Keith Thurman a legit star?

I don't think he's that good. A solid B level fighter. But there's no special talent at WW except Spence maybe and he's a natural 154 lber.
I've been underwhelmed too but he finds a way to win I guess.

Team sports have regional fanbase. Boxers have national fan bases. Big difference.

Compare all the viewers of NBA games in one weekend with all those watching fights and you'll see the discrepancy.
Oh I know that. U add up all the games and they do big numbers in total.
500k still watched HBO GGG-Jacob's all access during PBC, which amazes me.
But I think boxing is more relevant than we think.
Bounce just did its best network ratings ever last month for PBC on Bounce Easter-Cruz 501k viewers.

Boxing seems to be breathing @senri

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's a star. He's certainly on the rise. I think there are a lot of people that see weakness in Thurman. A lot of people not ready to commit to the idea of him being the next thing.
Ratings wise he's the top for American TV.

Ratings wise he's the top for American TV.

He's an interesting character and has a reputation for power. I wonder if the ratings will continue if doesn't start knocking people out again.

Oh I know that. U add up all the games and they do big numbers in total.
500k still watched HBO GGG-Jacob's all access during PBC, which amazes me.
But I think boxing is more relevant than we think.
Bounce just did its best network ratings ever last month for PBC on Bounce Easter-Cruz 501k viewers.

Boxing seems to be breathing @senri

Let it be known that life always expands and contracts. All things throb in it's architectural plane of existance. This phenomena allows for smooth, precise penetration of ideas to evolve with the seeds of change and adaptation

Agreed it gets rewarded plus add to that the fighters themselves hustle to get thier names out.

I feel showcase fights are at times a necessary part of the game though

But 2017 looks to be very good year for boxing posible breakout year
Yeah, I agree but for a while that is all free TV or basic cable got were one sided showcases or names nobody cared about including boxing fans

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's a star. He's certainly on the rise. I think there are a lot of people that see weakness in Thurman. A lot of people not ready to commit to the idea of him being the next thing.

right here, I think he'd be more than qualified to make good money with pac though. I just don't think he is good as people say but I think there are a lot of people who would bet he is that good. Vs garcia I had him winning round 1 I dont like to say someone "stole a round" but he landed great shots in the last minute that even youself, seano gave to thurman. and for me that was enough for him to stay undefeated. I can see arguments that garcia won but it was a close fight but I think early moments are why thurman knicked it. it could have been a draw and I'd be more than okay, they should rematch however.

I don't think Thurman is good enough to be a long term star. I think there are too many guys that beat him. He can be a part of some very good fights, though (Porter/Thurman already was very good).

If Khan and Broner are just going to accept a 1.5 each, they may as well headline their own card.

Why should the two biggest names fight on the undercard? <23>
Pretty much this. They could headline their own card on Showtime.

In terms of money to be made, Showtime/CBS wouldve made a lot more money if Thurman/Garcia was on Showtime and not CBS.

Those ratings were good, but $4 million is a lot of money and thats not sustainable.
In comparison, UFC on Fox 22 average higher than the CBS card with less than $700k payout.
I'd say Thurman/Garcia card wouldve averaged higher than UFC on Fox 22 if there wasnt such strong competition though.

Thurman-Guerrero averages 3.4m peaks at 4.2m
Garcia-Guerrero averages 3m peaks at 3.5m
Both were their most watched fights before facing off this past Saturday.
I think the real face of boxing is clearly Robert Guerrero.

Nice try, but I'm pretty sure most of us agree Kubrat Pulev is the real face of boxing.

Also Thurman is exciting, he's been fighting on channels like nbc and cbs so there's far more people who normally wouldn't go out of their way to watch boxing who tuned in and watched him. He's also loud, loud people get more attention than quiet ones. More boxers need to be loud imo. Broner's made a career out of being a loud asshole.

In terms of money to be made, Showtime/CBS wouldve made a lot more money if Thurman/Garcia was on Showtime and not CBS.

Those ratings were good, but $4 million is a lot of money and thats not sustainable.
In comparison, UFC on Fox 22 average higher than the CBS card with less than $700k payout.
I'd say Thurman/Garcia card wouldve averaged higher than UFC on Fox 22 if there wasnt such strong competition though.

Explain this part though. Why would the revenue be bigger on SHO than on CBS?
CBS has advertisements. If its a big/hyped fight, I can see why it should be on CBS.

I made that argument about Danny Garcia and everyone said I was crazy.
I was making a post that Danny was 2nd when i made this thread and then but just ended up deleting it.

Danny did 2.9m average and 3.4m peaked against Guerrero.

Thurman on ESPN against Collazo only averaged 799k and peaked at 1.1m while Garcia-Malignaggi did 1m and peaked at 1.5m

Garcia and Thurman are close in star power.

Thurman-Garcia peaked higher.
UFC can only get high views with the girls now and the girls that get them the higher views keep losing.
I see no potential in anything the ufc has coming up.
I guess Cormier and Jones II is happening. Who gives a shit anymore.

I made that argument about Danny Garcia and everyone said I was crazy.

They are both men on the fringes of mediocre celestial sentience, trying to shine their corporeal self towards the legendary flesh's of the world like Mr Mayweather. Unfortunately Seano, they are not captivating with their temperaments, prism traits of the self, all they have is the skill to keep them going as their durable and tight bodies maintains their integrity at the highest level but when they encounter someone that can pugilistically penetrate inside to tenderize the juices the masses convictions will lay true as they will eventually see the corrosion manifest itself beneath their feet as the steps slips away from their ascension of their calling. A man should never doubt his meal...

Explain this part though. Why would the revenue be bigger on SHO than on CBS?
CBS has advertisements. If its a big/hyped fight, I can see why it should be on CBS.
CBS does have ads but they average pretty high with 48 Hours on Saturdays.

The Thurman/Garcia was a Showcase to get people to subscribe to Showtime, similar to the "free preview weekend" for Showtime

I don't think Thurman is good enough to be a long term star. I think there are too many guys that beat him. He can be a part of some very good fights, though (Porter/Thurman already was very good).

Too many? Like who? Spence? Untested. Brook? Cotto? I'd favour Thurman

no he needs a strong matchup to get ratings, stars get those type of ratings fighting anyone; thurman got his big ratings w/guy very familiar to the public...

an his new boxing style, WON'T get him fans

I think that he is a star in what is sadly a fringe sport in America at this point. He's been well matched and he has drawn well, but I don't see him getting interviews on mainstream talk shows or endorsement deals and I don't think people outside of the boxing community know who he is. But you have to be a star in the boxing world before you can go beyond that, so hopefully he's on his way. If he got a fight with Mayweather, Pacquiao or Canelo--all of which are unlikely, but not out of the question--that would probably push him into the "sports star" category without the qualifier I just gave.
He can be a star if haymon promotes him right.

He's speaks well and is good looking

This whole pbc was put together to create stars, Thurman and Spence have come out the pack

Back