Judo blackbelts ground proficiency?

hope this helps study the arts use what works MMA Bruce lee same concept

Question for those who have experience in both Judo and BJJ. What exactly is the proficiency level of a judo black belt when it comes to ground fighting? Would a Judo black belt hold his own against a BJJ blue belt on the ground? Or would he be equal to a BJJ purple with limited arsenal but greater proficiency?
you stold my post

Thanks a lot guys. The reason why I ask is because I am blue in BJJ and was thinking of switching to Judo to see if that would suit my mindset better than BJJ. Dont get me wrong. I love BJJ but since most sparring begins on the knees, I do not have the confidence to apply it as a martial art even though I have been doing it for a few years now.

Judo appeals to me simply because it is more instinctive and direct to apply in a fight. In an ideal world I would learn both because they compliment each other very well but I wont have the time or the money to do both right now.

I presently have the option of switching to a Judo school where the instructor is also a BJJ purple belt and they do BJJ once a week. This would mean that I will be doing judo throws twice a week while doing BJJ once a week. I am unsure where I would be with my BJJ game with two years of training in this school. I think my progress in BJJ would come to a grinding halt (at blue belt level) while I will be half way to what a judo black belt is? I wonder if it would be a good trade off in the long scheme of things. If I dont like judo then I would could return to BJJ at the same level as I left with better take downs. If I like judo then I may progress to black belt level with slightly better ground game than most judo black belts.

So yes. A part of me says look you have invested a few years into BJJ so just be patient and keep doing it. Train stand up game a bit more and give yourself a few more years and you will have the take downs even though they will come at a snails pace.

Second part of me says develop stand up grappling. You may find that it is your true calling. If it is not then only a few years will be lost in this experiment. You will go back to your bjj with the same belt level but at least you will have some take down stand up skill.

Either ways you are taking a chance here.

Which part of me should I listen to? Thanks.

I would say that you should try the judo classes first, before making a total switch. Most clubs will let you try a lesson or two before getting you to have to register and pay. Judo has a steep learning curve though, so you'll have to put in the time to get what you want. Also, expect to do a lot of ukemi at the start.

With that being said, all of the cool kids do judo.

"Steep learning curve" = you will hate yourself and question why you suck so badly, why am I doing this to myself and holy shit why does this not work for me!!!!!!!

Love every minute of it

Thanks a lot guys. The reason why I ask is because I am blue in BJJ and was thinking of switching to Judo to see if that would suit my mindset better than BJJ. Dont get me wrong. I love BJJ but since most sparring begins on the knees, I do not have the confidence to apply it as a martial art even though I have been doing it for a few years now.

Judo appeals to me simply because it is more instinctive and direct to apply in a fight. In an ideal world I would learn both because they compliment each other very well but I wont have the time or the money to do both right now.

I presently have the option of switching to a Judo school where the instructor is also a BJJ purple belt and they do BJJ once a week. This would mean that I will be doing judo throws twice a week while doing BJJ once a week. I am unsure where I would be with my BJJ game with two years of training in this school. I think my progress in BJJ would come to a grinding halt (at blue belt level) while I will be half way to what a judo black belt is? I wonder if it would be a good trade off in the long scheme of things. If I dont like judo then I would could return to BJJ at the same level as I left with better take downs. If I like judo then I may progress to black belt level with slightly better ground game than most judo black belts.

So yes. A part of me says look you have invested a few years into BJJ so just be patient and keep doing it. Train stand up game a bit more and give yourself a few more years and you will have the take downs even though they will come at a snails pace.

Second part of me says develop stand up grappling. You may find that it is your true calling. If it is not then only a few years will be lost in this experiment. You will go back to your bjj with the same belt level but at least you will have some take down stand up skill.

Either ways you are taking a chance here.

Which part of me should I listen to? Thanks.

Do it.

I think training Judo is a great idea.

Like you said. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and you can go back to Bjj.

I teach 2 Bjj classes per week in a judo dojo. They also have 4 judo classes as well.

Everyone cross train and compete.

I have about 4-6 judo bb training bjj .

Their ground skills varies but no one really cares because it is the tachiwaza that they will smash you with.

I've been practicing judo for over 40 years and Bjj for over 25 years. The reason I started was because I was a judo bb getting submitted by Bjj blue belts during newaza. I swallow my pride and started cross training. That was in Brazil, But many of my judo pears were too proud to put a white belt and yet were getting submitted by lower ranked belts in Bjj. I had competitors bb judo guys signing up for bjj tournament saying they would win with judo but yet asking me to teach them some techniques to help in the tournament which I would reply: But it would be BJJ not JUDO!
To answer your question, if a Judo bb only trains in a Judo school who emphasizes IJF judo competition rules that person would get demolish against blue belts in BJJ because the training is usually 75,80% standing. There will be also those Judo bb who cross train in Bjj but denies saying that they only do Judo (like some people I know) and there are some schools like mine that have high level instructions on both and compete on both.

some of the fogeys got vocally scared the other night when I had a white belt in omoplata, i used it to sweep him but I thin they were worried I was gonna bust his shoulder.

I also get yelled at for guillotining everybody. cest la vie.

some of the fogeys got vocally scared the other night when I had a white belt in omoplata, i used it to sweep him but I thin they were worried I was gonna bust his shoulder.

I also get yelled at for guillotining everybody. cest la vie.

Omoplatas and Guillotines at a Judo club? RJ my man you like to live on the edge lol.

god forbid we learn something besides olympic judo eh? it's almost like there's zero chance most judo players will ever make it to the olympics...

Really depends on the specific player. For example Jimmy Pedro's students have way more focus on the ground game than others. It's also important to note that they train different things, i.e. pinning, turnovers.

god forbid we learn something besides olympic judo eh? it's almost like there's zero chance most judo players will ever make it to the olympics...

I stopped using the aforementioned techniques as well as arm triangles, NS chokes, anacondas/darces. All of which are my bread and butter BJJ submissions lol.

If I perform any of them in my judo club I get a "is that legal?" or "that's a neck crank" but that's the sad state of Judo in Canada.

FUCK THAT. it's a contact sport for chrissakes. a neck crank should mean cervical dislocation, not 'oh my neck kinda hurts.'

and like i've said before, i love how we worry about 'endangering the neck' yet teach white belts to throw each other flat on their back AS HARD AS POSSIBLE.

if they don't like it, they can tap.

FUCK THAT. it's a contact sport for chrissakes. a neck crank should mean cervical dislocation, not 'oh my neck kinda hurts.'

and like i've said before, i love how we worry about 'endangering the neck' yet teach white belts to throw each other flat on their back AS HARD AS POSSIBLE.

if they don't like it, they can tap.

I agree with and like what you're saying RJ but I don't want to be seen as the "BJJ bully" at my judo club. I'll stick with clock chokes and a handful of collar chokes when I'm training Judo lol.

Let me put it this way; if we're training throws/takedowns at my BJJ club I'm not going to wreck uke with huge forward throws as hard as I can lol. They're not trained for them nor are they expecting it.

at BJJ I never put any heat on nagekomi, but I'll darce and arm triangle the fuck outta people at Judo. I don't want to facilitate ignorance. i totally get what you mean about not wanting to be the bully, but it's not your fault people don't cross-train.

my new leg grab philosophy is "Are we competing or are we at Judo practice?"

i think it's sacrilege that Judo players aren't training leg grabs and avoid groundwork. there's a sport for that - it's called Kurash.

i'll scream it from the high heavens: the IJF ain't Judo. it's like if they made 'murican Football pass-only because they want to 'differentiate it from Rugby.'

Judo's a fuckin chore to watch in real time. it's 50% gripfighting, 30% turtling, 10% stopping the match/fixing pajamas, 5% waiting for the ref jury to make a call and 5% actual Judo.

at BJJ I never put any heat on nagekomi, but I'll darce and arm triangle the fuck outta people at Judo. I don't want to facilitate ignorance. i totally get what you mean about not wanting to be the bully, but it's not your fault people don't cross-train.

my new leg grab philosophy is "Are we competing or are we at Judo practice?"

i think it's sacrilege that Judo players aren't training leg grabs and avoid groundwork. there's a sport for that - it's called Kurash.

i'll scream it from the high heavens: the IJF ain't Judo. it's like if they made 'murican Football pass-only because they want to 'differentiate it from Rugby.'

Judo's a fuckin chore to watch in real time. it's 50% gripfighting, 30% turtling, 10% stopping the match/fixing pajamas, 5% waiting for the ref jury to make a call and 5% actual Judo.
That's basically why, while I have an interest in training judo, I'd probably never compete in it. I also wish more people had your attitude. This might make me sound like a "tough guy" or whatever, but if I'm training a martial art I do care whether or not it works against someone who's trying to fuck me up and stuff which only works in a sport-specific metagame really is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back