Just threw out a pillow I've had for 20+ yrs and I have mixed emotions

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I've had this one pillow I slept on for probably two thirds of my life, and this morning I woke up and it was in worse shape than usual. It was flat as a board, it could fold in half, and it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep on. I noticed it was worse today because some of the stitching holding the internal part of it fell apart. It was a normal cotton pillow, nothing special or down or memory or any of that, it was when times were much simpler in my life.

However, it's been just about the one thing I've brought with me throughout my travels over the years. It came with me to college, grad school, and law school. It's gone across the country time and time again. It's even crossed the Atlantic Ocean with me.

It feels strange to have a sort of an attachment to an object, and to actually feel something when discarding it. I have an urge right now to go rescue it from the trash can and throw it in the washing machine just to hold on to it, but I'm resisting.

Have any of you ever had an attachment to your pillows that you sleep on? And no I'm not talking about gross pillows or body pillows either. I mean regular nightly sleeping pillows.

You should rip out the feathers/stuffing and have that made into a teddy bear that you can sleep with forever.

Then you can pass it down to the next generation too, and so on into eternity.

I was attached to a blanket. When i was 6.

images

Had to throw it out. It got too...sticky.

That moment when you click on a thread title you thought was made by @Clippy, and it turns out it was made by a mod.

giphy.gif

The pillow itself having been with you for so long probably sees you as it's only family. Now you've discarded it and broken it's heart, so it will never find eternal rest in cotton heaven.

I've had this one pillow I slept on for probably two thirds of my life, and this morning I woke up and it was in worse shape than usual. It was flat as a board, it could fold in half, and it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep on. I noticed it was worse today because some of the stitching holding the internal part of it fell apart. It was a normal cotton pillow, nothing special or down or memory or any of that, it was when times were much simpler in my life.

However, it's been just about the one thing I've brought with me throughout my travels over the years. It came with me to college, grad school, and law school. It's gone across the country time and time again. It's even crossed the Atlantic Ocean with me.

It feels strange to have a sort of an attachment to an object, and to actually feel something when discarding it. I have an urge right now to go rescue it from the trash can and throw it in the washing machine just to hold on to it, but I'm resisting.

Have any of you ever had an attachment to your pillows that you sleep on? And no I'm not talking about gross pillows or body pillows either. I mean regular nightly sleeping pillows.

Do you hug that pillow when you sleep or you just use it to sleep on? I have strong attachments to the pillows I hug those Pilows are only for huging and I never rest my head on it or let any one touch it.

But I never was able to keep a Pilow for that long.

When I was a kid I had a Pilow for like 8 years but my mom insist that I grow up ditch my childish clingy ways so I let it go. But even then I still have hangups about replacing my modern pillows I dont change pillows as much as posible.

Its like a part of me looking back I think I should have kept the pilow I like as a kid.

I threw mine recently too because it looked like a giant turd it was so brown, but the two I replaced it with are incredible I've already forgotten about my "favourite" pillow. I liked how long it stayed cold for, but I'm pretty sure it was already brownish when I inherited it ... once you throw a pillowcase or 2 on it, who cares when it's that comfy right.

20 years? that pillow was probably 99% mites

A pillow that old could have gotten up and walked out the door without help from you. jesus.

I am sure 900000 mites are crying with you right now.

But keep your souvenir photo of old reliable
61aHVSwG2lL._SY355_.jpg

I still know in the back of my head that inanimate objects have feelings.

Over the long lonely years, do you have any idea how much blood, semen and bacteria lay in the dark crevices of that pillow? Exactly. Good riddance!

Back