Jui-Jitsu in Maryland

im not exactly a beginer im a decent grappler but im looing to mix in striking i hear lloyd irvin is over priced, ground control is a bit out the way, ill check out yamasaki if the have a web site

Maguilla is in Silver Spring and the only 4th Degree black belt you will find in the area.

He may be the only 4th degree in the area; however Pedro Sauer is a 7th degree BB in the area

For clarity, Professor Marques personally instructs the lion's share of his advanced classes, hence the relevance to his level. With that said, I've read many positive comments about the Pedro Sauer affiliates.

For clarity, Professor Marques personally instructs the lion's share of his advanced classes, hence the relevance to his level. With that said, I've read many positive comments about the Pedro Sauer affiliates.

Pedro Sauer is a great teacher. I train at an affiliate (Baltimore Martial arts) and have been to 2 of his seminars.

Maguilla is in Silver Spring and the only 4th Degree black belt you will find in the area.

Big fan of Maguilla. He teaches most classes and will roll often with his students. Also many upper belts to train with. :icon_chee

if I had my choice, I will pick Maguilla. Have a lot of respect for that man and have been a big fan of that guy. Nice guy in person.

Fernando Yamasaki is a 4th degree black belt.

Have some friends that used to train there. Heard Yamasaki's BJJ skills are somewhat open for debate as he doesn't actually roll. :redface:

Have some friends that used to train there. Heard Yamasaki's BJJ skills are somewhat open for debate as he doesn't actually roll. :redface:

Jusecause he doesn't roll with his students doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. He is a Pan Am champ if I'm correct. I have lots of respect for Maguilla but you seem to be his biggest fan.

Oh, and FYI, maguilla just moved out of Fitness First about 4 months ago and now has his own place.

Jusecause he doesn't roll with his students doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. He is a Pan Am champ if I'm correct. I have lots of respect for Maguilla but you seem to be his biggest fan.

Isn't his brother Fernando actually better than Mario?

I train at Evolve in Gaithersburg and the instruction is second to none. I'm a fighter and train with many great fighters there. Lloyd Irvin is another GREAT place to go train. It might be over priced like your saying, but go check it out and you'll see exactly why....Lloyd is an incredible teacher and fighter. Great guy too...And as for the guy from Ground Control who won his debut in ShoXC...So did Wilson Reis who represents team Lloyd Irvin/Evolve...

With Respect,
-Ray

Yeah both him and Binky have been on a roll..lets see them fight!

Has nothing to do with Maguilla. That was from a good friend who got his purple at Yamaskis. He had many good things to say about his time at Yamasaki's club especially with Neto. Not so flattering with Mario regarding his bjj - very good at Judo evidently. Which Pan Ams did Mario compete in? Didn't find any evidence during a google search.. :icon_conf

Has nothing to do with Maguilla. That was from a good friend who got his purple at Yamaskis. He had many good things to say about his time at Yamasaki's club especially with Neto. Not so flattering with Mario regarding his bjj - very good at Judo evidently. Which Pan Ams did Mario compete in? Didn't find any evidence during a google search.. :icon_conf

I was talking about Fernando Yamasaki, not Mario. I somewhat believe what you're saying about Mario though. Fernando was the one I was alluding to earlier, not Mario.

I was talking about Fernando Yamasaki, not Mario. I somewhat believe what you're saying about Mario though. Fernando was the one I was alluding to earlier, not Mario.

Oh, my mistake. Was curious though if anyone else was gonna reply either defending or trashing Mario. Some of the stories I've heard seem too extreme to be true but who knows. Decent UFC ref though. :icon_chee

I've trained with Mario and Fernando Yamasaki for 10 years and WITHOUT QUESTION they are both legit instructors and BJJ players. When I was coming up, Mario rolled with us daily. He doesn't have as much time to train/teach as he did back in then, but he still can be seen teaching and training on the mats occasionally. Mario has the most crushing pressure game I have ever seen or experienced. Awesome, awesome stuff I've learned from him that I still use and teach today.

Fernando is coming off major knee surgery, but MOST DEFINITELY rolls and trains with students all the time. In fact, the doctors couldn't keep him off the mat! The guy is a true master at Jiu Jitsu and has a depth of knowledge that is seriously impressive. Fernando was on the Brazilian Greco-Roman Olympic team, is a badass Judoka (4th degree BB), is a 4th degree BB in BJJ, helped the Gracies spread BJJ in Europe, etc. If you ever get a chance to train with him you definitely should!

We have 8 locations with at least 11 black belts just in the DC Metro area. www.grappling.com

I really hate when students of other schools spread rumors or otherwise disparage my instructors. It doesn't say much for your character when you do that. Personally, I do my best to stay out of the crap-talking between schools and try to refrain from ever saying anything negative about BJJ black belts in the area. It just breeds negativity and encourages bad attitudes in students. That is the last thing anyone needs. There are lots of schools in the area now which is awesome. Try out as many as you can, they all have something to offer. Then decide what works best for you in terms of location, schedule, atmosphere, instruction, students, facility, and whatever other criteria you set.

Train on,

Sam Kim
Team Yamasaki
Fairfax Jiu Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Mixed Martial Arts - MMA - Grappling in Northern Virginia - Fairfax County - Herndon

Back