COBRA KAI - Karate Kid TV Sequel (Season One)

If you have seen the entire season one of COBRA KAI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best news I've gotten since PRIDE announced the matchups for the OWGP back in '06.

<mma4>

Interesting. Will definitely keep my eye on it.

Btw, fuck the remake and fuck Jaden Smiff
2670822_o.gif

chGuYUB

Where's the clip in the lull of the din thomas/ kenny florian fight where someone shouts get him a body bag?

I guess im the only one that has no clue what youtube red is.

<{vega}>
Youtube has a premium content subscription service where you can watch new shows like fruit ninja

Cool. Hope Johnny wins this time.

really needs jaden smith in it for it to work

What if Jaden is already in it? What if all of us are already in everything??
Where's the clip in the lull of the din thomas/ kenny florian fight where someone shouts get him a body bag?

Youtube has a premium content subscription service where you can watch new shows like fruit ninja

hahah.

In the Story-Hendricks fight there were some great, loud crowd references to the Karate Kid too a la Johny Hendricks having the same first name as Zabka's character.

I remember someone yelled out, "Sweep the leg, Johny!"

and then later "Get him a body bag!"

pretty funny at the time for sure.

KARATE KID TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red

HDwKf1j.jpg

Three decades after The Karate Kid, original stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are heading back to the dojo. The duo are set to reprise their roles as underdog Daniel LaRusso (Macchio) and bully Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) in a 10-episode straight-to-series follow-up called Cobra Kai for subscription service YouTube Red.

The series, set to bow in 2018, is set 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament and revolves around a down and out Johnny who, seeking redemption, reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo. It reignites his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel, who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi (the late Pat Morita). The half-hour comedy follows the duo addressing demons from their past and present frustrations — through (what else?) karate.

Josh Heald (Hot Tub Time Machine) as well as duo Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg (Harold and Kumar) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Macchio and Zabka. Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series. Will Smith's Sony Pictures Television Studios-based Overbrook Entertainment will exec produce with James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett overseeing for the company.

Macchio and Zabka are expected to make an appearance Friday at YouTube's portion of the Television Critics Association's summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

"Like everyone who grew up in the 1980s, the three of us are enormous fans of The Karate Kid,” Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg said in a joint statement. "Cobra Kai will be a true continuation of the original films — packed with comedy, heart and thrilling fight scenes. We can’t wait to reignite the LaRusso-Lawrence rivalry, and we’re thankful to our partners at YouTube Red, Sony Pictures Television and Overbrook for their shared enthusiasm in making our dream project a reality."

The series landed at YouTube Red following a competitive bidding process that sources say also included offers from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and AMC after Macchio and Zabka pitched the series all over town. Macchio appeared in all three original Karate Kid features, while Zabka had roles in the first two. "They were enthusiastic and fun," YouTube global head of originals Susanne Daniels tells THR of the pitch meeting. "I don’t know whether they had rehearsed it, but they played the parts of their characters well. More than anything, it was just amazing to see them together again."

Daniels, who said Karate Kid still resonates with YouTube users today, noted that the series comes as part of an effort to age up YouTube Red's demographic from 18-34 to the more advertiser-coveted 18-49 set. "It had all the elements you look for in a strong show. It had heart, it had laughs, it had drama, it had characters with strong points of view. All of it was there in the pitch," Daniels said.

Asked specifically why they were ditching the familiar Karate Kid title in favor of Cobra Kai, Daniels said it was driven by the story. "If The Karate Kid was Daniel’s story, Cobra Kai is equal parts Daniel and Johnny’s story. Also because this is a series and not a movie, we really wanted to reimagine how the story was told. Changing the name made sense as part of that."

'Karate Kid' TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red (Exclusive)

I would be more interested if this was already on a service I subscribe to (Hulu or Netflix). This is the first I have heard of YouTube Red. Loved the original Karate Kid.

raw

I'm definitely open to legitimate sequels. As long as it's not a reboot or remake, I'm definitely open to it.

I think I'm going to go back and rewatch the first 3 films. Haven't seen them since the early 90s.

I wonder if No More King's "Sweep the Leg" is canon, and Johnny is still living in a trailer with the chick from Yes, Dear.

Must watch for any Karate Kid fan who hasn't seen it.

I like this more as a drama, but I guess that ain't happening.

It will obviously be a straight-up comedy if it's from the writers of Hot Tub Time Machine, and Harold & Kumar.

Oh well, hopefully it is fun. I have literally no expectations for this to be good.

If this had to be done, I'd probably have preferred it Color of Money / Creed style. We already got the down and out Kreese in Karate Kid 3 and I like it. Down and out funny Johnny?

The Karate Kid was great because the cheezy melodrama of the 80s was delivered earnestly, like Rocky 4.

Self-aware semi-meta-parody of the 80s, within one of the decade-defining franchises and with the original cast? I dunno...

If this had to be done, I'd probably have preferred it Color of Money / Creed style. We already got the down and out Kreese in Karate Kid 3 and I like it. Down and out funny Johnny?

The Karate Kid was great because the cheezy melodrama of the 80s was delivered earnestly, like Rocky 4.

Self-aware semi-meta-parody of the 80s, within one of the decade-defining franchises and with the original cast? I dunno...

I'm expecting something much closer in feel to Eastbound & Down, rather than a true sequel to the original films. A nearly unrelated project. Which is fine I guess, at least they aren't calling it Karate Kid: The Series.

I feel bad for Macchio. He was typecasted, and never had another role besides My Cousin Vinny. But even after that he could get nothing.

He went to the same high school as too of my cousins on Long Island. Many years apart though of course.

I feel bad for Macchio. He was typecasted, and never had another role besides My Cousin Vinny. But even after that he could get nothing.

He went to the same high school as too of my cousins on Long Island. Many years apart though of course.

Hey, at least he is in two absolute classics, top-shelf films, in two different decades. Most actors never get the chance to ever be in one.

Hey, at least he is in two absolute classics, top-shelf films, in two different decades. Most actors never get the chance to ever be in one.

So was William Zabka if you count Shootfighter: Fight to the Death.

I thought when the sequel started the Cobra Kai kids were cool with Mr. Miyagi after he whooped Kreese's butt in the parking lot?
No, they lost faith in karate and instead started training in Thai boxing

Is Mr. Terry Silver making an appearance as well?

Can't believe he is a year younger than Ralph machiou in real life....

I'm actually really excited for this. I just watched all three films last week and enjoyed them. I really hope they're able to get Elisabeth Shue to sign on. I'd love to see her back. If not her, maybe the Japanese chick from II.

Or fuck it, sign Hilary Swank (yeah right) and have her and Daniel get married. That would blow my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back