Just rewatched Maldonado v Fedor.

Avraham

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
C'mon guys. Anyone who think Maldonado should have won also needs to rewatch it. Despite the first round where Fedor got his head absolutely smashed in; to recover from that and dominate the rest of the fight completely shows a clear cut winner.

This again?

200w.gif

No it doesn't. Fedor clearly won rounds 2,3 BUT he lost the first round 10 to 8. Should have been a draw.

Rewatching worked in favor of Fedor for me as well. I'd be OK with a draw point-wise, but winning 12 1/2 out of 15 min. of a fight justifies the W for me.

This is totally true, fedor got rocked bad and got hurt in the first so thats why everyone thinks he lost but he won the other rounds in my opinion. Fedor did win the fight but if it was a draw thats also passable.

I'm kinda with u, although a draw is also very acceptable. I try to just not watch that fight for fedors legacy

Fight should've never happened considering Fedor heads the commission who appointed the judges and ref. Definitely should've been stopped in the first. And definitely shouldn't have been judged anything but a draw.

But yeah other than that giant pile of shit you have to climb over, it's still a draw. To Fabio Maldonado....

Granted I've only watched a handful of their events and I wasn't looking out for it, but I don't think I've ever seen "Fight Nights" score a 10-8 round....

Watching it live and being caught up in what was happening made it seem much worse than it was. Bad first round for Fedor but he deserved the win. Maldonado did nothing in that fight besides rocking Fedor and the follow up. It was still a bad performance by Fedor, but he won.

Under PRIDE rules Fedor would have lost that fight if it ever made it to the score cards

He was basically finished and in fact in Japan Yuji Shimada would have stopped that fight in the 1st round

Under Unified Rules Fedor lost the first 10-8 and the best possible outcome would have been a draw for Fedor. A loss would have been acceptable as you can make a case for 10-7 in the first

Last edited:
C'mon guys. Anyone who think Maldonado should have won also needs to rewatch it. Despite the first round where Fedor got his head absolutely smashed in; to recover from that and dominate the rest of the fight completely shows a clear cut winner.

Fedor won that fight, no problem.

The first round wasn't even close to a 10-8 either, because Fedor had dominated a majority of the round, then came back at the end of the round and hurt Maldonado, causing him to run away. You can't make that a 10-8, that's a clear 10-9 for Maldonado and Fedor clearly won the other two rounds.

People just want to hate on Fedor.

fedor won but maldonado is fighting on 1 October and fedor seems that are going to rest some more months.......

No it doesn't. Fedor clearly won rounds 2,3 BUT he lost the first round 10 to 8. Should have been a draw.

I'm not gong to lie. I rewatched recently as well. And I use to argue round 1 should have been a 10-8. But without all the stomach turning adrenalin watching live in the moment...the round didn't look as bad as it first did. I honestly can agree more with it only being scored a 10-9. Fedor was winning the opening of he round. And his beating didn't look as bad as I remembered.

But whatever, it's done.

For me its either a Fedor win or Draw and Draws suck so who cares, if you have to give it to someone its Fedor.

Under PRIDE rules Fedor would have lost that fight if it ever made it to the score cards

He was basically finished and in fact in Japan Yuji Shimada would have stopped that fight in the 1st round

Under Unified Rules Fedor lost the first 10-8 and the best possible outcome would have been a draw for Fedor. A loss would have been acceptable as you can make a case for 10-7 in the first

Pride is dead.

People who are saying the fight should have been stopped in the first have clearly never watched or forgotten Cain vs JDS II and III, turtling up and hiding is grounds to stop a fight, getting tagged while trying to improve your position is not.

Everyone claiming it should have been a 10-8, really needs to get educated on how judges give scores. 10-8s are for one sided rounds only and Fedor was doing damage to Maldonado for a large percentage of that round.

Back