Khabib has now OUTSTRUCK pretty much all top LW strikers : RDA, MJ, Barboza, Al Iaquinta ...

Khabib only shot in for the low single because of Al's super low wrestling stance and inactivity. Khabib perfers reactive TDs, taking advantage of agressive or fearful opponents. Al was extremely cautious and left very few openings with his stance. In later rounds the low single became less effective because both men were sweating and much harder to grip onto. Plus Khabib was not commiting to them. He didn't attempt to chain his TDs which is unheard of.

While Al did build up his base a fair bit he just kept getting broken down again and gave up his back several times.

Khabib's lack of GnP in the fight shocked me. Typically, he would have landed at least 60 strikes on the ground in those first 2 rounds. He was more than capable of doing so. He was very focused on getting that RNC and came close sever times. Khabib showed good adaptation in this fight. And imo his jabs and uppercuts were surprisingly solid.

Khabib willingly took a bunch of risks to test himself. Now that he got thise answers I don't see him ever doing this again.

I think his camp will help to close up those holes and make sure he sticks to the game plan. Khabib will not fight like this against Conor.
It's possible they agreed to put on a glorified sparring match of sorts.

It felt like Khabib could've just took him down and mauled him for 5 rounds If he wanted to, even finished him. He toyed with him though. Felt like DC Anderson.

Al might not be as good of a fighter as Connor but Al's wrestling is definitely better than Connor's and he was doing everything he could to not taken down, including loosing the stand up battle.

Eddie isn't a wrestler, when has he taken somebody down ? The guy is a brawler

Conor has beaten better fighters than Khabib. This should be acknowledged. What did we really learn about him last night? Tony fell out and he was the first true test since RDA. And RDA was not RDA then. I saw a guy with very bad striking defense, that is slow on the feet. And also his wrestling slowed down as the fight went on. He is not always getting the TD, he can be stuffed. What did you see?

It's possible they agreed to put on a glorified sparring match of sorts.

It felt like Khabib could've just took him down and mauled him for 5 rounds If he wanted to, even finished him. He toyed with him though. Felt like DC Anderson.
Yeah it just felt like Khabib went about 70-80%. He never seemed like he was putting everything out there until the end of the fifth

Conor has beaten better fighters than Khabib. This should be acknowledged. What did we really learn about him last night? Tony fell out and he was the first true test since RDA. And RDA was not RDA then. I saw a guy with very bad striking defense, that is slow on the feet. And also his wrestling slowed down as the fight went on. He is not always getting the TD, he can be stuffed. What did you see?
Khabib's striking defense got worse in the 5th when he got a bit tired and AL did a good job pressuring Khabib and stuffing his takedowns in the middle of the ring. But what i saw was Khabib taking a top 10 LW and outclassing him once again. He does this to everybody (except for a juiced to the gills Thibau where he still didn't loose a round). Connor has cardio for 1 and a half rounds and that's when it's not grappling, if Khabib gets 1 takedown, Connor's will be exhausted and it's all over.

Khabib only shot in for the low single because of Al's super low wrestling stance and inactivity. Khabib perfers reactive TDs, taking advantage of agressive or fearful opponents. Al was extremely cautious and left very few openings with his stance. In later rounds the low single became less effective because both men were sweating and much harder to grip onto. Plus Khabib was not commiting to them. He didn't attempt to chain his TDs which is unheard of.

While Al did build up his base a fair bit he just kept getting broken down again and gave up his back several times.

Khabib's lack of GnP in the fight shocked me. Typically, he would have landed at least 60 strikes on the ground in those first 2 rounds. He was more than capable of doing so. He was very focused on getting that RNC and came close sever times. Khabib showed good adaptation in this fight. And imo his jabs and uppercuts were surprisingly solid.

Khabib willingly took a bunch of risks to test himself. Now that he got thise answers I don't see him ever doing this again.

I think his camp will help to close up those holes and make sure he sticks to the game plan. Khabib will not fight like this against Conor.

Having only watched the fight once (about to again), I agree with all of this.
As a huge Khabib fan, I was feeling rather anxious watching rounds 3-4 live. He was never in trouble, but I was surprised at his willingness to keep the fight in the one place he's at risk of getting caught.

I agree the AKA team will ensure there's less deviation from the game plan in the future. I don't even know anymore who I want his next opponent to be.

Khabib's striking defense got worse in the 5th when he got a bit tired and AL did a good job pressuring Khabib and stuffing his takedowns in the middle of the ring. But what i saw was Khabib taking a top 10 LW and outclassing him once again. He does this to everybody (except for a juiced to the gills Thibau where he still didn't loose a round). Connor has cardio for 1 and a half rounds and that's when it's not grappling, if Khabib gets 1 takedown, Connor's will be exhausted and it's all over.

Conor does need to improve his cardio however he made Eddie who was the champ look like he never fought. That is not top a top 10 he was number 1. He also ended Aldo's career with one punch. Slept Chad after taking some damage on the ground. His striking is so good and precise, powerful. Incredible at countering. I love him in this fight after last night.

He only stood up with Al Iaquinta really. With barboza he had already broken him after the first takedown and Khabib was just charging forward recklessly on the feet to set up a takedown. Barboza crumbles with pressure fighters and was already broken, and its not like they were standing in the pocket together training.

In the barboza fight 61% of those strikes were thrown on the ground
In the MJ fight 93% of all those strikes were thrown on the ground
In the RDA fight 50% of the strikes were thrown on the ground ans 23% in the clinch...

Khabib is outstriking opponents on the ground and in overall strikes, on the feet he is not outlanding his opponents

Conor does need to improve his cardio however he made Eddie who was the champ look like he never fought. That is not top a top 10 he was number 1. He also ended Aldo's career with one punch. Slept Chad after taking some damage on the ground. His striking is so good and precise, powerful. Incredible at countering. I love him in this fight after last night.
His win against Alvarez was definetly his most impressive one, but let's be honest, the only decent wrestler Connor fought was Mendes and the guy gave Connor tons of problems before gassing (due to short notice). And Khabib is a better and stronger wrestler than Mendes is. For Connor to have a chance against Khabib he will have to improve his wrestling and cardio and come wiwth a great gameplan.

Eddie exclusively blocks punches with his face. The man will never lose a brawl but put him up against a lengthly counter striker and his game plan crumbles.

None of the guys you mention are similar to Khabib. And Khabib is unlikely to fight like this against Conor.

Anything can happen. Khabib has a few flaws that AKA will work on. My opinion on how he matches up with the rest of the division has not changed. Tony is 50/50. Conor has to make something happen in the first 2 or he's fucked. 70/30 Khabib.

Eddie exclusively blocks punches with his face. The man will never lose a brawl but put him up against a lengthly counter striker and his game plan crumbles.

None of the guys you mention are similar to Khabib. And Khabib is unlikely to fight like this against Conor.

Anything can happen. Khabib has a few flaws that AKA will work on. My opinion on how he matches up with the rest of the division has not changed. Tony is 50/50. Conor has to make something happen in the first 2 or he's fucked. 70/30 Khabib.

Al was fine on the ground last night. He is not some JJ ace down there. People can predict Conor is getting tapped as soon as it gets down. But he is always working hard and I guarantee when he does come back, we will see the best Conor ever..

Al was fine on the ground last night. He is not some JJ ace down there. People can predict Conor is getting tapped as soon as it gets down. But he is always working hard and I guarantee when he does come back, we will see the best Conor ever..
Al has always had a vey good ground game. Certainly better than most LWs. He's shown to be much better on the ground thsn Conor.

If Conor does come back we'll see but I doubt that he will surpass Khabib's competition on the ground. I just have not seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he can do that.

Conor has his chance on the feet. If he can land a few good counters across 2 rounds then he may very well win. If Khabib keeps taking risks and ignoring hos corner then Conor's chances improve. Otherwise, the GnP and pressure will drain him until he eventually gets subbed. That's just my opinion tho.

On paper as in statistics. Think about what your are stating. You absolutely cannot throw away the context which is MMA. If Khabib and Conor fight, it will be in MMA inside the UFC Octagon. In this context, Khabib is the better striker. Why? He lands more and gets hit less. Period.

If you are going to measure who is the better striker between Conor versus Khabib using an instrument created for purely striking martial arts, then your measurements are not going to be valid/accurate, because you are in the wrong context. You can't measure the movement of atoms using Newtonian Physics. They won't be accurate.

You have to judge both fighters in the context of MMA. In this context, Khabib is a more accurate striker than Conor, and also defends strikes against him significantly better than Conor.

How they both look doing it is irrelevant, because it is MMA and not boxing or tae kwon do. Can Conor do to Khabib what he did to Eddie Alvarez? I doubt it.
I always take stats, like records, with a grain of salt and look at scenarios. Besides, don't those stats include GNP strikes? Kind of hard to judge that on paper. When Al was stuffing takedowns and forcing the fight on the feet later in that fight it was pretty apparent that a striker with more tools could have put Khabib in danger. Al's simple 1-2's didn't offer enough threat, although he was finding moderate success in those later rounds and to be honest I thought he took the 4th if I'm remembering correctly. If he had kicks in his arsenal and a diversified combination game Khabib would have been in trouble and it was obvious to me.

I'm not necessarily saying Connor or anyone else for that matter beats him, I'm certainly impressed with the rest of Khabib's game and like I said his striking skills are competent enough when paired with the rest of his skills, I just saw gaping holes in his stand-up game that are possible to exploit.

Al was a coligate wrestler with much better TDD than most LWs. His wrestling has proven to be better than Conor's.

Conor's TDD is good but nothing special compared to the guys Khabib has fought.
Depends really, what makes Conor's TDD successful is his ability to frame control on the feet. You could argue Al has the better TDD on paper but there's certain things Conor does well that might make him better able to defend takedowns against certain opponents. I'm no expert by any means when It comes to this realm, but I know a bit, It definitely seems like there's many angles to consider.

Conor went into the chad fight with a bum knee / horrible weight cut so basing his TDD entirely on that fight might not produce the most accurate picture.

Conor has never given up because he was tired.

And he can definitely KO people in the second after dropping the first to a wrestling attack, we've seen that
Again, we've seen against someone much smaller who had absolutely no training camp.
Mendes had even less gas than Conor.

But look at DIaz fight (first). Conor gave up. He had nothing more to give, and he gave up.

Al has always had a vey good ground game. Certainly better than most LWs. He's shown to be much better on the ground thsn Conor.

If Conor does come back we'll see but I doubt that he will surpass Khabib's competition on the ground. I just have not seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he can do that.

Conor has his chance on the feet. If he can land a few good counters across 2 rounds then he may very well win. If Khabib keeps taking risks and ignoring hos corner then Conor's chances improve. Otherwise, the GnP and pressure will drain him until he eventually gets subbed. That's just my opinion tho.
No. Conor is a legit brown belt and has trained with a Marcelo garcia black belt for the last few years. For anyone who doesn't know, Marcelo Garcia is top 1-2 greatest bjj practitioners to ever live along with Rickson. I grapple myself. His grappling is very underrated, It's just he mostly uses It defensively. Eddie bravo gave him credit after his loss to Nate as well, countless people In that realm acknowledge Conor's grappling to be very underrated. He's got jits.

Al Is a purple belt under matt serra.

With Khabib's combo of judo, sambo and wrestling and his mauling top game, I don't think It will keep him from taking punishment. But I would give Conor a good edge over the last few opponents Khabib has fought when It comes to the grappling.

Khabib Isn't the biggest submission threat. It's certainly there but you're far more concerned about Khabib getting on top of you and mauling you than you are of him submitting you. He's just not a finisher. Nate Is a 2nd degree black belt and he Is far more of a submission threat than Khabib, It's not even close In that sense.

Again, we've seen against someone much smaller who had absolutely no training camp.
Mendes had even less gas than Conor.

But look at DIaz fight (first). Conor gave up. He had nothing more to give, and he gave up.
He got rocked, that's why he panic shot imo. That 1-2 buzzed the fuck out of him, clean on the chin.

He obviously doesn't have great cardio though. He was more tired in the second Nate and Floyd fights but didn't quit

Depends really, what makes Conor's TDD successful is his ability to frame control on the feet. You could argue Al has the better TDD on paper but there's certain things Conor does well that might make him better able to defend takedowns against certain opponents. I'm no expert by any means when It comes to this realm, but I know a bit, It definitely seems like there's many angles to consider.

Conor went into the chad fight with a bum knee / horrible weight cut so basing his TDD entirely on that fight might not produce the most accurate picture.
Conor showed similar issues with Nate as he did with Chad in terms of TDs. His kicks aren't all that fast so catching them is very possible. And the frames only worked about half the time because it relies a lot on his reflexes. If he's late on starting that frame then he'll likely get caught up in Khabib's chain.

A lot of this depends on how Khabib sets up his TDs or he just waits for an opening like he did against MJ.

There are a lot of things to consider for sure.

He got rocked, that's why he panic shot imo. That 1-2 buzzed the fuck out of him, clean on the chin.

He obviously doesn't have great cardio though. He was more tired in the second Nate and Floyd fights but didn't quit

I see your angle, but I disagree he was rocked. IMO that was just when he realised Nate wouldn't go away.

You can say "he didn't quit", but I disagree. On Floyd fight he became a human punching bag.
And against Nate (second fight), he turned his back and run, but he knew he could get out of danger by doing that. So there was no reason to give up.

But Khabib's pressure is different. And Khabib on the ground is more brutal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back