Just threw out a pillow I've had for 20+ yrs and I have mixed emotions

I've had this one pillow I slept on for probably two thirds of my life, and this morning I woke up and it was in worse shape than usual. It was flat as a board, it could fold in half, and it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep on. I noticed it was worse today because some of the stitching holding the internal part of it fell apart. It was a normal cotton pillow, nothing special or down or memory or any of that, it was when times were much simpler in my life.

However, it's been just about the one thing I've brought with me throughout my travels over the years. It came with me to college, grad school, and law school. It's gone across the country time and time again. It's even crossed the Atlantic Ocean with me.

It feels strange to have a sort of an attachment to an object, and to actually feel something when discarding it. I have an urge right now to go rescue it from the trash can and throw it in the washing machine just to hold on to it, but I'm resisting.

Have any of you ever had an attachment to your pillows that you sleep on? And no I'm not talking about gross pillows or body pillows either. I mean regular nightly sleeping pillows.

Dude. Go get that thing back!
It's a memory. It posses all what you said in it. If you have the room in the back of your closet to put it then what's the harm? Just don't become a horder. But if it's been with you on your journey for so long then why not keep it with you?

There's still a pair of sneaks I feel bummed about throwing out every once in awhile. I wish I still had em.

It's good to get rid of clutter but certain things hold more meaning to them.

I believe that this might be the most ultimate “first world problems” thread that I have ever seen

Think of it this way- it was full of 20 years of dust mites

images

Had to throw it out. It got too...sticky.
<Huh2><{ByeHomer}>

<{jackyeah}><{ohyeah}>

I've had this one pillow I slept on for probably two thirds of my life, and this morning I woke up and it was in worse shape than usual. It was flat as a board, it could fold in half, and it was somewhat uncomfortable to sleep on. I noticed it was worse today because some of the stitching holding the internal part of it fell apart. It was a normal cotton pillow, nothing special or down or memory or any of that, it was when times were much simpler in my life.

However, it's been just about the one thing I've brought with me throughout my travels over the years. It came with me to college, grad school, and law school. It's gone across the country time and time again. It's even crossed the Atlantic Ocean with me.

It feels strange to have a sort of an attachment to an object, and to actually feel something when discarding it. I have an urge right now to go rescue it from the trash can and throw it in the washing machine just to hold on to it, but I'm resisting.

Have any of you ever had an attachment to your pillows that you sleep on? And no I'm not talking about gross pillows or body pillows either. I mean regular nightly sleeping pillows.

Any particular significant events or memories attached to the pillow? Was it there when you lost your virginity?

I still know in the back of my head that inanimate objects have feelings.

Of course they do.

61B5K6BGFNL._SY445_.jpg

its hard to find a comfy pillow
i threw out mine that had to be at least 20 years old.
rip pillow.

You should rip out the feathers/stuffing and have that made into a teddy bear that you can sleep with forever.

Then you can pass it down to the next generation too, and so on into eternity.
"son, this is essentially your great grandfathers cum rag, I want you to have it"

That pillow sounds filthy and disgusting. Loaded with germs and bacteria from you sweating and drooling into it for 20 years.

Should've thrown that shit out 17 years ago. Gross.

I am astonished this is a @jeicex thread

:eek:
Yea... I've thought about this some more and I'm not sure that I'm convinced that a person who keeps a pillow for 20 years, let alone gets sentimental about throwing that fetid piece of stank out - should be "moderating" people, even on a shitposting karate forum.

<6>

@Revolver

Yea... I've thought about this some more and I'm not sure that I'm convinced that a person who keeps a pillow for 20 years, let alone gets sentimental about throwing that fetid piece of stank out - should be "moderating" people, even on a shitposting karate forum.

<6>

@Revolver

The time is ripe for a @Clippy modship.

Me and @jeicex are equals now in every way.

My initial reaction was that you are one weird puppy, and you should probably lower the dosage of whatever you are taking.

But then I realized that there is probably not one single item, animate or inanimate, in a persons life that they spend more time with than their pillow. 6-9 hours (or whatever) of uninterrupted quality time, every single night.

After giving that some thought, I then returned to my original assessment that you are one weird puppy, and should probably lower the dosage of whatever you are taking. I further surmise that your first few years of sexual experiences were with this pillow. My advice is that as hard as it is to say goodbye to your first love.......it's time.

I can't back you up on the pillow thing specifically, @jeicex, but I can at least show some mod solidarity when it comes to the type of bizarre sentimentality of which your attachment to your pillow is a unique manifestation. For me, I have a bizarre attachment to my all-time favorite t-shirt. It was my own personal Golden Boy. It was even almost the same color yellow as Jerry's shirt, just a bit brighter yellow. It was a Bruce Lee shirt that my dad got me at the inaugural Bruce Lee Foundation event in California like 15 years ago. I wore that shirt more than any other article of clothing that I've ever owned.

In high school, something that started out as a funny observation took on a life of its own. I happened to wear my Golden Boy on multiple Fridays - which, as part of my high school routine with my group of friends, was the day when everyone would meet at my locker after school and then we'd walk back to my house to hang out - and the friend of mine who would always be first at my locker commented that me wearing that bright yellow shirt allowed him to instantly pick me out of the crowd of kids stampeding through the hallways. So, to accommodate him, I made it official that I'd wear that shirt every Friday.

Added to which, I accidentally wore it for two consecutive high school yearbook picture days my freshman and sophomore years. It was picture day my sophomore year, we were in line waiting for our turn to get our pictures taken, and a friend of mine happened to remark, "Weren't you wearing that shirt in last year's yearbook?" I didn't have it planned to do that my sophomore year, but I absolutely had it planned my junior year. If it weren't for the fact that senior pictures had to be in formal wear, I would've gone for all four years wearing the same exact shirt.

Eventually, I grew out of it, but then I just cut the sleeves off and turned it into a workout shirt. I wore it so often over so many years that it virtually disintegrated. It got so torn up and frayed that it looked like I got mauled by a wild animal in that shirt. It's literally unwearable today. But throwing it out never even crossed my mind. It's not even an option. It's in my closet at this very moment.

Wherever I go, Golden Boy is coming with me.

I had a blankey I threw away when I was like 16. Regretted it for a few months and then never thought about it again..

Wow, you're ruthless. This pillow was with you through thick and thin and you just toss it out like moldy tangerines.

The look of betrayal that pillow must have had when you threw it away.

Now, it's sitting on a garbage heap... waiting for you to save him...

sad_pillow_is_sad_by_sayabloodstone-d2vh590.jpg

Back