Judo black belt can't compete in BJJ white belt category?

At my first ever tourney in 2003, I entered the beginners div at my weight. In my first fight, I was thrown, mounted and submitted in about 10 seconds (no exaggeration). I was stunned. No one at my school had ever just completely destroyed me like that. I was in the locker room trying to gather myself, and a teammate ran in and told me the officials were looking for me. Someone watching the fight knew that my opponent was a Black Belt in Judo, and told the officials. NAGA disqualified him for sand-bagging, and awarded me the match. I went on to take gold and receive my Blue Belt because of how I performed in that tournament. So, speaking from personal experience, if you have a Black Belt in Judo, you have absolutely no business in the White Belt/Novice division of a BJJ/Sub wrestling tourney.

Great story, and way to go, picking yourself up and winning afterwards.

Hard to make blanket assumptions about Judo Shodans. When I was competing a few years ago in the masters division (as a Sankyu) I handled a few standing and on the mat. I was also viciously slaughtered by a a few more as well.

The guys who got Shodan at my last two clubs are legit, and honestly I can't see them fighing at WB level in BJJ without calling them out....some that I've come across from other clubs would get slaughtered by Blue belts.

Different clubs, different criteriea,

Judo BB ground skills vary widely. Those that cross train BJJ are lethal, but even national level Judo BBs can have a basic understanding of Newaza. They do have a great base and awesome choke defence but certainly not BJJ Blue Belt level for a new Shodan.

I was never against Shodans competing at BJJ comps in theory; however i definately see its a bit of a kick in the teeth to someone who has only been training in BJJ a few months.

I beat a guy at the IBJFF Euro's at WB, I later found out he was a Judo BB, and probably so for a number of years (since we're Masters). It clearly states this is against the rules, so if I lost i would have been angry to say the least.

A Judo BB who isn't newaza focused nor was exposed to BJJ maybe is still a white belt. That is possible.

But even in that case, give him 6 months of BJJ and he won't be white belt level. It's similar to throwing a good wrestler in BJJ - he'll jump through the ranks.

Over the past year I've dropped in once every other week into BJJ. At first I tapped no one and even tapped to whites sometimes. Then I adapted my game, now squash most of the blues and regularly tap purples. My next goal is to be able to tap browns within a year, by improving my sub game (I'm already good at passing and pinning). I'm not joking. The basic grappling sense is there, so it's easy to adapt and fill in the holes. A beginner wouldn't know where to look. At first it was just the DLR and other weird shit that stopped me, but all you gotta do is YouTube...

I'm not a judo black belt, but I train primarily no-gi with an MMA club. I've competed in and won 2 white belt comps in the gi. I know there are white belts with a lot more than that, but I have been wondering how much longer is it moral or ethical for me to enter as a white belt. I mean I'm not trying to say I deserve a blue belt or anything like that, as I don't consistently train gi BJJ (about an hour a week) but just trying to figure out at what point will I be sandbagging.

If you are a black belt in judo and feel the need to compete against white belts in BJJ, you are a fucking pussy.

Ahahahah, this is the crux of it that no-one ever wants to say, nice one Holt.

People always whining about the intricacies of their situation and why they, as an experienced grappler, should be allowed to fight complete noobs.

If you achieve a Judo black belt and still feel the need to fight beginners on a technicality then you are a bully and a coward and what's more you have such a fucking pussy ass ego that you will achieve nothing in the sport of BJJ. You're outing yourself as a pussy from the off.

Judo black belts should just leave those poor BJJ white belts alone! And experienced wrestlers also - stay away from the white belts...

Hard to make blanket assumptions about Judo Shodans.

I can't see them fighing at WB level in BJJ without calling them out....some that I've come across from other clubs would get slaughtered by Blue belts.

Different clubs, different criteriea,

For sure. Lots of guys in Korea have BBs. The level on the ground varies. I've also trained with guys that were on the Korean National Team and former members.

Most of the guys on the National Team were blue belt level at least. One was probably purple belt level I'd say, and he knew some footlocks. I only got the chance to roll with him in no gi (they would always want to roll no gi), but I saw him giving a really high level black belt a VERY good roll in the gi. His base, intensity, defense, and cardio were awesome. I was a purple at the time, and I honestly don't think I could have tapped him. He probably would have mauled me truth be told.

Anyway, technically, they were all white belts.

I also had a couple of teammates that had been on the team (one for sure and I think the other one, too). They got their blue belts pretty quick.

One was a super high level dude and went to Judo college. He wouldn't do so hot in competition.

The other got his blue belt in a few months and did Abu Dhabi Pro. He mauled everyone and even ended up breaking some guy's arm. He lost in the finals by a point or an advantage or something. Scary dude.

Just to stir the pot. How would those of you in the "No Judo BBs in the WB division" camp feel about a new Shodan showing up at your BJJ club and being a handed a Blue belt after a month or less?

Just to stir the pot. How would those of you in the "No Judo BBs in the WB division" camp feel about a new Shodan showing up at your BJJ club and being a handed a Blue belt after a month or less?

heh heh heh... I grabbed a blue belt off the wall at BJJ, and I still got complaints :icon_chee

*shrug* it's a blue belt. No biggie

In my academy has come a Black belt national champion of Judo (Argentina), he fight better than white and blue belts, is very explosive and faster, destroy every block attempt and is a super guard passer, is attack is basic, but very effective, only purple and brown belts can deal with him. I think then in competition can be very unfare get him on a white belt category...

Actually we promote every judoka to blue belt the day they earn their shodan. We call them the hydrids.

I'm assuming that a skilled grappler entering at lower level is doing it so his BJJ coach can assess his ability. The coach is being a douche, not the grappler who can't give himself a belt.
He should just be allowed to compete in a higher belt division without having that belt.

He should just be allowed to compete in a higher belt division without having that belt.

And then he loses horribly. What then?

He can't go back down to white belt because now we've got witnesses who've seen him compete at a higher level.

Why not just have him start from the lowest level and promote him if he wins?

And then he loses horribly. What then?

He can't go back down to white belt because now we've got witnesses who've seen him compete at a higher level.

Why not just have him start from the lowest level and promote him if he wins?

If he looses horribly he should train more.
Crushing white belts with your judo skills is ultra lame.

If some athlete from a different sport had to actually compete at black black level I wouldn't feel bad if he got a black belt after a month.

If he looses horribly he should train more.
Crushing white belts with your judo skills is ultra lame.
Well that is assuming that a shodan can handle specific BJJ points systems and rules ! Which is often not the case.

That's a good thing. It makes the white belt division more fair. Imagine if you were a white belt set for his first tournament and you had to go against a Judo black belt.

I was a white belt who had a match against a judo blackbelt in a white belt division in my first tournament. I got thrown around mercilessly for five minutes and lost like 20-0

Back