Judo question

Breakfalling is one of like three actually useful things in martial arts. It almost makes up for learning how to stretch wrong and exercise wrong.

There is no question you do have your outliers who are douchebags and assholes, but as a whole I find Judoka to be very friendly much more so than other club sports.

yeah it's funny, some older judo coaches talk down on bjj. just 2 weeks ago i heard one coach who's about 60 years old call it 'stupid bullshit' or something similar. younger coaches are more ok with it and probably realise there's a lot of cool stuff to pick up. i guess they're jealous of how popular it's becoming and maybe losing students. myself and a lot of my friends cross train both judo and bjj to be better 'all round' grapplers and the bjj coaches always seem pretty supportive of that.

anyway, beginner classes probably wont include much randori (free sparring), and be more technical....pick a few basic throws and start breaking them down and working on them. have fun!

i know every generation can't wait for the angry has-beens to abdicate but i honestly believe we'll actually make great strides once they do.

i wish freestyle judo or sambo+chokes would get more popular. it seems like sport BJJ's devolving into butt scoots and footsie, and fuckin Judo changes the rules more often than a chess hustler.

yeah it's funny, some older judo coaches talk down on bjj. just 2 weeks ago i heard one coach who's about 60 years old call it 'stupid bullshit' or something similar. younger coaches are more ok with it and probably realise there's a lot of cool

Yeah your right the coach was like 65 or 60 was talking down on bjj I was like ffs can we not just respect different arts

stuff to pick up. i guess they're jealous of how popular it's becoming and maybe losing students. myself and a lot of my friends cross train both judo and bjj to be better 'all round' grapplers and the bjj coaches always seem pretty supportive of that.

anyway, beginner classes probably wont include much randori (free sparring), and be more technical....pick a few basic throws and start breaking them down and working on them. have fun!

I'll hop on the judo question bandwagon for a bit, I'm looking for a bit of brosciencing here: what's the deal with judo guys being so heavy/thick? I started some judo recently to sharpen my abysmal BJJ stand up and all the guys are noticeably heavier/thicker than in the BJJ classes. There's a bit of dadbod going on since the average age is a bit higher, but it doesn't seem to be enough to make up the difference. Half the time I feel like I'm grappling with tree trunks, it's fascinating.

I suspect the constant high impact falls thicken the connective tissues over time. Or it could simply be that judo is more attractive for heavier guys for some reason. Anyone else noticed this, or wants to offer some insight?

people that stick around were usually pretty competitive. as you age you train less, but if you've been used to gorging yourself you don't necessarily change your eating habits. You see this quite a bit in older/retired athletes across the board.

74% men are overweight and 35.7% of americans are obese.

there's been a lot of speculation as to why: too much sugar, grain-based diets, portion sizes, sedentary lifestyle, increased estrogen in the water (this one is fun if you think about water tables and the southern prevalence of obesity), fried food, social acceptance, the lower cost and greater availability of processed foods and beverages.

basically the 'murican culture of comfort and excess and a consumption-based model. I can't ride my bike because it's hard work. I don't want to go outside because it's cold. I don't want to eat anything that isn't sweet or cheese-covered, I have to sit in my car so i can go sit in my box and stare at a screen so i can make money to pay for a car and a box and a screen to stare at, everybody else does it so it's okay right? everybody else is fat and miserable so i guess i should be fat and miserable too right?

every time my girlfriend and I paddle down the nitrate runoffs in through my lovely agrarian state we inevitably run into a group of fat trashy dipshits blasting twang pop and sucking down commercial beer. 9 out of 10 times at least one of those dipshits sees me on my paddleboard and hollers "boy, that sure looks like a lot of work."

or I'll tell my boomer relatives about my vacations (usually climbing or snowboarding) and they'll say one of two things: Oh, that's dangerous! or Don't you ever want to relax on vacation?

Like, no. Your entire damn generation seems to think the end goal of life is to sit around in your granite-encrusted mausoleums bitching about all the fun young people are having while you wait around to die of a coronary or cancer or the beetus. Maybe I'm just jaded because most of my relatives are 10-20 years older than my peers, but I've seen so, so many people just wither away.

I love my Dad but the only things he seems to enjoy any more are screens and food. He can't fathom why I do all of this ninja shit.

I guess that's our privilege as athletes: most people spectate, we participate.

people that stick around were usually pretty competitive. as you age you train less, but if you've been used to gorging yourself you don't necessarily change your eating habits. You see this quite a bit in older/retired athletes across the board.

74% men are overweight and 35.7% of americans are obese.

there's been a lot of speculation as to why: too much sugar, grain-based diets, portion sizes, sedentary lifestyle, increased estrogen in the water (this one is fun if you think about water tables and the southern prevalence of obesity), fried food, social acceptance, the lower cost and greater availability of processed foods and beverages.

basically the 'murican culture of comfort and excess and a consumption-based model. I can't ride my bike because it's hard work. I don't want to go outside because it's cold. I don't want to eat anything that isn't sweet or cheese-covered, I have to sit in my car so i can go sit in my box and stare at a screen so i can make money to pay for a car and a box and a screen to stare at, everybody else does it so it's okay right? everybody else is fat and miserable so i guess i should be fat and miserable too right?

every time my girlfriend and I paddle down the nitrate runoffs in through my lovely agrarian state we inevitably run into a group of fat trashy dipshits blasting twang pop and sucking down commercial beer. 9 out of 10 times at least one of those dipshits sees me on my paddleboard and hollers "boy, that sure looks like a lot of work."

or I'll tell my boomer relatives about my vacations (usually climbing or snowboarding) and they'll say one of two things: Oh, that's dangerous! or Don't you ever want to relax on vacation?

Like, no. Your entire damn generation seems to think the end goal of life is to sit around in your granite-encrusted mausoleums bitching about all the fun young people are having while you wait around to die of a coronary or cancer or the beetus. Maybe I'm just jaded because most of my relatives are 10-20 years older than my peers, but I've seen so, so many people just wither away.

I love my Dad but the only things he seems to enjoy any more are screens and food. He can't fathom why I do all of this ninja shit.

I guess that's our privilege as athletes: most people spectate, we participate.
Fucking epic RJ, fucking epic!

U got a future in that blogging shit if you ever give up that Ninja shit!

LOL!

Nicely written!

i know every generation can't wait for the angry has-beens to abdicate but i honestly believe we'll actually make great strides once they do.

What we need is more young people being able to open gyms and make some money off of it, but unfortunately that is not the case. Kinda funny, because it's old has-beens keeping the young down economically as well. Not just in the overall economy, but even in Judo, where old clubs are run in a non-profit manner.

Anyway people can go to BJJ or elsewhere in addition to Judo. It's all the same to me. Yes it is. It's like playing poker... you can play 5 card draw or you can play Hold 'em. Different rules but really the same idea of calculating odds. In that sense, nowadays it might even be better to teach Judo out of a BJJ gym...

I'll hop on the judo question bandwagon for a bit, I'm looking for a bit of brosciencing here: what's the deal with judo guys being so heavy/thick?
Judo develops strong oblique muscles.

@ least your hips r OK.....

Not like mine....

Should have got those Labral tears repaired years ago...

My knees and back r fine....

LOL!

Been out of Judo for more than 3 years now. You still do it?

i wish freestyle judo or sambo+chokes would get more popular. it seems like sport BJJ's devolving into butt scoots and footsie, and fuckin Judo changes the rules more often than a chess hustler.

Can't stand this shit.

Been out of Judo for more than 3 years now. You still do it?
Not since July of last year. I gotta have surgery as soon as my insurance gets their shit together...

Not sure if I'll ever train hard again. It depends on how much cartilage I have left in my socket and on the femoral head. If they can trim up all the shredded stuff that might make it smooth enough that I can take impact without further damage again I going back. If not probably chase that lower impact BJJ IQ I've been messing around with for years.

Kinda in stunned limbo right now...

Every injury I've had I ether healed myself or got surgery and was back in 6 months no question...

This is a whole new ballgame!

LOL!

Not since July of last year. I gotta have surgery as soon as my insurance gets their shit together...

Not sure if I'll ever train hard again. It depends on how much cartilage I have left in my socket and on the femoral head. If they can trim up all the shredded stuff that might make it smooth enough that I can take impact without further damage again I going back. If not probably chase that lower impact BJJ IQ I've been messing around with for years.

Kinda in stunned limbo right now...

Every injury I've had I ether healed myself or got surgery and was back in 6 months no question...

This is a whole new ballgame!

LOL!

Limbo is real. Judo is very injury prone and annoying (restrictions), but it's street applicable and much cheaper. BJJ would be easier on the body, but it's too expensive and create bad habits (sport BJJ).

MMA is probably out of reach because 10 years of Judo injuries. Plus it's expensive as fuck.

Boxing for some reason jacked up the price these days and legit ones are not around where I am.

Hmm...

Boxing for some reason jacked up the price these days and legit ones are not around where I am.

Hmm...
If you can capitalize, why not? Moo thigh came to the west decades ago, but when UFC got big and promoted MT somewhat, they started charging the typical $200/month rate opposed to rec centre rates prior

If you can capitalize, why not? Moo thigh came to the west decades ago, but when UFC got big and promoted MT somewhat, they started charging the typical $200/month rate opposed to rec centre rates prior

Of course man. Doesn't change the fact that it sucks however.

i took 5 years off from Judo til about a month ago save for the occasional photo shoot or seminar. last semester they moved us out of our old sprung-floor gym to renovate the building and we're on a dollamur mat over wood over concrete. shit's rough. sometimes i slap so hard my arm goes numb.

going from no hours per week to 15+ was/is a bit rough at first, but whatever, i'm not getting any younger. i'm just making sure to eat clean and sleep when i can.

not sure where the road's going, but i'm gonna drive this bitch until the wheels fall off.

It sucks to hear about these egotistical coaches. No martial art is immune, regardless of whether they're competitive and full contact.

My judo coach is pretty old school. He appreciates BJJ but told me he doesn't find it that interesting to watch. This is coming from the most explosive athlete I've ever met.

I'll hop on the judo question bandwagon for a bit, I'm looking for a bit of brosciencing here: what's the deal with judo guys being so heavy/thick? I started some judo recently to sharpen my abysmal BJJ stand up and all the guys are noticeably heavier/thicker than in the BJJ classes. There's a bit of dadbod going on since the average age is a bit higher, but it doesn't seem to be enough to make up the difference. Half the time I feel like I'm grappling with tree trunks, it's fascinating.

I suspect the constant high impact falls thicken the connective tissues over time. Or it could simply be that judo is more attractive for heavier guys for some reason. Anyone else noticed this, or wants to offer some insight?

all the competitive judo guys i know do weights in addition to judo. lots of powerlifting and olympic lifting exercises. the younger guys watch their diet and are pretty ripped, but once they stop competing so much they tend to fill out and put on weight. some older guys keep doing weights though. i do weights just to keep up with the strength of the younger guys even though i'm not a competitor lol (i'm 40). plus the very action of pulling someone around by the gi during training develops very strong grips, arms, shoulders and traps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back