Knee to the head KO in MT

Regel

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice examples of knee-to-the-head KO's by notable fighters but can't find them. Are there any?

Also, is there any reason why all I could find was
1) performed by westerners
2) in some seemingly irrelevant low-level bouts?

It looks to me like either there's some gentlemen's agreement in Thai scene not to throw such strikes, or they are practically impossible if your opponent is good enough in clinch (i dunno really, those are my wild guesses). Or are they just banned?

I'm looking for some nice examples of knee-to-the-head KO's by notable fighters but can't find them. Are there any?

Also, is there any reason why all I could find was
1) performed by westerners
2) in some seemingly irrelevant low-level bouts?

It looks to me like either there's some gentlemen's agreement in Thai scene not to throw such strikes, or they are practically impossible if your opponent is good enough in clinch (i dunno really, those are my wild guesses). Or are they just banned?

lower weight classes produce less ko's across all martial arts. in muay thai the most notable fighters are either thai fighters or some westeners that are also active in the lower weight classes. the most stacked divisions in muay thai are something like 115-135 or so. kinda like the the three womens/wmma weight divisions in the UFC

There are plenty of fights where one guy is already hurt and on the way down get's knee'd to the head or headkicked. I think it's rare standing because they high level guys don't position themselves to get hit by a knee to the head very often.

knee to the head KO is very hard to land against high level competition that's why you don't see it often in the thai scene.

In the stadiums if someone starts significantly breaking someone's posture or landing knees to the head or both, that is usually going to result in the fight getting stopped immediately.

Jenarong Tor Thaksin vs Rongkiat Kiatprapat

In the stadiums if someone starts significantly breaking someone's posture or landing knees to the head or both, that is usually going to result in the fight getting stopped immediately.

you cant even hide it. this is the kinda thing cocakilbana would post. 'in the stadiums the fight would have been stopped bla bla bla'

very bad at hiding your identity.

you cant even hide it. this is the kinda thing cocakilbana would post. 'in the stadiums the fight would have been stopped bla bla bla'

very bad at hiding your identity.
Yeh listen to celestialbrockboy Jtwarwagon, he's a master at hiding his identity

lower weight classes produce less ko's across all martial arts. in muay thai the most notable fighters are either thai fighters or some westeners that are also active in the lower weight classes. the most stacked divisions in muay thai are something like 115-135 or so. kinda like the the three womens/wmma weight divisions in the UFC
Those knee to the head KOs usually happens when a fighter charge forward like in the MMA, it don't happen in high level Muay Thai, but Knee KO happens frequently. Another part is conditioning, high level Muay Thai fighters are used to taking knees to the mid section, it's not just a matter of size, plenty of examples where Muay Thai fighter had beaten much bigger opponents, size do not always matter, speed, reflexes, and durability as well as endurance are just as important. I will take superbon or Sittichai to beat any of the Glory wealterweight anyday. It's a matter of how stacked or skilled a particular division is.

To knee the head you have to either strike at a highly opportune moment or achieve certain locks in the clinch that allows you to do so. In the stadiums the competition level is so high that fighters very rarely put themselves in compromising positions and its also very rare that there is a big enough difference in clinch skill that someone is using a lock that dominant.

Knee to head KOs happen more in MMA because fights are more wild and there is much more often a great difference in striking skills.

heres my coaches highlight video, towards the end, at about 6:30 he does a knee to the head ko, against a thai, in thailand.

haha i just noticed hes doing a knee to the head in the main pic for the video as well. lol

I see, so it's about fighters' level after all. Thanks, everyone.

'Cause in amateur MT knee-2-the-head is quite common, and it puzzled me, why I never see it on main Thai stadiums' videos.

I see, so it's about fighters' level after all. Thanks, everyone.

'Cause in amateur MT knee-2-the-head is quite common, and it puzzled me, why I never see it on main Thai stadiums' videos.

for most events knees to the head are allowed in full rules mt only, the same shows where elbows are allowed, without elbow pads.

its not legal in amateurs, and generally not legal for the shows you see guys fighting with elbow pads as well.

if you see it alot in amateurs, its most likely wild out of control guys.

A different question: why do Thais often seem unfazed by middle kicks and knees to the body? Whereas it's not uncommon for non-Thais in high level kickboxing to go down and be badly hurt by them?

Well it is, at least in IFMA World Championship (and its nation-level stages).

i didnt know that, i am surprised, thats the events with the headgear, chest pad, shinpads, all the pads, and they allow knees to the face? I just took a look at their website, I couldnt find anything about knees to the face legal. Where did you find this info? I am still going to guess knees to the face are illegal,Why have all the pads then if they are going to allow knees to the head.

Back