Just watched Gokhan Saki vs Henrique da Silva

Jones fought OSP after a 16 months layoff, it was a horrible fight for Jones.

Saki fights his first fight in the UFC, he hasn't fought for 30 months and destroyed Silva in the first round.

#andnew2018
By horrible you mean dominating the whole fight, winning all rounds and never being in trouble.

Its true that not all kickboxers are well suited for MMA, just as with boxing some of them depend quiet heavily on the high guard with large gloves. Look at Overeem for example who when he switched back to MMA arguably lost the standup to every decent striker he faced(Werdum, Bigfoot, Browne) because he couldn't hide behind his guard and counter the same way, it was only when he started to shift tactics and control distance more that he started to get better results.

Saki to me though like Hunt and Crocop seems much better suited for MMA, his game was always to go after opponents aggressively rather than defending and countering.

In K1, like boxing, you can get back up after being knocked down. I hope Saki doesn't have that so deeply ingrained into him that he's not as worried about getting rocked.
They do standing TKO's aswell though if you're getting lit up badly and not defending yourself.

Signed! His striking is still high class. Those lefts are badass. Lovely to watch.

Same. I don't give a shit if he ends up being a top 5 guy or not, he's an exciting guy to watch nonetheless.

Man that was worse than I thought. Saki ate 3000 punches,got outclinched badly(he started running at some point to avoid the clinch) ,gassed in litterally 3 minutes and was getting tagged bad by da Silva who was just throwing wild hooks lol. And he was fighting against a guy who's mediocre at best and an excellent stylistically matchup. I hope there will be some "this guy could be champion with 6 months of grappling training" less now lol.

Avoiding the clinch was smart since he was obviously better from range than his opponent and there was less risk of a takedown from range.

Lmao true but there's slightly less pressure on being dropped. In MMA if you are rocked and dropped you are basically fucked most of the time and will lose the entire fight seconds later. Boxers and kickboxers have a much higher chance to recover if they go down.
Meh , going to the ground after beeing rocked is a relief for some. Just depends how much you’re rocked. Saki would get mauled on the ground tho

Saki did ok, got the win, he did gassed badly and was getting tagged near the end of the fight.

Lol. All of a sudden Perry is "pretty much top 15".

Looking forward to the day when he will be "a gatekeeper at best". Let me take a guess: if he becomes champ you'll be like "he won't have many defenses anyway".
He's ranked 15

i think he is criminally small for lhw. He needs to go to mw and tune that cardio. Problem is that the weight cut will take a toll , i dont think he had to do that in k1.

It was excellent to see a Saki's level of striking for 3 minutes before he gassed. Moving forward it'll interesting to see how long it will take for high-level striking to be better integrated into MMA. I think we're getting closer... another 5-10 years? I think the size discrepancy played a lot in the clinch work and it is incredibly draining to be in there with a stronger, taller person. He probably hasn't trained much clinchwork considering he was fighting to the glory ruleset.

put him in with the best strikers of the division, no desire seeing him fight a bjj black belt or wrassler

Gokhan is a fukn stud. If ya want to watch bjj go ahead. In mma every fight starts on the feet. Most people will try to get gokhan off his, cuz they know the stud he is. Dudes a warrior, that's it. I am not saying he will be the champ. He will win like he did, just as he can loose that way as well. He goes for the finish. He will also expand the fanbase to a country not well represented which I always appreciate.

Back