Judge unseals Epstein docs dozens to be named.

No, bro, experimentalists don't come up with the ideas. Theoreticians come up with ideas that are testable and then the experimentalists go to work. Maybe time is wasted on things like String theory but who knows if in the future somebody comes up with a way to test it.
"experimentalists don't come up with the ideas": I know. I said they could. We're not talking about dummies here.

"Maybe time is wasted on things like String theory": lol. Gigantic understatement.

That's not true and it's actually why I have a gripe with theoretical physics.

Some of it is incredible and leads to beautiful discoveries. Most of it is trash.

For it to be a theory it has to make predictions that are then proven.

Reactions: N13
Did you know that without using the equations from SR that GPS would not be possible?
When Einstein's SR is fixed with a little tweak, then GPS works fine. And it does.

Are you trolling with flat earth bait?

Hawking was a darksider. He fucked up physics by making time a spatial coordinate system rather than a measurement of change in 3 dimensions. One negative result was String theory. Brilliant minds working on useless things rather than something that yields positive results.

Theoretical physics is one of the biggest scams in history.

I remember hearing Eric Weinstein talking about this sort of thing on Rogan:

There's a good chance that it's by design.

Last edited:
You're playing with words now, sir.
Not really. I'm sure there are scientists that test their own theories but I don't think that discounts from the genius of pure theoreticians like Einstein. The Standard Model predicted a great many things, from quarks to the Higgs boson, but it took decades before we had the technology to confirm them. Darwin's theory has stood up to every test for 150 years spanning scientific revolutions.

Not really. I'm sure there are scientists that test their own theories but I don't think that discounts from the genius of pure theoreticians like Einstein. The Standard Model predicted a great many things, from quarks to the Higgs boson, but it took decades before we had the technology to confirm them. Darwin's theory has stood up to every test for 150 years spanning scientific revolutions.
Totally agree with you.

Now look at the rest of theory papers.

The theory was absolutely pointless until other scientists proved it. You don't think they could have come with their own theories before making their experiments?

What does "taking the piss" mean?
Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I think. Without the theoreticians, experimenters would be poking around in the dark hoping to get lucky.

"taking the piss"

Theoretical physics can be extremely useful and lead to important discoveries, but the biggest problem I have with it is the wasted brain power doing research on mindless projects. Congrats! You've published a paper that can't be proven or disproven. If it's proven down the line, you were right, but it doesn't change anything.

The scientific minds who do observations and experiments are the ones who should be praised. They're doing the real work.

Many theoretical physicians think they'll be the next Einstein (who was wrong about many things). I'd rather see most of them work on useful, concrete projects you can test.

Look at Einstein's cosmological constant. He added it to an equation to make it fit the answer he wanted. Let's say he was right. What would it have accomplished?

lol I disagree with all of this.

Consider, just for an example, all the sub-atomic particles which were predicted theoretically before they were ever discovered experimentally. Without such predictions who'd have tied to discover the fucking things, eh?

There are many experimental results that only occurred because experimentalists knew where to look thanks to theoreticians.

Then there are the theoretical results which lead to great practical uses later on.

Please elaborate on the many things you report Einstein to have been wrong about, will you?
They should call it hypothetical physics

Back