Knee on Belly in Nogi: Questions about attacking from the position

BCNASH

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, KOB is one of my stronger offensive positions in the Gi as I can hit the cross and baseball chokes as well as the step over to weak side armbar pretty easily in the Gi. I have tried to play KOB in Nogi and find it to be very difficult to hit the only sub I can think of, step over far side armbar, because the guy on the bottom knows my attacks are limited; most of the time I will use it to tire out the opponent and make them carry my weight for extended periods. Does anybody else have good set-ups, subs and attacks from the position that they would be willing to share to help me tighten up this position without the Gi?

KOB in no gi is a position I am unsure of

it seems very unstable without the gi grips

Usually getting a grip behind the head with my arm closest to the head and looking to grab the far side arm's tricep when they look to push the knee off seems to work for me most of the time. I like it in an mma concept also when you throw in the punches you can rain down from there as well

It's more of a transitional position in nogi but it can still be used for a few things. You don't hit triangles from KoB?

Marcelo like to hit the the far side armbar, near side armbar, and North South choke from Knee on Belly.

He loves that position because, if anything, he says it initiates movement with your opponent- and that is when he exposes his limbs, back, etc.

KOB for no gi is usually a transitional move when I want to go for near or far side armbars/kimoras

Marcelo like to hit the the far side armbar, near side armbar, and North South choke from Knee on Belly.

He loves that position because, if anything, he says it initiates movement with your opponent- and that is when he exposes his limbs, back, etc.

Yeah I would suggest to watch Marcelo Garcia or Jeff Glover. It's a great way to open up the neck to pounce on north-south chokes, guillotines, darces, triangles, and the RNC when taking the back.

I don't attack the arms as much, but I need to work on it. Recently I've been using the KOB a lot more, and I'm finding a lot more options for myself as a result.

It's fun though. I'm enjoying it.

It's more of a transitional position in nogi but it can still be used for a few things. You don't hit triangles from KoB?

Never have. Can you describe how you would go about doing that? I ask this because I cant really see it in my head.

And when everyone says Kimura, they mean Kimura and not Americana correct? As in, pulling them up on to their hip and hitting the Kimura on the top arm?

I like to get the guy to push on my knee then I trap his wrist and step over it to triangle him.

Or I let him turn away to escape and take his back.

The step-over armbar is a little hard to get because it's so obvious.

Never have. Can you describe how you would go about doing that? I ask this because I cant really see it in my head.

If you position your knee right and use your weight, you can apply a very unpleasant KOB. I like to place my knee right about at the sternum, that way he is pinned pretty well and hopefully will grimace in pain.

a) If his near arm comes up to block, I like to use my far hand (side by his legs) to get an undergrip on the tricep. From there, I throw my non-KOB leg over his head, pinch my legs together and go for an armbar, making sure I dig myself deep on his shoulder. As my instructor says, "for a good arm bar, you are arm barring his shoulder." Getting it deep makes for a quick tap.

b) If his near arm is tied up, and cannot make use of it, he might try to push the KOB with his far arm/hand. Since my KOB is high up on his chest (sternum), the far hand he pushes off with will be "chicken winged". This will make it easy to grab an underhook; letting go of his near arm, I go north/south while I underhook with my free arm. I then shift to side control, where I set up for an armbar like I described in scenario "a".

Hope this helps.

Knee on belly is a great no gi position.

However, it's one that you won't just chill in - you need to be mobile. The great thing about kob is that it forces a reaction from your opponent. In side and mount they might be content to ball up but you drive that knee into their diaphragm and they'll be forced to respond.

My first option is the darce if they attempt to underhook or push away. Like this:

Me doing a knee on belly darce

Secondly I like to spin around to the back. Anyone who's seen Ryan Hall's DVD knows what I'm talking about.

Other than that I would take a far-side armbar or just push to mount.

Lately though I've been playing around with the triangle from knee on belly like Drew posted above. Here's Glover's version (at 5:10):

Jeff Glover triangles

And when everyone says Kimura, they mean Kimura and not Americana correct? As in, pulling them up on to their hip and hitting the Kimura on the top arm?

Right. This is what I've seen most often anway.

I've never viewed knee-on-belly as a good finishing position, even though I like it a lot.

I view it as a position where I can keep the pressure on the opponent. Not just physical pressure, but also mental pressure and the pressure of the match:

When you go knee-on-belly, gi or nogi, you are

a. staying active and attacking.
b. threatening to mount or going north-south.
c. being really really uncomfortable.
d. racking up easy points.
e. opening up a few submissions.

Even if you lose the position or fail to submit, that doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing. All you have to do is see how hard people fight to get the knee off the belly to know it's worth going to.

This is my favorite triangle setup from KOB:

I go for this whenever my opponent stays flat, especially if he starts messing with my foot trying to push it to half guard or underhook my instep. The cool thing is that it connects really well with the brabo game. If the opponent defends as shown in the video, shrugging the leg by to avoid the triangle, instead of just settling for side control on the other side, you can trap the arm across (I always use the 'howdy' position as an intermediary) and attack with the brabo.

Back