Karate blackbelts in MMA

No actually I'm smugly pointing out that you are assuming that distance can't find counters to pressure like pressure found counters to distance.

Plus the fact that what you guys call "Karate"(such a sophomoric term to anyone who's taken the time to learn about Japanese martial arts) is already adapted to a skill set outside it's functional purpose. The function of martial arts were to stand off at distance and incapacitate the enemy until a weapon could be recovered. The Japanese "Karate" tries to keep some of that phylosophy by structuring it's training and sparing in the way it does. Arts like BJJ, Judo, wrestling, boxing or Muay Thai do not. The focus on the individual aspects of 1v1 combat in a safe non lethal environment.

All of you sport and MMA purists forget that.

So in fact any high level success of "Karate" in sport sparring against arts that are specifically adapted to the ring is as much achievement as needed. It is already not in it's intended environment.

If a Enkamp can make it past 3 rounds and only get beat up a bit than he's a successful display of distance based fighting. His opponent was trying to KO him and couldn't. Plus the fact he took the fight with no camp and 12 days notice and facing a weight cutter who use to fight a division higher.

That's why I'm picking apart your assumptions and making you clarify you terms.
Whatever your point may be, I would highly advise against delivering it "smugly" or condescendingly - it doesn't make the conversation pleasant and puts people in a defensive state as soon as they read your post, which in turn hurts the level of discussion and eventually overshadows whatever point you were trying to make.

In short: be nice to people and they will listen. Be a dick and they will hate you, no matter how smart you are.

Now, to address your post above - you know darn well I'm one of the biggest Karate fans on Sherdog but I'm pretty sure that @a guy is not actually criticizing Karate (Japanese, Okinawan, sport, traditional, whatever) but rather pointing out a weakness of long-distance fighting focus. This is something I think we can agree on.

I do agree with you that Karate is not specifically designed for MMA, ring fighting or prize fighting so its success in these fields is an achievement in itself - but this is already obvious to most (if not all) people in this thread. We have a goddamn list of successful Karateka here, there's no need to defend Karate's reputation anymore. ;)

Finally, a word about Enkamp. The guy is great, very talented and very brave to take such a tough fight with 12 days notice. He did very well for a UFC newcomer and I praise him, wish him all the best and root for him. But calling his fight "a successful display of distance based fighting" is a bit of a stretch... Machida is a successful display of distance based fighting. Wonderboy is a successful display of distance based fighting. Enkamp unfortunately let Taleb walk him down way too much, he backed up straight to the cage and did not escape, dodge and angle out nearly as well as I expected him to. Indeed, Taleb had a huge weight advantage - but that's just another reason to implement the "elusive" point-fighting style and win a UD instead of struggling on the ground like Oliver did.

Compare Enkamp to Lyoto's early fights and tell me you don't see a difference. Maybe it was "UFC jitters" or something, I do think he will improve but his debut wasn't exactly dazzling.

No actually I'm smugly pointing out that you are assuming that distance can't find counters to pressure like pressure found counters to distance.

Plus the fact that what you guys call "Karate"(such a sophomoric term to anyone who's taken the time to learn about Japanese martial arts) is already adapted to a skill set outside it's functional purpose. The function of martial arts were to stand off at distance and incapacitate the enemy until a weapon could be recovered. The Japanese "Karate" tries to keep some of that phylosophy by structuring it's training and sparing in the way it does. Arts like BJJ, Judo, wrestling, boxing or Muay Thai do not. The focus on the individual aspects of 1v1 combat in a safe non lethal environment.

All of you sport and MMA purists forget that.

So in fact any high level success of "Karate" in sport sparring against arts that are specifically adapted to the ring is as much achievement as needed. It is already not in it's intended environment.

If a Enkamp can make it past 3 rounds and only get beat up a bit than he's a successful display of distance based fighting. His opponent was trying to KO him and couldn't. Plus the fact he took the fight with no camp and 12 days notice and facing a weight cutter who use to fight a division higher.

That's why I'm picking apart your assumptions and making you clarify you terms.

And I'm pointing out that they haven't found those counters. They've all lost to the exact same style once they weren't fighting less talented athletes who they had probably a decade of striking experience over.

Every style has to adapt to MMA. Karate doesn't get participation points because Enkamp lost to a decent UFC fighter. He lost. Guys have made much tougher UFC debuts against much tougher fighters than Taleb and still won. Lauzon debuted against Pulver. Thiago debuted against Koscheck. JDS debuted against Werdum. They all finished MUCH tougher opponents than Taleb. Not only did Enkamp lose, he lost to the same style of pressure that every long-range fighter loses against.

You're still ignoring my points by the way.

And I'm pointing out that they haven't found those counters. They've all lost to the exact same style once they weren't fighting less talented athletes who they had probably a decade of striking experience over.

Every style has to adapt to MMA. Karate doesn't get participation points because Enkamp lost to a decent UFC fighter. He lost. Guys have made much tougher UFC debuts against much tougher fighters than Taleb and still won. Lauzon debuted against Pulver. Thiago debuted against Koscheck. JDS debuted against Werdum. They all finished MUCH tougher opponents than Taleb. Not only did Enkamp lose, he lost to the same style of pressure that every long-range fighter loses against.

I don't think it matters in the long term weather "Karate" "wins" in your definition in all sport settings.

I thought I outlined what my critiques were many posts ago that are in line with your "sport only" analysis ability.

Better close quarters techniques from the hands, elbows and knees.

Leg kicks with intelligent tactics to control TD's.

Anticipating the cage cutting movement.

Keeping focus(body center mass) low for TDD and techniques rather than head hunting.

I thought I addressed all that ages ago.

Yeah, I get a little salty when a dude comes in with less than a two week camp, doesn't get KO'd or subed. Makes some mistakes but easily makes it to a judges decision and the MMA is everything crowd comes in and says it wasn't all that impressive.

Fuck all if that wasn't impressive or many seasoned "traditional MMA" guys could come close!

@Hotora86 I humbly apologize....But then again I was never one to not walk away from a fight or argument very easily.

Cheers!

The trouble with discussing a lot of these match ups, is that everyone worth their salt agrees that styles make fights. Yet when it refers more specifically to martial arts styles people jump to its the practitioner, not the martial art.

Now it's true that Samart Payakaroon has more in common stylistically with Lyoto Machida, than he does his fellow nak muay Dieselnoi - but I also think it's true that martial arts like karate, which tend to have a more rigid structure to learning - do tend to develop more similar approaches to fighting.

When you go to a Shotokan class, there is a very clear idea of what shotokan is, and even between styles, Gunnar Nelson (goju) has much in common with Lyoto. I think that is because you go to a karate class, you learn your basic reverse punch and front kick, you learn your katas and there is a syllabus. Whereas in Muay Thai, what you learn depends heavily on who you train under - obviously there is variation from coach to coach in karate but I don't think its AS varied as muay thai.

The thing is it's not very easy at all to make style vs style comparisons as far as perceived strengths and weaknesses are concerned because fights aren't just style vs style comparisons but also skill vs skill comparisons. The line between the two is almost always blurred - sure you can come up with general stylistic difference but it's much harder to go beyond that and pinpoint stylistic weaknesses/strengths confidently.

Then there is the added layer of taking into account physical differences and how a fight actually plays out. @aguy mentioned Rockhold, Jones, Romero, Rua as examples of pressure styles but you can't ignore the fact that there are skill/physical differences. The fact that Jones holds a considerable reach advantage, Romero is very explosive & able to cover range extremely quickly - are factors that definitely come into consideration (significantly so for an in/out point fighter). In regards to Rockhold - Machida clearly had the advantage in the striking department (he made Rockhold look clumsy in the first round as he pressured) - then he gets grappled fucked and is clearly out of fuel when the next round begins as Rockhold begins to pressure him well (easy to do if the other guy is out of fuel) & eventually drags him to the floor and chokes him out.

It's not as simple as saying a pressure fighter gives these in/out fighters problems. As @Hotora86 mentioned Mousasi is a pressure/counter fighter but he had clear issues dealing with Machida and he's not the only one - a lot of people have attempted to pressure - it doesn't always work if the other variables don't come together. Sure I agree with aguy that pressure is the way to go when dealing with in/out fighters strategy wise but even that doesn't necessarily guarantee success if the guy you're fighting has you beat on the other variables.

In regards to the consistency among karate styles - I agree to an extent but there are clear differences with most karate styles. But I think that consistency really depends on the karate style & the actual sports/sparring rules of that style. You make the case of Gunnar & Machida being very similar which is true but Japanese Goju is very similar to shotokan - since they both developed on the mainland (and were influenced by Funakoshi's ideas of karate). Okinawan Goju, uechi ryu, shorin-ryu, Kyokushin, Enshin, Kempo, Kudo - are all very different from one another.

Take for example Wonderboy - the only real similarity he has with Machida & Nelson is the in/out movement - other than that his shot selection, front leg techniques (side kicks), very side on stance is very different from the Karate of Machida or Nelson. How often have you seen Machida that sideways on and throwing lead leg side kicks or even hook kicks?

I disagree I think Muay Thai instruction isn't as varied as Karate - they're pretty much the same. There is definite consistency within styles of karate but among styles of karate not so much.

So when there is such a stereotypical style to point based karate, I think it IS fair to say that styles do indeed make fights, and even if you're a very good karateka, if you fight in a very rigid karate style like Machida or Nelson, you will stylistically come across issues with low kicks, and hooked punches. Purely because those styles don't tend to teach defence for hooked punches and low kicks, and actively teach you a way of punching that involves you dropping the guard.

If I hypothetically put a guy who ONLY trained karate hand techniques against a boxer, even if they'd trained the same amount of time, he's still liable to get knocked about because of the fundamental flaws in those techniques.

I realise that might sound like I'm invalidating karate, but I think karate is far from useless, hell I'm sure there are some wing chun guys who would wipe the floor with me - but I do think that people like to turn a blind eye to the old phrase, styles make fights, when it becomes more about karate vs muay thai vs boxing - and less about infighter vs outfighter.

That's just my thoughts.

As I've said above I don't agree with the style makes fights - sure it definitely has some impact but there are many variables at play outside the realm of style vs style issues.

The range of point fighting styles are very different to muay thai, kickboxing & boxing. This is why you rarely see hook punches or low kicks in point fighting competition because you have to be within a certain range to apply it (you see leg kicks more often than hooks). The ideal in point fighting is to hit someone cleanly and then avoid getting hit in return (in/out). This is why you rarely see those techniques. You are taught how to defend against low kicks and hook punches the issue is that no-one really uses it in point fighting because of the ranges and then of course if you fight that way it becomes a habit.

The lower guard makes sense when you're fighting at that point fighting range - it makes less sense when you fight in muay thai, kickboxing or boxing range.

Personally I agree with you - I'd rather keep my hands where they can protect my head and I'm a hook throwing man.

True - if you put a boxer vs a guy who only trained karate hand techniques my money would generally be on the boxer. But not because of inherent flaws in Karate but because boxing yields faster results than karate training (generally). Thankfully karate is more than just hand techniques. But that comparison is not a realistic one - fights outside of sports are rarely unarmed and if they are there's no guarantee it's 1 on 1.

Then again it's great that boxers have better hands than karateka (I like boxing) but the issue no-one ever addresses is the timeframe in which people train which I feel is way more important than style vs style comparisons or whether one art is more or less effective than another. Muay Thai, Kickboxing & Boxing tend to be sports that people train in within a specific time frame of their life - sure a few keep up the practise most don't (who wants to get punched in the head in their 50's or 60's). I'm sure many here on sherdog will eventually move on to something different. Karate on the other hand does a significantly better job of keeping people training well into their 70's or 80's. I think that is more important because the discussion of a boxer vs a karate guy no longer applies if one of them has stopped training.

I agree with the points your making a guy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

But I think I should add that every style including the in/out style all have their issues.

Of course if they want to be more complete they need to learn how to operate within the pocket. Nothing wrong with what you're saying.

Thankfully because I'm challenged height wise (just under 5ft7) lol I only have to bother with learning to fight in the pocket or up close as far as striking goes.

Somewhat sure, but Machida's style of punching is also long ranged. Usually just one shot then he's out, and Machida is actually a great example to study because he was very good in the clinch so it wasn't easy to catch him in the pocket. And yet, guys still did. Jones, Shogun, Weidman, Rockhold and Romero all found a way--Weidman was the only one of those who failed to finish him.

I think that's a tough position to take. Let's abandon Jones for a moment since it's Jon Jones and I'd find it hard to argue that losing to him indicates some larger fundamental flaw in any fighter or style. He was just dominant.

But Rockhold and Romero were both after Machida turned 35 and was already starting to slow down. Shogun beat him by catching him as Machida overrelied on his trapping entry. I think it's hard to take anything about karate from the 2nd Shogun fight.

I don't think it's any great surprise that fighters who relied on speed advantages start getting beat once those advantages start to disappear. Machida started getting older/slower and dropped into the faster MW class at the same time.

I think that's a tough position to take. Let's abandon Jones for a moment since it's Jon Jones and I'd find it hard to argue that losing to him indicates some larger fundamental flaw in any fighter or style. He was just dominant.

But Rockhold and Romero were both after Machida turned 35 and was already starting to slow down. Shogun beat him by catching him as Machida overrelied on his trapping entry. I think it's hard to take anything about karate from the 2nd Shogun fight.

I don't think it's any great surprise that fighters who relied on speed advantages start getting beat once those advantages start to disappear. Machida started getting older/slower and dropped into the faster MW class at the same time.
Good point!

I don't think it matters in the long term weather "Karate" "wins" in your definition in all sport settings.

I thought I outlined what my critiques were many posts ago that are in line with your "sport only" analysis ability.

Keeping focus(body center mass) low for TDD and techniques rather than head hunting.

Yeah, I get a little salty when a dude comes in with less than a two week camp, doesn't get KO'd or subed. Makes some mistakes but easily makes it to a judges decision and the MMA is everything crowd comes in and says it wasn't all that impressive.

Fuck all if that wasn't impressive or many seasoned "traditional MMA" guys could come close!

@Hotora86 I humbly apologize....But then again I was never one to not walk away from a fight or argument very easily.

Cheers!

It absolutely matters whether or not karate guys win. They're training to win in that format. A failure to win is a failure to adapt their style.

Sure, better close quarters techniques are the solution in theory, but it's yet to be done. None of these guys have managed to get rid of their weakness in the pocket, so they've all been beaten there--including Enkamp. It wasn't all that impressive, and tons of "traditional MMA guys" have won harder fights. Taleb is a pretty good fighter but nothing special. Enkamp did pretty well, but he lost the fight due to clear stylistic weaknesses. You don't get to brag because your guy managed to survive the fight when he lost every round.

It's not fair to dismiss Jones just because he's Jones. The method he used to beat Machida is important. He pressured Machida back near the cage and landed a big right hand before taking Machida down and busting him up with elbows. After Machinda got up, Jones pressured him back to the cage and used a feint to get Machida to throw a predictable punch (his reverse punch counter), and traded his right hand for that to catch Machida in the pocket. Machida went down, and Jones put him to sleep with that guillotine. That's the basic pressure, make them fight in the pocket strategy that always beats these long range guys.

Shogun arguably beat Machida twice, first with pressure and low kicks then by throwing at the same time as Machida just like Jones did. Weidman, who was never fast, walked Machida down and beat him with basic cage cutting and pressure. Romero is older than Machida. Rockhold didn't beat Machida with speed, he's not that fast and Machida looked significantly faster early.

Machida is probably the most successful representation of karate in MMA. He's a former champ and a great fighter, but he still lost to the same things all these long range styles lose to.

It absolutely matters whether or not karate guys win. They're training to win in that format. A failure to win is a failure to adapt their style.

Sure, better close quarters techniques are the solution in theory, but it's yet to be done. None of these guys have managed to get rid of their weakness in the pocket, so they've all been beaten there--including Enkamp. It wasn't all that impressive, and tons of "traditional MMA guys" have won harder fights. Taleb is a pretty good fighter but nothing special. Enkamp did pretty well, but he lost the fight due to clear stylistic weaknesses. You don't get to brag because your guy managed to survive the fight when he lost every round.
What ever dude, U win!

Your winner take all is the best!

If anyone loses at the tippy top level than they're style is shit.

What ever!

LOL!

What ever dude, U win!

What ever!

LOL!

Why do you insist on responding so immaturely? This is a discussion forum, for the discussion and debate of ideas. You're willfully ignoring my points or reacting to them like I'm attacking you personally. Take a deep breath and understand that disagreeing with your beliefs isn't the same as attacking your character.

The ironic thing is you're mad that I'm holding karate to a higher standard.

What ever dude, U win!

What ever!

LOL!

@a guy is actually right, and I'm saying that as someone whose base is Karate. There's no need to use sarcasm and big LOL!'s, you might as well admit that you're wrong.

Karate does have some weaknesses, just like any other style, and @a guy is spot on when talking about what those are.

Unfortunately there isn't many Karateka's who are top level in MMA, and none of them were dominant apart from GSP and that's because his style is massively relying on wrestling and boxing rather than Karate.

Machida had a good run but then only managed to defend his title once before losing it and never winning a title again.

Last edited:

Jeez how many times do I have to post this?

I got salty when we were posting how Enkamp came in and didn't get KO'd by a bigger fighter with TWO WEEKS CAMP!

Guy comes on ignores that and keeps repeating it's not impressive like he's some throw back to 2005 where he feels safe and comfortable with what MMA was.

Whatever!

I like Karate in MMA!

If you don't like Karate in MMA...

Than why are you on this thread?

I got salty when we were posting how Enkamp came in and didn't get KO'd by a bigger fighter with TWO WEEKS CAMP!

Guy comes on ignores that and keeps repeating it's not impressive like he's some throw back to 2005 where he feels safe and comfortable with what MMA was.

Whatever!

I like Karate in MMA!

There's a difference between liking Karate in MMA and being blind to the fact that Karate has weaknesses in MMA, just like any other style has weaknesses.

It's fine to be an Emkemp fan but let's not pretend he's some kind of top level legend.

There's a difference between liking Karate in MMA and being blind to the fact that Karate has weaknesses in MMA, just like any other style has weaknesses.

It's fine to be an Emkemp fan but let's not pretend he's some kind of top level legend.

I thought I addressed all that ages ago

Whatever!

I like Karate in MMA!

I'm not ignoring it, I've said multiple times that other fighters have made tougher debuts and survived, or even won. Taleb isn't even ranked and never will be but he had very little trouble with Enkamp. He shut down every part of Enkamp's game and won every single round.

You don't get to brag about surviving a fight like that. If he debuted against someone maybe in the top 15 or 20, had some good moments but lost then sure, but that's not the case. Taleb is 36 years old and outside the top 30, but he had an answer for everything Enkamp tried while Enkamp had no answer for much of what Taleb did.

Seriously, what a low standard that is. HE STAYED CONSCIOUS! No man, he lost to a decent fighter on short notice. He has a lot of potential and I predict will end up being more successful than Taleb by the time he's done, but he has a lot to learn after losing just about every aspect of that fight.

I thought I addressed all that ages ago

Spamming the same shit over and over doesn't make it any more valid or relevant. Good display of your level of maturity tough.

I'm not ignoring it, I've said multiple times that other fighters have made tougher debuts and survived, or even won. Taleb isn't even ranked and never will be but he had very little trouble with Enkamp. He shut down every part of Enkamp's game and won every single round.

You don't get to brag about surviving a fight like that. If he debuted against someone maybe in the top 15 or 20, had some good moments but lost then sure, but that's not the case. Taleb is 36 years old and outside the top 30, but he had an answer for everything Enkamp tried while Enkamp had no answer for much of what Taleb did.

Seriously, what a low standard that is. HE STAYED CONSCIOUS! No man, he lost to a decent fighter on short notice. He has a lot of potential and I predict will end up being more successful than Taleb by the time he's done, but he has a lot to learn after losing just about every aspect of that fight.
isnt Taleb a kyokushin guy?

It's not fair to dismiss Jones just because he's Jones. The method he used to beat Machida is important. He pressured Machida back near the cage and landed a big right hand before taking Machida down and busting him up with elbows. After Machinda got up, Jones pressured him back to the cage and used a feint to get Machida to throw a predictable punch (his reverse punch counter), and traded his right hand for that to catch Machida in the pocket. Machida went down, and Jones put him to sleep with that guillotine. That's the basic pressure, make them fight in the pocket strategy that always beats these long range guys.

Shogun arguably beat Machida twice, first with pressure and low kicks then by throwing at the same time as Machida just like Jones did. Weidman, who was never fast, walked Machida down and beat him with basic cage cutting and pressure. Romero is older than Machida. Rockhold didn't beat Machida with speed, he's not that fast and Machida looked significantly faster early.

Machida is probably the most successful representation of karate in MMA. He's a former champ and a great fighter, but he still lost to the same things all these long range styles lose to.

I will never acknowledge the first Shogun fight as anything but a tough victory for Machida. I will go to my grave defending that decision. :)

But my point with Jones is that Jones dominated every style. We don't turn around and say that the flaw is wrestling or MT is analogous to how Jones beat fighters that relied on those arts.

As for the MW class, I was saying that Machida relied on a speed advantage as LHW that simply wasn't there in MW which when combined with his aging leads to the type of losses that all speed based fighters eventually run into, not just karate fighters and not just long range fighters. I'm not saying that he didn't lose the way you're describing or for the flaws that you're describing. I'm simply pointing out that attributing them to karate is too narrow. Outfighters in boxing eventually lose the same way. Few MT based fighters are still dominant strikers as they age. The fighters with the most longevity tend to be grappling based guys. There are always a few freak striking athletes whose skill outweighs the decline in physical ability but they tend to transform into defensive fighters over time.

Back