KİCKBOXİNG+WRESTLİNG=GOOD COMBO FOR MMA?

Ensar Alparslan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello guys and girls,
First of all i live in a small city/town in Turkey so there are no MMA gyms here.İ started Kicmboxing and my coaches were very impressed and said i would become something phenomenol/outstanding.My main goal tho is Mma.My plan was like this:
İll continue Kickboxing and a friend of mine who became regional Wrestlinng Champion after like 1 Month or so Training will teach me wrestling 1-2 times a week and we might also practice mma drills and submissions etc.
You think kickboxing + Wrestling is a good combo for MMA?

Yes, if you use your wrestling to avoid going to the ground.

No, if anything its good.

My arrangement is similar, MT and wrasslin. Its served me well as I'm a striker who looks to keep it standing. BJJ and judo have always felt non-intuitive for me while wrestling clicked on day 1.

Ideally you find which style matches with you personally best.

Last edited:
No, if anything its good.

My arrangement is similar, MT and wrasslin. Its served me well as I'm a striker who looks to keep it standing. BJJ and juso have also felt non intuitive for me while wrestling clicked on day 1.

Ideally you find which style matches with you personally best.

English isnt my first language sorry but i disnt understand your first sentence.Good or not?

Yes, if you use your wrestling to avoid going to the ground.
its the only option i have.Only big cities like İstanbul etc here have MMA gyms with black belt Jiu jitsu trainers.The only options i have is training Kickboxing and Wrestling with a talented dude.

English isnt my first language sorry but i disnt understand your first sentence.Good or not?
He said it is good, and he's right. Wrestling allows you to dictate where the fight goes, in your case I'd work on takedown defence, allows you to keep the fight standing

If your opponent is a better wrestler and knows more jujitsu, you have a problem. Plan B is to work on your striking in a clinch if that happens.

If your opponent is a jujitsu guy, he will not be able take you down, and you can just outstrike him

If your opponent is a better wrestler and knows more jujitsu, you have a problem. Plan B is to work on your striking in a clinch if that happens.

If your opponent is a jujitsu guy, he will not be able take you down, and you can just outstrike him

thanks man your comment gave me hope.the dude i train with is also a talented dude and strong so ill have a good “coach”

If you have no dedicated mma gyms then by all means do wrestling, and KB. Then move out of country or go to Caucasus Region, and try Combat Sambo. It is most important to spar under a ruleset similar to MMA.

Hey man, you gotta work with what you got.
Also, YouTube can be a big help

yes but i mean also in general is KİCKBOXİNG AND WRESTLİNG a good combo.

It can be, Turkey has a good wrestling background and their kickboxing is reasonable. You might need a bit of BJJ for defense........

Can I ask, what type of wrestling are you training......

It can be, Turkey has a good wrestling background and their kickboxing is reasonable. You might need a bit of BJJ for defense........

Can I ask, what type of wrestling are you training......

İ didnt start the wrestling yet but i think its greco roman or freestyle(i dont know exactly to be honest).And yes Gökhan Saki is our pride 83 or 86 Wins in his Pro Career and 1dt round ko in his UFC debut
also the dude ill train with is very talented he became regional champion after a couple of weeks of training

depend son your wrestling style since kick boxers stand taller than boxers level changing will be telegraphed greco techniques would be better working clinch and front head locks to take the guy down

depend son your wrestling style since kick boxers stand taller than boxers level changing will be telegraphed greco techniques would be better working clinch and front head locks to take the guy down
im 1.74-.175 (meters)

Hello guys and girls,
First of all i live in a small city/town in Turkey so there are no MMA gyms here.İ started Kicmboxing and my coaches were very impressed and said i would become something phenomenol/outstanding.My main goal tho is Mma.My plan was like this:
İll continue Kickboxing and a friend of mine who became regional Wrestlinng Champion after like 1 Month or so Training will teach me wrestling 1-2 times a week and we might also practice mma drills and submissions etc.
You think kickboxing + Wrestling is a good combo for MMA?
Yes that is an excellent combo. You will have to make sure that you train at a MMA gym one day though, because you are bound to have holes in your style at first. If you can, try to spar with takedowns sometimes.

I mean, if anything, sprawl-n-brawl is the most common archetype there is in MMA.

Last edited:
Just make sure you aren't learning turkish oil wrestling:

0GPC3w.gif

I don't think this would make a very good combo for MMA.

You don't want to be the guy at the gym that takes of his shirt & oils himself down ready for wrasslin.

Edit: I joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure you aren't learning turkish oil wrestling:
0GPC3w.gif

I don't think this would make a very good combo for MMA.

You don't want to be the guy at the gym that takes of his shirt & oils himself down ready for wrasslin.

Edit: I joke.
I+have+good+day+i+dont+need+your+sabotage+im+_c75b4247a990fd969427b580774d5eea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you go to a wrestling club? Turkey must be full of them. I don't think it would be too difficult to find a good club in Istanbul. Merhaba btw

Back