Killer Cradles By Wade Schalles

dumblogic

White Belt
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has seen this DVD set by Wade Schalles. I saw Legal Pain by him and I really thought it helped my wrestling, and I love to cradle so I thought I would watch that DVD set, but I don't know anyone who has it and the retail price is about 100 dollars, and I am not really willing to pay that much. Has anyone seen it that can tell me whether it is worth that much money, or if their is a cheaper way to get a hold of it (DVD rental website maybe?)

Wondering if anyone has seen this DVD set by Wade Schalles. I saw Legal Pain by him and I really thought it helped my wrestling, and I love to cradle so I thought I would watch that DVD set, but I don't know anyone who has it and the retail price is about 100 dollars, and I am not really willing to pay that much. Has anyone seen it that can tell me whether it is worth that much money, or if their is a cheaper way to get a hold of it (DVD rental website maybe?)

I dont know of any other way to get it.

Wade Schalles has awesome DVD's though, breaks down the technique very well in is the king of cradles and pinning in general.

IMO one of the top 5 wrestlers in American history.

I think he pinned his way through Tbilisi which at the time was harder and more prestigious than the Olympics.

Are you in HS or College?

Ask your coach because the parents club might buy it for the team if the coach recommends it or you could get a couple of teammates to pitch in and then just copy the DVDs for everyone.

"I think he pinned his way through Tbilisi which at the time was harder and more prestigious than the Olympics."

My high school coach won Tbilisi; Don Behm.

Was it really harder than the Olympics? Did Uetake or Watanabe do Tbilisi?

I dont know of any other way to get it.

Wade Schalles has awesome DVD's though, breaks down the technique very well in is the king of cradles and pinning in general.

IMO one of the top 5 wrestlers in American history.

I think he pinned his way through Tbilisi which at the time was harder and more prestigious than the Olympics.

Are you in HS or College?

Ask your coach because the parents club might buy it for the team if the coach recommends it or you could get a couple of teammates to pitch in and then just copy the DVDs for everyone.

Highschool, and it wouldn't work, our coach has possibly the exact opposite philosophy on wrestling as Schalles does. Did you ever watch him wrestle? I have been wanting to find a video of him wrestling on the internet but it doesn't seem to exist, from what I have heard his style would be really interesting to watch.

"I think he pinned his way through Tbilisi which at the time was harder and more prestigious than the Olympics."

My high school coach won Tbilisi; Don Behm.

Was it really harder than the Olympics? Did Uetake or Watanabe do Tbilisi?

Yeah it was harder than the Olympics and this is the reason why.

in the Olympics and Worlds you can only have one representative per country. The Former Soviet States are the best at wrestlign so there were many times when you hade the top 3 guys in the world all from the Soviet union and in the Olympics you would only have to face one of them where as Tbilisi would have all of them and you were also wrestling on thier turf.

Uetake only competed in the Olympics after College never tried for Worlds or Tbilisi I beleive.

That is an awesome highschool coach to have, Olympic Silver Medalist.

Highschool, and it wouldn't work, our coach has possibly the exact opposite philosophy on wrestling as Schalles does. Did you ever watch him wrestle? I have been wanting to find a video of him wrestling on the internet but it doesn't seem to exist, from what I have heard his style would be really interesting to watch.

Im in PA where Schalles is a legend and a lot of coaches use his rides, cradles and half nelson series. All top notch instruction.

The only footage I have ever seen is the clips from his videos, but here is a cool story.

Back in 1974, when Wade Schalles was attempting to earn college career pin No. 100, he wanted it to be special. At least his fraternity brothers at Clarion did.
Under the guise of civic duty, Schalles’ fraternity held a fundraiser for charity if he could pin his opponent from Lock Haven on a tiny X made with medical tape placed discretely on the mat. Unbeknownst to Bob Bubb, the head coach at Clarion at the time, Schalles did just that.
When Schalles hooked up his notorious cradle he was quite a distance from the mark. So when he began dragging his opponent across the mat to reach the magic spot the sellout crowd got louder and louder as Schalles approached the X.
In the process of getting his 100th pin, the taped X rolled up on the back of his defeated foe’s neck with no trace of the tape to be found

Read this link for more Info
Untitled Page

Also check out his wiki
Wade Schalles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back in 1974, when Wade Schalles was attempting to earn college career pin No. 100, he wanted it to be special. At least his fraternity brothers at Clarion did.
Under the guise of civic duty, Schalles

Uetake only competed in the Olympics after College never tried for Worlds or Tbilisi I beleive.

I was curious, because of the Uetake-Behm controversy with them not wrestling in the 1968 Olympics due to the weird system and then Behm getting beat earlier by Uetake in the college days.

Well, looks like here's something Behm did that his rival didn't, at least.

I was curious, because of the Uetake-Behm controversy with them not wrestling in the 1968 Olympics due to the weird system and then Behm getting beat earlier by Uetake in the college days.

Yeah the system was wierd and it is till stupid and wierd.

I will never understand a pool sytem Just do Double elimination tournament like usual but FILA loves to make things complicated

Yeah the system was wierd and it is till stupid and wierd.

I will never understand a pool sytem Just do Double elimination tournament like usual but FILA loves to make things complicated

Yeah, I can't stand FILA. Have you seen their put-down of freestyle as opposed to Greco? They claim freestyle has a "far less glorious" history or something on their official site. Sheer stupidity.

Yeah, I can't stand FILA. Have you seen their put-down of freestyle as opposed to Greco? They claim freestyle has a "far less glorious" history or something on their official site. Sheer stupidity.

All I can say is that if you watch the Olympic in the 90's compared to 2000's it is a lto more boring now than back then. They chane a lot of rules and they do it every year.

All I can say is that if you watch the Olympic in the 90's compared to 2000's it is a lto more boring now than back then. They chane a lot of rules and they do it every year.

Do you know how FILA became so powerful in the first place? They suck. Greco is almost totally unwatchable. Freestyle at least, still has some exciting matches.

If anyone owns this, can you PM me? I have a cradle video by him already and I'd like to see if its worth getting (I already have a big collection and if this is mostly old footage, it wouldn't have anything new for me)

thanks

In my opinion it is one of the best mat wrestling videos around, however it is strictly wrestling. I do not know if it would transfer over to BJJ. Most of the cradles are when your opponent is in the belly down position. The actual principals he uses would work anywhere in life.

This post is so old, I don't even know if this guy is still an active poster. Don Behm was a tremendous wrestler, with that being said I truly think Uetake should be included in any argument over who was the best wrestler of all time. Uetake was the first person to go undefeated in collegiate wrestling, long before Cael Sandrson, he also won the 1964 Olympics when he was still in college, long before Kyle Snyder. To my knowledge I do not think he wrestled at Tiblisi, if he did he would have definitely had a shot at winning it.

Last edited:
This post is so old, I don't even know if this guy is still an active poster. Don Behm was a tremendous wrestler, with that being said I truly think Uetake should be included in any argument over who was the best wrestler of all time. Uetake was the first person to go undefeated in collegiate wrestling, long before Cael Sandrson, he also won the 1964 Olympics when he was still in college, long before Kyle Snyder. To my knowledge I do not think he wrestled at Tiblisi, if he did he would have definitely had a shot at winning it.

Yeah, good ol' Behm was my high school coach as well as my older brother's. He also wrestled in Illinois around the same time as my dad.

I guess Behm gave Uetake his toughest collegiate match but you have to assume that Uetake would be the favorite in any international tournament he entered in his heyday. After high school, the only loss he ever suffered was one that may have never happened, to fellow Japanese Fujita, during the Olympic trials. He supposedly beat Uetake 1 out of like, 10 or so times but I guess the speculation is that they reported the single win to give Fujita credit. Who knows what the truth is there.

Yeah, good ol' Behm was my high school coach as well as my older brother's. He also wrestled in Illinois around the same time as my dad.

I guess Behm gave Uetake his toughest collegiate match but you have to assume that Uetake would be the favorite in any international tournament he entered in his heyday. After high school, the only loss he ever suffered was one that may have never happened, to fellow Japanese Fujita, during the Olympic trials. He supposedly beat Uetake 1 out of like, 10 or so times but I guess the speculation is that they reported the single win to give Fujita credit. Who knows what the truth is there.

You had a great coach, Behm was a badass. Behm also gave Gable a really tough match, Behm was beating him 5-0 but gassed and Gable pulled out the win. I take it you are from Michigan, did you ever get to train with Masaaki Hatta?

You had a great coach, Behm was a badass. Behm also gave Gable a really tough match, Behm was beating him 5-0 but gassed and Gable pulled out the win. I take it you are from Michigan, did you ever get to train with Masaaki Hatta?

Yep, I am indeed a Michigander. Behm used to always tell that Gable story but funnily enough, never mentioned Uetake. In fact, for a while I had no idea that they had even wrestled each other. I never had the honor of learning from Hatta, I believe he is somewhere around the Detroit area. His name comes up a lot and a friend of mine, Eric Moon, trained with him pretty extensively. He actually has a funny story about Hatta and the Smith family at some award ceremony.

Back