NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

have fun with that. they are facing a team who handed their ass to them in every game this year.

after the canucks beat the oilers 8 times this year do you think edmonton will try to relocate?
Edmonton will likely beat Vancouver, in my opinion. Similarly how Colorado defeated Winnipeg. Colorado is generally considered the better team. The playoffs reflected it whereas the regular season didn't. But I suppose we'll see.

Edmonton will likely beat Vancouver, in my opinion. Similarly how Colorado defeated Winnipeg. Colorado is generally considered the better team. The playoffs reflected it whereas the regular season didn't. But I suppose we'll see.

edmonton should probably just fake a knee injury and forfeit the series just to try to save face. this is going to be even more embarassing for them than the 4 games they got destroyed in.

from somebody who has watched pretty much every one of their game this year while they spent most of the season leading the league in pretty much everything, all i'm going to say to that is have fun playing the "easy team."

the oilers have no defense and this is a pink sock waiting to happen. i aint the least bit concerned about this series. try not to get shut out by our backup goalies backup too many times before demko returns, if the series even makes it that far.

Last edited:
edmonton should probably just fake a knee injury and forfeit the series just to try to save face. this is going to be even more embarassing for them than the 4 games they got destroyed in.

from somebody who has watched pretty much every one of their game this year while they spent most of the season leading the league in pretty much everything, all i'm going to say to that is have fun playing the "easy team."

the oilers have no defense and this is a pink sock waiting to happen. i aint the least bit concerned about this series. try not to get shut out by our backup goalies backup too many times before demko returns, if the series even makes it that far.

The Oilers have better defense than they did in the past. Even with the start to the season, they allowed considerably fewer goals than both Colorado and Toronto. Barely more than Dallas and New York. Vancouver is better, but that seems to be their strong point. Vancouver should have been down 2-3 to Nashville who were one of the worst teams to make the playoffs.

I wasn't impressed by Nashville's performance in that series either. I think if they played close to their best they would have won. Oilers lost only 1 game and it was in OT in a game with several low probability goals.

I'd rather play Vancouver than either of Dallas/Colorado. Not sure about Vegas.

edit: A relevant stat is power play. Oilers have both the best penalty kill (100%) and power play (45%) so far these playoffs. And that was against LA who had the 2nd best penalty kill during the regular season (84.6%, behind only Carolina; vs 79.1% for Vancouver and that was when they had Demko).

Last edited:
Oilers definitely lucked out with the easy bracket. Feels like their destiny to win it this year.

I would say it's something like:

Conference SF: Significant favourite (70%)
Conference F (if they make it there): Slight favourite (60%)
Stanley cup finals (if they make it there): Toss up or slight favourite (55%)

They are the betting favourites, but they are still only 3.5:1. It's hockey so no one's close to being odds on this far out. But they are a better team than the last 2 years on top of having an easier path.

Last edited:
Nashville who were one of the worst teams to make the playoffs.

Patently and demonstrably false.

Nashville had a better record than:

LA
Tampa
NYI
Vegas
Washington

They also had more Regulation wins than both Boston and Toronto, as well they had more ROW than all of those teams. They went 21-10 since the All-Star break. Nobody really wanted to play them first round of the playoffs. Now all of a sudden, they were an easy out?

Hardly one of the worst teams to make the playoffs.

LA
Tampa
NYI
Vegas
Washington

They also had more Regulation wins than both Boston and Toronto, as well they had more ROW than all of those teams. They went 21-10 since the All-Star break. Nobody really wanted to play them first round of the playoffs. Now all of a sudden, they were an easy out?

Not the worst (I would say it was Washington) but they had to run an incredible hot streak the final month + to get into the playoffs. The run was bound to end at some point.

LA
Tampa
NYI
Vegas
Washington

They were given the 3rd lowest odds to win the cup before the playoffs started. Ahead of only the Islanders and Washington. Marginally behind LA despite LA having a tougher opening round.

The stats you're quoting are only part of a larger picture. LA started the season terribly and Nashville was streaky and had cooled off toward the very end of the season.

edit: from the article

Our true Stanley Cup longshot pick will be the Los Angeles Kings, however, as their advanced metrics are among the best in the league. They allow just 2.54 goals per game, which ranks third-best in the NHL. This stingy defense could frustrate opponents and keep games close.

Looking at those advanced stats, the Kings have posted very strong numbers at 5-on-5:

• 54.4% Corsi For percentage (CF%)
  • 53.6% Scoring Chances For percentage (SCF%)
  • 54.4% High-Danger Chances For percentage (HDCF%)
These metrics indicate the Kings tend to out-possess and out-chance their opponents at even strength. However, their PDO (shooting percentage plus save percentage) of 99.6 suggests they may have been a bit unlucky and could be due for positive regression.

Nashville was definitely the worst team to make it from the west. Vancouver is strong defensively, but LA is even stronger even compared to when Vancouver had Demko. Nonetheless, they still gave up 4+ goals in 4/5 games.

Last edited:
The Oilers have better defense than they did in the past. Even with the start to the season, they allowed considerably fewer goals than both Colorado and Toronto. Barely more than Dallas and New York. Vancouver is better, but that seems to be their strong point. Vancouver should have been down 2-3 to Nashville who were one of the worst teams to make the playoffs.

this statement is objectively false. ever since the all star break the preds were pretty much the hottest team in the league. same with the oilers. and the kings. its a sheer stroke of luck that they even made it in the playoffs. you know it, and i know it.

and as for "they should have been down 2-3 games"....should've, could've, would've, didn't. that's what seperates the shit from the shovel my friend. good teams find a way to overcome adversity. we just shut out nashville with our backup goalies backup. we beat nashville in every game in their building in front of their cheering fans. in a defensive minded series where goals and shots were hard to come by, we were down 2 goals in the third and still managed to find a way to win the game. we even won a game despite being held to just 12 shots. we overcame. thats what good teams do. the rest just fold under pressure.

now tell me about those oilers. no wait, i'll tell you about those oilers. they got to play the easy team, and they're about to get roflstomped by a team who knows how to win games, play defense, and overcome adversity. i can't even remember the last time the oilers had a lead against us, if there ever was a time. i looked at my watch one time and it read 8 past jeff skinner. we outscored you 21-7 this year. we scored more goals on edmonton in just one game than they were able to score on us all year. now grab your crying towel and sit the fuck down!

this statement is objectively false. ever since the all star break the preds were pretty much the hottest team in the league. same with the oilers. and the kings. its a sheer stroke of luck that they even made it in the playoffs. you know it, and i know it.

and as for "they should have been down 2-3 games"....should've, could've, would've, didn't. that's what seperates the shit from the shovel my friend. good teams find a way to overcome adversity. we just shut out nashville with our backup goalies backup. we beat nashville in every game in their building in front of their cheering fans. in a defensive minded series where goals and shots were hard to come by, we were down 2 goals in the third and still managed to find a way to win the game. we even won a game despite being held to just 12 shots. we overcame. thats what good teams do. the rest just fold under pressure.

now tell me about those oilers. no wait, i'll tell you about those oilers. they got to play the easy team, and they're about to get roflstomped by a team who knows how to win games, play defense, and overcome adversity. i can't even remember the last time the oilers had a lead against us, if there ever was a time. i looked at my watch one time and it read 8 past jeff skinner. we outscored you 21-7 this year. we scored more goals on edmonton in just one game than they were able to score on us all year. now grab your crying towel and sit the fuck down!

I think I'm being pretty level headed about it. Canucks beat the early season Oilers and then again when they didn't have McDavid. Canucks can win, but they are the underdogs. Betting odds had Nashville as the 3rd weakest team for a reason and I think they were proven correct.

I think I'm being pretty level headed about it. Canucks beat the early season Oilers and then again when they didn't have McDavid.

that's what seperates the shit from the shovel my friend. good teams find a way to overcome adversity.

of course, we could make all kinds of excuses as to why we didn't beat the oilers down even harder in every game than we beat them down in every game, but you know what they say, only losers make excuses.

and if you're relying on one player just so you can win a game, you're fair dinkum fucked my dude. hockey is a team sport.

"we didn't have mcdavid so we folded." - yeah that's a great mindset to have while heading into the playoffs. i'm sure they'll go far. the canucks never had demko, their backup even got put out due to injury, and they were up against the hottest team in the league since the all star break. tell us how they folded under pressure.

that's what seperates the shit from the shovel my friend. good teams find a way to overcome adversity.

of course, we could make all kinds of excuses as to why we didn't beat the oilers down even harder in every game than we beat them down in every game, but you know what they say, only losers make excuses.

and if you're relying on one player just so you can win a game, you're fair dinkum fucked my dude. hockey is a team sport.

"we didn't have mcdavid so we folded." - yeah that's a great mindset to have while heading into the playoffs. i'm sure they'll go far. the canucks never had demko, their backup even got put out due to injury, and they were up against the hottest team in the league since the all star break. tell us how they folded under pressure.

Vancouver didn't entirely find a way to overcome adversity though. They got lucky that their opponent hit the post on an empty netter. As far as the last game when the Oilers were missing McDavid, I didn't watch it, but not that match can be taken from 1 game anyway. I don't think the early games are useful data points at all.

I think some of you Canucks fans saw them at the top of the rankings the entire season and are surprised that they still aren't considered one of the favourites to win the cup. We'll have to see it play out.

Vancouver didn't entirely find a way to overcome adversity though. They got lucky that their opponent hit the post on an empty netter.

not vancouver's fault that colton scissons folded under pressure from the canucks defense. perhaps he should have shot it in the empty net a little earlier, or maybe tried to make a better play. could've, should've, would've, didn't.

and perhaps you misunderstood the question. i asked you to tell me how the canucks folded under pressure, and you're referencing a game in a very tight defensive minded series where the canucks were down two goals in the 3'rd period, on the road in front of an electric nashville crowd, playing with our backup goalies backup goalie who has never played in a playoff game in his entire life and has a grand total of 9 NHL games under his belt split between two seasons, and they still found a way to fight our way back through it and win that game.

and guess what? we didn't have connor mcdavid for that game either!

Last edited:
not vancouver's fault that colton scissons folded under pressure from the canucks defense. perhaps he should have shot it in the empty net a little earlier, or maybe tried to make a better play. could've, should've, would've, didn't.

and perhaps you misunderstood the question. i asked you to tell me how the canucks folded under pressure, and you're referencing a game in a very tight defensive minded series where the canucks were down two goals in the 3'rd period, on the road in front of an electric nashville crowd, playing with our backup goalies backup goalie who has never played in a playoff game in his entire life and has a grand total of 9 NHL games under his belt split between two seasons, and they still found a way to fight our way back through it and win that game.

and guess what? we didn't have connor mcdavid for that game either!

I never said they folded under pressure. I just said that there was some significant luck involved in their comeback in that game.

It would be like me posting this video and acting like the Oilers didn't need luck to send the game into overtime.

Last edited:
I never said they folded under pressure. I just said that there was some substantial luck involved in their comeback in that game.

that goalpost stood firm and tall and fought that puck off. it played it's part for the team and came up with a big save when it was called upon. no luck, all skill baby.

nothing lucky about those goals either. the canucks had to work for all of them. now you give your praise where the praise is due my friend, and pay your rightful respects to the BROCKSTAR, and congratulate him on his hat trick and doing his part to help his team fight back through all kinds of adversity and win the game!

usatsi_23140220.jpg

being a humble canucks fan has never paid off for me in life so this year my approach has been to just talk shit, and so far this season it's been paying off. too late to stop now. next month conor mcdavid is going to be drinking from a saucer because the cups gonna be in vancouver.

Back