Judo question

bjjguy2016

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What should I excpect in my first judo class besides breakfalling.

I have done around 2 years in bjj and know how to breakfall, I'm not saying I;m a master because I'm not but I can fall. Also apart from more tachi waza in judo is there much different other than that and less rolling?
Also I have had a judo class before but was put off as I told them I had trained bjj and they basically started to talk shit about bjj then I remember they put me up against a black belt for rolling who ws obviously better on the ground than me and he trashed me. then the instructor used me as a dummy for showing the class a americana and he held it for around 2 minutes he was showing them and my arm was really hurting by end of class, maybe i should have kept the bjj stuff to myself : / I didn't think it would make a difference babyish if you ask me....

There are more than just one break fall lol, there are around 4 in total. But yes, in Judo you are not allowed to directly attack the shoulder, and no submissions to the hip, and lower.

But since you're brand new to Judo, the coach will probably go over some simple techniques, like an o-goshi, or an osoto gari with you. Some of the easier techniques to get you into Judo.

Also, that coach sounds like he has a big ego and is obviously biased towards Judo. If you find another coach like him, find another Judo school.

Yea, I always say I'm new so they don't make an example out of me. Even though I've taken some Judo and some bjj but I suck so bad at it that I'm not much different from a complete noob. It's better to say you're a beginner and have them think you're a natural than say you're experience and have them wonder why you still suck.

I remember in my gym, there's this new guy who said he came from MMA but he couldn't even throw a jab.

Unless your BJJ coach has a solid Judo background, you might not know your break falls as good as you think.

Good ukemi is a basic pre-condition of possibility.

Don't get cocky pay attention to the break fall portion. You have no idea how important it can be. They'll go over beginnner pins and throws.

The problem with my breakfall is that I do Not let go of my grips to breakfall.

When I drill. It is OK but during randori I still go in Bjj mode and try to recompose some form of guard after getting thrown

It is bad habits and dangerous as well.

Your second class :)

Expect more breakfalling. This is single most important skill that you learn from judo.

IMO you know how to breakfall when your black belt instructor picks you for throw demonstration and you feel happy about that. Takes lots of falls and good partners to get really comfortable. Until then you'll fight tensed up and your attacks will be slow and predictable.

I have done around 2 years in bjj and know how to breakfall, I'm not saying I;m a master because I'm not but I can fall. Also apart from more tachi waza in judo is there much different other than that and less rolling?
Also I have had a judo class before but was put off as I told them I had trained bjj and they basically started to talk shit about bjj then I remember they put me up against a black belt for rolling who ws obviously better on the ground than me and he trashed me. then the instructor used me as a dummy for showing the class a americana and he held it for around 2 minutes he was showing them and my arm was really hurting by end of class, maybe i should have kept the bjj stuff to myself : / I didn't think it would make a difference babyish if you ask me....
Post up the name of the school...

Sounds a little suspicious if the instructors are trashing U as a new student even if you have BJJ experience.

A good school would be psyched to have u not getting in to pissing contests to put you in your place.

In my experience, MOST Judo classes will start off with a lot of breakfalling and 'movement' drills during the warm-up. So, standard rolling breakfall, side breakfalls, back, front, etc. coupled with some shrimping, cartwheels, bear walks and such like. Everyone does these, because they're very important for skills development, general strengthening and injury mitigation. Expect to go through this every class.

From there, most Judo clubs I've trained at usually show a technique or two, commence drilling, then move into randori. Often it goes newaza technique, drilling, newaza randori, tachiwaza technique, drilling, tachiwaza randori, but the order of training and time devoted to newaza/tachiwaza varies from school to school. Newaza training tends to focus a lot more on pinning and pin escapes than on subs, but subs are not entirely absent. It's difficult to explain unless you've done both, but Judo and BJJ rolling are fairly different and promote different skillsets. Experience in one does help a lot in the other, though.

If you run into some moon unit who wants to shit talk BJJ and show off by bullying white belts, step off and find somewhere else to train.

there are a lot of has-been never-were pissing-contest types in Judo. they're basically allergic to groundwork, or anything but turn throws. try not to roll your eyes out of your head when they tell you not to guillotine choke or get super pedantic and japanese-y when talking groundwork. you know how people will call everything a 'hip toss' or 'judo move' in BJJ? you'll get a lot of 'arm lock' or 'oh you're supposed to do _______ *this* way', which they've been doing the same wrong way since 1985.

it's getting better, but there still are enough "purists" around more worried about the olympics than the progression of the art.

if you're there to learn 'takedowns' and you just try to RAWR through practices or pull guard on everyone you're doing yourself a disservice.

if you're there to learn Judo it's a deep fuckin' rabbit hole. you will never stop falling, literally and figuratively.

Did you tap, and did he not let go? No need to be macho for a demo and have your arm hurt afterwards.

if you're there to learn Judo it's a deep fuckin' rabbit hole. you will never stop falling, literally and figuratively.

This is sig worthy. May I?

If it's any example as to how wrong the "purists" are:
My former Judo club in Buffalo just hosted Kayla Harrison and Travis Stevens for a multi-day Judo and BJJ clinic....Judo Olympians doing BJJ at a Judo club, let that sink in.....no I was unable to attend, it's a sore subject..Don't Fucking ask...

hell yeah bruh go ahead.

i think it's absolutely ridiculous how the old guard refuses to admit BJJ grappling has evolved past them, and even more ridiculous that they refuse to adapt for fear of cross-contamination.

there's an entire generation of new Judoka who haven't learned Judo, all thanks to the fragile egos of a handful of white-haired plutocrats.

We had a kids club coach who used to say "newaza is the penalty for a poor uchimata" he didn't last long with us

The only other Judo school in my area (we do both Judo & BJJ) has been known to threaten kick guys out for fist bumping. He did kick a person out for starting to do MMA. Another guy got booted for skipping the tournament they run because he went on vacation "not committed to judo".

toxic attitudes about the grappling disciplines of others have no place in this enlightened age. as is the case with much of politics, those who seem to be lacking in prowess or comprehension are also the first to insist their narrow view is the only view.

it sucks it all gets lumped together as 'Judo' and the ubiquity of stories about 'Judo guys', but it also seems that most of them are hemorrhaging students and not long for this world due to myriad metabolic conditions.

i slap/bump before all rolls where we start face-to-face. i use terms like americana and kimura. i will continue to bitch up a storm until leg grabs and standing passes are back in competitive judo.

Say goodbye to your knees, lower back, and finger joints.

Coming from a 10 year vet.

toxic attitudes about the grappling disciplines of others have no place in this enlightened age. as is the case with much of politics, those who seem to be lacking in prowess or comprehension are also the first to insist their narrow view is the only view.

it sucks it all gets lumped together as 'Judo' and the ubiquity of stories about 'Judo guys', but it also seems that most of them are hemorrhaging students and not long for this world due to myriad metabolic conditions.

i slap/bump before all rolls where we start face-to-face. i use terms like americana and kimura. i will continue to bitch up a storm until leg grabs and standing passes are back in competitive judo.

Agree. The odd thing is Kano was not one to live in a silo. He was open to change and adaptation.

Say goodbye to your knees, lower back, and finger joints.

Coming from a 10 year vet.
@ least your hips r OK.....

Not like mine....

Should have got those Labral tears repaired years ago...

My knees and back r fine....

LOL!

Back