Knee on Belly in Nogi: Questions about attacking from the position

This is a good video that covers KOB. 24 minutes of Kurt Osiander goodness:

I like to trap the wrist that pushes the knee. Then do the obvious step over arm bar, then when they are defending and trying to roll out/escape, I wrist lock the shit out of em!

Heheheheheheh

TS are u mostly using it on lighter guys? Just bc I have never had anyone my size use KOB regularly or really at all with any great degree of success. Only guys that out weigh me by 30+ lbs are able to stabilize KOB...otherwise I find it pretty easy to push their knee off and get reclaim guard. Likewise I only use it against lighter opponents for the most part. If u ARE having success against bigger guys what is it that is making it so successful? The grip on the lapel? Controlling the nearside arm?

Anyway I prefer no gi....and I veryyyy rarely use KOB, there just isn't enough stability or LOGIC to do so IMO. I tend to use the X pass....so I pass very loose and when I end with KOB I just immediately drop down to side mount to get better control, mount or look for a submission....but I never stay there.

I like to put my hand on the mat by their far hip, boxing their hips in tightly between my forearm and the instep of my foot (which I keep curled flush to the near hip). Even no gi, this gives pretty decent control.

I use it all the time gi and no gi, but in no gi you have to use it a little differently. In the gi, you can use it as sort of a lock-down control position because of the grips. In no gi, it's more of a fluid transitional position. It's useful, but you're not meant to hang out there too long. I like to use it no gi as an escape blocker, to attack the far arm with armbar or kimura, or to set up my crucifix if he reaches under my leg (which they always do).

TS are u mostly using it on lighter guys? Just bc I have never had anyone my size use KOB regularly or really at all with any great degree of success. Only guys that out weigh me by 30+ lbs are able to stabilize KOB...otherwise I find it pretty easy to push their knee off and get reclaim guard. Likewise I only use it against lighter opponents for the most part. If u ARE having success against bigger guys what is it that is making it so successful? The grip on the lapel? Controlling the nearside arm?

I'm 145 lbs and pretty much nobody that I train with is smaller than me, except for a 53 year old blue belt, a female blue belt, and some white belts. I use KOB all the time gi and no gi. You have to work it when rolling to develop the stability and pressure. If you're doing it right they shouldn't be able to just push you off, at least not without creating an opening to attack.

Anyway I prefer no gi....and I veryyyy rarely use KOB, there just isn't enough stability or LOGIC to do so IMO. I tend to use the X pass....so I pass very loose and when I end with KOB I just immediately drop down to side mount to get better control, mount or look for a submission....but I never stay there.

I like to use it on the bigger guys actually when rolling because if i can get it on them i know i can hit it on a guy my size in competition all day long

Back