Juan Manuel Lopez retires

Yes to all your questions, including a bad trainer, he could have gone down as an all time great but at the end of the day Juanma is to blame, it was Salido who took his soul but it was an accumulation of damage he took prior to Salido from Mtwaga, Marquez and Concepcion.

It's hard to say if he would have beaten Gamboa while he was on the juice, without the juice, Juanma would have taken his head off.
I think it was simpler than that. I've noticed that lots of Puerto Rican fighters will fall in love with that hook and I think thats what happened to Lopez. There were times in the ring where he looked like one of those toy monkeys that bangs the cymbals together with one arm missing. He wanted to stop everyone with that hook and stopped throwing everything else for a while. Danny Garcia did it for a while too.

I think it was simpler than that. I've noticed that lots of Puerto Rican fighters will fall in love with that hook and I think thats what happened to Lopez. There were times in the ring where he looked like one of those toy monkeys that bangs the cymbals together with one arm missing. He wanted to stop everyone with that hook and stopped throwing everything else for a while. Danny Garcia did it for a while too.
I agree that that he stuck with his right hook for what looked like his entire career, you dont think a good trainer would have changed him and made him more disciplined if would have found him early in his career?

I think thats whats hurting PR fighters today, lack of good PR trainers, I hope PR prospects follow Cotto's footsteps and reach out to more western trainers

He was 1000 weight classes bigger than Raffy or Pena, his best wins. Mtagwa and Salido beat his ass and derailed the hype.
Mtagwa didn't beat his ass. He finished strong but got his ass kicked for the majority of that fight.

Back