with 80's era film equipment and an 80's era cinemaographer they could make an awesome feature length film. I was full of ideas when watching it. The score was great as well.

Watched it last night, reminded me a lot of Axe Cop (the comic and show). Loved the Saturday morning cartoon bit. I think with some money and shooting with 80's era film equipment and an 80's era cinemaographer they could make an awesome feature length film. I was full of ideas when watching it. The score was great as well.

the score was my favorite part. I thought it was great, considering how it was made.

the score was my favorite part. I thought it was great, considering how it was made.

Agreed on the score. Really good stuff. Here's the "hacking time" song for anyone who's interested.

Caught the re-run yesterday. As a fan of the 80's genre, I thought it was pretty cool. I even liked the Hasselhoff(sp?) song at the end. It is good to have another show to watch that's different than anything else going now. Also it's on El Ray and I like to show support since they play the old school kung fu flicks. Little off topic but watched Come Drink With Me and Golden Swallow last night for the dozenth time. Also Big Venom Mob fan. Chen Shen is the man.

Hmm, "If this movie didn't come out and say it, I don't know who would be brave enough to." [1.]When do people NOT come out against Nazi Germany? Hitler and the Nazis are constantly ridiculed, lampooned and just generally portrayed as all-around assholes.

Perhaps a final epic kung fu battle would've been cliche, but cliches exist largely because they work. Filmmakers often retread familiar ground because those elements have proven reliable in telling a good story. And besides, this movie is all about satirizing the tropes of 80s cop and kung fu films.

I really do think the movie would've been better with a more serious, bad ass villain. Make Hitler a true source of fighting power, not some little runt who is no match for the hero.

1. Glad you caught that. You must really think I'm nuts huh

2. You're still right-- it was disappointing not to have the giant kungfu final boss fight. I think if the movie had been full length (funding), it likely would have happened. IMO

1. Glad you caught that. You must really think I'm nuts huh

2. You're still right-- it was disappointing not to have the giant kungfu final boss fight. I think if the movie had been full length (funding), it likely would have happened. IMO

1. I suspected you couldn't possibly be serious with that statement but I couldn't quite tell for sure.

2. I dunno. I mean, there's a lot of other crazy action all throughout. It seemed like they could've put that fight together instead of doing what they did. But more importantly, why the fuck is Hitler the comic relief. Like I said before, he's supposed to be Kung Fuhrer! One of the most skilled kung fu masters of all time! The more I've thought about it throughout the day, the more it has actually pissed me off. Such a missed opportunity.

I wonder why so much references to dinosaurs and vikings??? I dont remember those trends being big in the 80s, was it just for the hell of it?

(Maybe Vikings were like a refernce to Conan, Beastmaster, He-man, etc all those barbarian-like films in the 80s.).

I wonder why so much references to dinosaurs and vikings??? I dont remember those trends being big in the 80s, was it just for the hell of it?

(Maybe Vikings were like a refernce to Conan, Beastmaster, He-man, etc all those barbarian-like films in the 80s.).

I took it as them just throwing in everything they could think of that guys think are awesome. Vikings and dinosaurs are certainly awesome.

Unfortunately it felt a little rushed because they didnt get the funding. Some of the story had room to be fleshed out more. What an amazing accomplishment to make this from kickstarter. TANK YOU to the guy who made this!

The trailer actually hinted at a romantic subplot with Viking chick and her coming in to the present (80s) in the Deelorean with a big 80s boombox (that scene was used for the opening credits montage).

If they made a feature lenght movie I hope they get a better writter, I was left feeling like all the best parts/jokes were in the trailer, maybe with the exception of the side scroller fight with Nazi's, digged the looping crowded background, it felt true to videogames.

You don't remember the dinosaur boom in the 80's?

I assure you, it really happened. Cartoons, binders/trapperkeepers, advertisements, fruitsnacks. Even the TV show "Dinosaurs." They were one of the most interesting and omnipresent themes in the 80's

Here are a few more themes that were a big deal in the 80's but perhaps less so than dinosaurs:

*Sharks

*Soccer

*Lamborghinis

*Bully Jocks/50's style hoodlums

*Skateboards (not just among skateboarders, but basically everyone)

*Karate

*Toys that contained or interacted with water (unlike today)

*Skiing (especially stunt skiing)

*Fighter Jets

*Long hair ; guys/boys with ponytails

* and so on

Back