Kimber Revolver EDC

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anyone ever carry a Kimber revolver? How concealable is it, with kydex holsters?

If I were buying a revolver for a house gun, I'd get something a lot more powerful. I feel like house guns should at least either have a lot of capacity, or be able to create a permanent wound cavity. I think Kimber intends for its revolver to be carried concealed, so how is it?

Edit: Follow-up question. I've never fired a revolver, but went shopping for them recently. Most of them are only double action, including the Kimber, and don't have a half cocked position, or a thumb safety. It seems like the safety of the weapons mostly comes from your safe handling practices, and the long / heavy pull of the trigger. However, with a revolver with an external hammer, if you pull the hammer back, the trigger becomes hair-like. So, how important is that as a defensive weapon? If you are strictly interested in civilian, defensive pistol, how important is the function of an internal hammer, vs. the concealability and safety of an internal one (which can't be pulled back on accident).

Last edited:
Follow up question:

I see Kimber has a 3" model and a snub nose model. Even the snub nose is a little longer than the sub compact pistol I carry. The 3" is 7.62" long (har har). I wonder how concealable it is?

I read on a blog that the idea of a significant difference in stopping power is kinda a myth between most pistols that deliver less than 500 foot pounds of energy. The claim was that anything under 500 won't produce a permanent wound cavity, and is just poking holes, so shot placement matters more. a 9mm, 10mm, or 11mm hole is still just a poked hole. However, I read on a blog that they measured the 3" Kimber delivering just over 500 foot pounds of energy with 357 Magnum rounds. So, that leads me to believe that if such a pistol is concealable, and if I am comfortable with a smaller capacity, the 3" Kimber might have a point. They seem to make it for IWB carry, with an internal hammer for greater concealability. So, I guess someone is carrying it concealed.

Do you think carrying a 3" barrel revolver so that the rounds break that 500 foot pound mark is worthwhile, or still not meaningful compared to a 9mm or 45?

Don't even own a revolver. I could see how those might have use for carry if you want to be able to fire without pulling it out of your purse or jacket pocket.

Yeah, that is a neat aspect. I really want one so I can load and unload it quietly. You can hear me rack the slide of my glock outside with the windows closed.

Are you gonna be sneaking up on your victims?

I reinforced the doors to my house so that it would take a concentrated effort to kick them in. I store guns unloaded so if the safe fails, my kid can't shoot them. However, if I heard some poor, desperate soul trying to kick in my door, I'd like to not give away that I'm getting ready.

I reinforced the doors to my house so that it would take a concentrated effort to kick them in. I store guns unloaded so if the safe fails, my kid can't shoot them. However, if I heard some poor, desperate soul trying to kick in my door, I'd like to not give away that I'm getting ready.

Maybe get a good sized dog? :D

Revolvers are cool, but complicated. I don’t think I personally would trust Kimber to make a reliable revolver.

I've never fired a revolver, but went shopping for them recently. Most of them are only double action, including the Kimber, and don't have a half cocked position, or a thumb safety. It seems like the safety of the weapons mostly comes from your safe handling practices, and the long / heavy pull of the trigger. However, with a revolver with an external hammer, if you pull the hammer back, the trigger becomes hair-like.
It is wrong algo.
You should had used this in shooting range before purcase.
. So, how important is that as a defensive weapon?
Depends from law in your area.
The bare minumum for real SD is something like 38.Sp , 9X18 MAC and above.
And usually, if it is permitted by law: HP not FMJ bullets.

If law doesn't allow to carry pistols with cartridge in chamber, then revolvers are thing that remains.
Anyway, you need at least 300-600 shots in range to become barely proficient in order just " maybe " to use this in SD in real life.

You should become comfortable with action and recoil without thinking.

Yeah, ppl might be killed by 22 LR or weaker things.
While in SD you need to stop assiliant ASAP.
Usually this is 2- 30 meters distance.
There any decent smoothbore cartridge with 32 and more metric grams of large slugs or bullet will be more effective than any pistol.

I never had bought this, but this was best revolver I ever had used.
Shooting range, approx 200 shots exp. 10-15-25-35 meters distance.
Manurhin MR 73 - Wikipedia

Longer barrel is better for longer distance. Till some 10 meters this will not matter, I think.
I had S&W with 38 Sp cartridges and PM ( MAC).
Now I do have only PM.

I had used other stuff in shooting range too.
Now I'm not interested so much about this and still, old good memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back