Judo black belt can't compete in BJJ white belt category?

I know several competitive judo BB who can fight well against a BJJ purple, on the other hand I also saw some casual judo BB getting tooled by 3 and 4 stripes BJJ white belt...

It's not a matter of color but commitment.

WB division should be like a kind of "tutorial" where acquiring some competitive experience matters more than winning or losing. Also blue belt is still a beginner belt, it just means you have mastered the basics just like a 1st dan.

Judo in the US sounds terrible from what people are saying. I could tap out blues and occasionally purple belts of my weight when I was a blue belt in Judo, maybe my club just practises more newaza than usual but it still sounds like a sad state of affairs in the US.

I do loads of newaza at judo in UK. I have been smashed by some of the uk's finest. I know 2 that are at bjj bb level. However I know plenty of judo bb that would get tapped by good wb/ fresh bb. The whole judo bb is too wide a scope in ground skills to generalize and put onto same bracket, however no judo bb should fight at wb bjj level.

I like that rule. No Judo Black Belts and College Wrestlers at white belt. You guys should fight someone your own skill..... Go where the challenges are

I would hate facing a judo BB at white belt. I feel like even without ever going to the ground I'd be thrown on my head for the whole round and lose on points. Unless I try to butt scoot and pull him into guard and work from there. But maybe I'm over estimating the skills of the typical Judo BB.

I dont know if its been said before in this thread but just to clarify you can not compete as a whitebelt in blue under ibjjf rules, that is a common mistake people dont get.
A judo bb/wrestler/pro mma fighter cannot compete at white but neither can they wear a whitebelt and fight at blue they have to wait to receive their blue belt before competing.

I totally agree with that. I am just starting out as a white belt with no other martial arts training, and if I were to enter a tournament and be matched up with a judo bb, I would have no chance. Wouldn't even matter if I had better bjj or not.

Judo in the US sounds terrible from what people are saying. I could tap out blues and occasionally purple belts of my weight when I was a blue belt in Judo, maybe my club just practises more newaza than usual but it still sounds like a sad state of affairs in the US.

Yeah, not many dojos in the US. I bet in Maryland that there are more BJJ gyms than Judoka. It7s really a limited pool to draw from here.

I dont know if its been said before in this thread but just to clarify you can not compete as a whitebelt in blue under ibjjf rules, that is a common mistake people dont get.
A judo bb/wrestler/pro mma fighter cannot compete at white but neither can they wear a whitebelt and fight at blue they have to wait to receive their blue belt before competing.

That bites... So since I have no official bjj rank, I literally cannot compete in a IBJJF sanctioned event?

If BJJ would just have divisions similar to wrestling we wouldnt have these problems. Who cares about white or blue belt competitions, we should only really be caring about black. Have 2-3 divisions, beginner (under 6 months grappling), Intermediate (white-purple), and advanced (brown, black, red). This would drastically get rid of sandbaggers and stop every single person from getting a bjj medal so easily.

If BJJ would just have divisions similar to wrestling we wouldnt have these problems. Who cares about white or blue belt competitions, we should only really be caring about black. Have 2-3 divisions, beginner (under 6 months grappling), Intermediate (white-purple), and advanced (brown, black, red). This would drastically get rid of sandbaggers and stop every single person from getting a bjj medal so easily.

I hear you soda but, marketing. Good for them and human beings in this.lol

It is about the money. white belts makes most of the income.

Thats a great idea, but not likely to happen.

While fans may only care about about the black belts as a competitor I would like to test myself by someone that is around my level/rank. Most white belts won't learn anything by being dominated in 30 seconds by a purple. If they were to switch up the divisions similar to what you said I believe it should be white to blue, purple and the brown to black. Blue is still fairly basic and a white belt would stand somewhat of a chance against them. Not really the case with a white going against a purple.

I don't know if this is the case with all instructors but my instructor feels that high level BJJ guys should be advanced in grade in Judo immediately or very quickly, since he isn't one of these people who is uber protective of Judo, wanting to keep wrestlers and BJJ guys out. He says bring them in and rank them immediately in Judo according to how their skills translate to Judo.
There is a lot more to judo rank than your performance in randori/shiai (sparring practice/competition). Judo is a traditional martial art, and part of being ranked means knowing and understanding the theory, history, terminology and vocabulary; not to mention the 68 throws plus variations, 9 kata, etc.. You can't expect to walk into a judo dojo with your BJJ purple belt and get ranked for a brown belt because you can handle yourself on the mat, but you don't know how Sesae-tsurikomi-ashi is performed or what the gokyo-no-waza is.

The judo promotion system, as it exists in traditional dojos anyway, recognizes people that learn the curriculum of the art as a whole, not just one small part of it. If an instructor does hand out rank based solely on mat performance but without the rest of the criteria he isn't doing judo any favors.

All of the national governing bodies have validation exams that allow you to skip ahead to the rank you are capable of testing for, but it is an extensive test. To validation test for Ikkyu in the USJA, for example, you would have an 8 page written exam, demonstrate 25 throwing techniques (with several of them from left and right grips), demonstrate several hold downs, chokes, joint locks, grips, escapes, combinations, the list goes on and on. A complete brown belt test in judo takes a couple of hours and requires a lot of judo knowledge.

There is a lot more to judo rank than your performance in randori/shiai (sparring practice/competition). Judo is a traditional martial art, and part of being ranked means knowing and understanding the theory, history, terminology and vocabulary; not to mention the 68 throws plus variations, 9 kata, etc.. You can't expect to walk into a judo dojo with your BJJ purple belt and get ranked for a brown belt because you can handle yourself on the mat, but you don't know how Sesae-tsurikomi-ashi is performed or what the gokyo-no-waza is.

The judo promotion system, as it exists in traditional dojos anyway, recognizes people that learn the curriculum of the art as a whole, not just one small part of it. If an instructor does hand out rank based solely on mat performance but without the rest of the criteria he isn't doing judo any favors.

All of the national governing bodies have validation exams that allow you to skip ahead to the rank you are capable of testing for, but it is an extensive test. To validation test for Ikkyu in the USJA, for example, you would have an 8 page written exam, demonstrate 25 throwing techniques (with several of them from left and right grips), demonstrate several hold downs, chokes, joint locks, grips, escapes, combinations, the list goes on and on. A complete brown belt test in judo takes a couple of hours and requires a lot of judo knowledge.

Thanks for the knowledge.

To the people saying its easy to get a medal in bjj, are you taking something? So what if there is 5 skill categories that is hardly extravagant, you can spend 7 years doing this and still be intermediate level (blue or purple) compared to a blackbelt. If its so easy why are you not battering blackbelts on the mat.

To validation test for Ikkyu in the USJA, for example, you would have an 8 page written exam

This is kinda weird, and definitely not the case everywhere. In Belgium, you only have a written exam - apart from performing katas and demonstrating various techniques - for grades starting from 6th dan and higher up.

For kyu grades and 'lower' dan grades, you only need shiai points and the normal technique exam.

Back