Keith Thurman a legit star?

DeJulez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keith Thurmans pulled the best ratings on American television out of any combat athlete in the last few years on a consistent basis.

His last 4 fights
PBC on NBC 3/07/15
Keith Thurman vs Robert Guerrero
Averaged 3.4m peaked at 4.2m

PBC on ESPN 07/11/15
Keith Thurman vs Luis Collazo
Averaged 799k peaked at 1.1m

PBC on CBS 06/25/16
Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter
Averaged 3.1m peaked at 3.94m

PBC on CBS 3/04/17
Keith Thurman vs Danny Garcia
Averaged 3.74m peaked at 5.1m

Hmmm. Looking at the numbers its def an interesting question

Last edited:
Thurman-Garcia II eclipses those numbers.
Khan-Broner on the undercard if neither land a Pacquiao fight.

Thurman-Garcia II eclipses those numbers.
Khan-Broner on the undercard if neither land a Pacquiao fight.

That's probably too much in terms of purses for a single free TV card at this point.

Thurman-Guerrero averages 3.4m peaks at 4.2m
Garcia-Guerrero averages 3m peaks at 3.5m
Both were their most watched fights before facing off this past Saturday.
I think the real face of boxing is clearly Robert Guerrero.

That's probably too much in terms of purses for a single free TV card at this point.
Thurman and Garcia both made $2m
a piece.
Rematch means $3m for Thurman $2m for Garcia. Khan gets $1.5m. Broner $1.25m
Would do big ratings tho

I think that he is a star in what is sadly a fringe sport in America at this point. He's been well matched and he has drawn well, but I don't see him getting interviews on mainstream talk shows or endorsement deals and I don't think people outside of the boxing community know who he is. But you have to be a star in the boxing world before you can go beyond that, so hopefully he's on his way. If he got a fight with Mayweather, Pacquiao or Canelo--all of which are unlikely, but not out of the question--that would probably push him into the "sports star" category without the qualifier I just gave.

Look what actually happens numbers wise when you do what fans have been saying for years.
-Free Card
-Title Fight
-Spend money on mainstream promotion
-2 fighters that actually should fight each other in their prime. A legit match up. Instead of a showcase.

Look what actually happens numbers wise when you do what fans have been saying for years.
-Free Card
-Title Fight
-2 fighters that actually should fight each other in their prime. A legit match up. Instead of a showcase.

Yup...simple as that..

He and Swift are the biggest stars with the filthy casuals.

-Free Card
-Title Fight
Agreed it gets rewarded plus add to that the fighters themselves hustle to get thier names out.

I feel showcase fights are at times a necessary part of the game though

But 2017 looks to be very good year for boxing posible breakout year

Thurman and Garcia both made $2m
a piece.
Rematch means $3m for Thurman $2m for Garcia. Khan gets $1.5m. Broner $1.25m
Would do big ratings tho

If Khan and Broner are just going to accept a 1.5 each, they may as well headline their own card.

Why should the two biggest names fight on the undercard? <23>

Khan and Broner wouldn't have done 5m on cbs don't be an idiot.
Thurmans a bigger name than both. The numbers prove it.
If Khan and Broner are just going to accept a 1.5 each, they may as well headline their own card.

Why should the two biggest names fight on the undercard? <23>

I think that he is a star in what is sadly a fringe sport in America at this point.
I don't think boxing is as fringe as we think.
Warriors-Thunder last month averaged 6.1m and peaked at 7m and that was the most watched nba regular season game NOT including the games on Christmas this past season
Most NBA games average around 1.5m-3m in viewership, and no one would consider the NBA a fringe sport. They do what an average PBC on FOX does.(NBA Playoffs do 15m-25m)
Golf? Most of their tournaments do around the same numbers 1m-4m.
The US Open, one of the bigger tourneys, last year peaked at 5.1m viewers for the last hole.
The Masters peaked at 12m viewers though.

MLB averages 1m-3m for a game. Playoffs are obviously higher.

Boxing seems to be doing exactly what every other sport outside of football is doing.

Warriors-Thunder last month averaged 6.1m and peaked at 7m and that was the most watched nba regular season game NOT including the games on Christmas this past season
Most NBA games average around 1.5m-3m in viewership, and no one would consider the NBA a fringe sport. They do what an average PBC on FOX does.(NBA Playoffs do 15m-25m)
The US Open, one of the bigger tourneys, last year peaked at 5.1m viewers for the last hole.

Boxing seems to be doing exactly what every other sport outside of football is doing.

I kind of agree. Boxing has the kind of staying power when the causal tv watcher passes the channel. Most will keep going if they see golf or tennis, to a lesser degree NBA and MLB.

A lot of people will click in by accident or while browsing and stay just because Boxing is exciting and people are fighting, and its easy for anyone to watch and decide who they like more or who's more skilled and who's winning. You don't have to know teams, backstory, drama, etc for the casual person who tunes it.

The fringe are the people who are following the fight weeks in advance. I'd see the ratings of the weigh ins or 24/7 HBO series to see how big the true fan base is.

Great numbers, especially going up against NBA and MMA. Boxing rekt them.

Khan and Broner wouldn't have done 5m on cbs don't be an idiot.
Thurmans a bigger name than both. The numbers prove it.

Think about the live gate and the commercials. Its not a matter of budget. The revenue is there, they just need to give AB and Khan what they're worth. I can't picture them fighting on an undercard for a meager 1.5m, knowing that the fight won't be a cakewalk. Khan also commands a good amount of international licensing (UK, Pakistan, Middle-East). I'm sure they'd agree if it was just a squash match.

Thurman doesn't command any international licensing. No network in Pakistan is carrying his fight. No network in the middle-east is paying any decent bucks for his fight, if at all. There's many streams of revenue, we're talking about here.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's a star. He's certainly on the rise. I think there are a lot of people that see weakness in Thurman. A lot of people not ready to commit to the idea of him being the next thing.

Team sports have regional fanbase. Boxers have national fan bases. Big difference.

Compare all the viewers of NBA games in one weekend with all those watching fights and you'll see the discrepancy.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's a star. He's certainly on the rise. I think there are a lot of people that see weakness in Thurman. A lot of people not ready to commit to the idea of him being the next thing.

I don't think he's that good. A solid B level fighter. But there's no special talent at WW except Spence maybe and he's a natural 154 lber.

Back