Jose Aldo releases a statement after the UFC 218

educate yourself.

fight pass....great place to start.
Even if you look back at his matches, his WEC competition was pretty damn weak, as were his first 2 years in the UFC. Faber and Mike Brown were really his only good WEC wins against legitimate competition, and Mike Brown was in the twilight of his career. Swanson didn't get good until much later. Then his first UFC unified belt defense was against Mark Hominick, a journeyman at best who got beat down in his next 3 fights and retired. Then Kenny Florian, after he dropped down from Lightweight, beat a fringe top 15 fighter in Diego Nunes and was magically granted a title shot despite being on the verge of retirement, had no accolades at Feathweight, and didn't even look that great against Nunes.

After the Florian fight is where he started to fight legitimate guys as Feathweight attracted a lot of the smaller Lightweights who were elite. His big wins as a champion were Mendes x2, Edgar and Lamas. As much as we all like the Korean Zombie, he hadn't done anything so great as to warrant a title shot, and was a fringe top 10-15 guy at best. Essentially, at best, Aldo over his WEC and UFC career had 5 strong wins.

Basically, if a10 year unbeaten streak, and a lot of vicious beatings put on some pretty weak competition in WEC and UFC before getting 6 very strong wins over 5 different fighters is enough to warrant GOAT status, then Aldo is your man. Before I get attacked, I'd like to point out that I would put him there at this point, but I think Holloway has a good claim to it even at this moment.

I wish I could get my time back from reading that "statement". He said exactly nothing.

hqdefault.jpg
sigh, it was in very poor taste for the ufc to release that.

Even if you look back at his matches, his WEC competition was pretty damn weak, as were his first 2 years in the UFC. Faber and Mike Brown were really his only good WEC wins against legitimate competition, and Mike Brown was in the twilight of his career. Swanson didn't get good until much later. Then his first UFC unified belt defense was against Mark Hominick, a journeyman at best who got beat down in his next 3 fights and retired. Then Kenny Florian, after he dropped down from Lightweight, beat a fringe top 15 fighter in Diego Nunes and was magically granted a title shot despite being on the verge of retirement, had no accolades at Feathweight, and didn't even look that great against Nunes.

After the Florian fight is where he started to fight legitimate guys as Feathweight attracted a lot of the smaller Lightweights who were elite. His big wins as a champion were Mendes x2, Edgar and Lamas. As much as we all like the Korean Zombie, he hadn't done anything so great as to warrant a title shot, and was a fringe top 10-15 guy at best. Essentially, at best, Aldo over his WEC and UFC career had 5 strong wins.

Basically, if a10 year unbeaten streak, and a lot of vicious beatings put on some pretty weak competition in WEC and UFC before getting 6 very strong wins over 5 different fighters is enough to warrant GOAT status, then Aldo is your man. Before I get attacked, I'd like to point out that I would put him there at this point, but I think Holloway has a good claim to it even at this moment.
Hominick was never the same after his trainer died.

Jose will always be my favorite 145’er. Here’s to you Jose, cheers my friend.

LOL he's not the goat if he lost convincingly twice in his prime in a non fluke fashion.

educate yourself. learn the definition of goat.

Who is it then?

Who is it then?
No one as every FW has practically lost in their prime lmao.

Sherdog is so fucking dumb sometimes.

Aldo
Max

I don't see any argument otherwise.

Has anyone from Nova Uniao improved in the last two and a half years, or have they all nose dived?

Aldo, Barao, Leites. Hacran Dias.. all dropped off significantly since, err, that time frame.
The same can be said for Jackson/wink and AKA.
Fighters getting KOud,injured for long periods of time and getting caught with suspicious substances by USADA.
That,err,time frame is unmercifull to no nation it seems.

True
Aldo and GSP were both targets for the DFW hate/discrediting machine as much as i can remember .
Never ever get saw any org do something like That with two being champions of their caliber.

Meh - Pretty sure everyone had respect for him seeing how much it hurt him. It's a far cry from interviewing a broken, concussed Cormier.

People only started turning on Aldo around the Conor/Diaz fight when he started acting like a bitch.

You can do this to literally any ones record, especially champs who have dominated for years.

Aldo is an all time great regardless of your feelings.

#145GOAT !!! Had some of the best lighter weight fights in MMA History. Just time has caught up to him. Still is a top 5 FW.

You can do this to literally any ones record, especially champs who have dominated for years.

Aldo is an all time great regardless of your feelings.
You really can't do that though. Yes, he's an all-time Featherweight great, duh, maybe he's the GOAT right now, but I don't think it's a very strong claim to GOAT and will be surpassed soon, if not already, by Max, or even Conor if he comes back to FW, which is highly doubtful. Longtime champs have a few squash matches when there are no fights at the time, but you can't just deny when competition is weak for a period of time, especially when Featherweight was really only popular in WEC and other international organizations at the time.

Aldo's big claim to GOAT status is his 18-fight win streak over 10 years. Max Holloway currently has a 12 fight win streak in just one month short of 4 years. In his last 7 fights, including the Aldo fights, he toppled 5(6) of the top 5 and 1 of the top 6-10, (rematches are counted in the parentheses). During Aldo's UFC tenure he accumulated 5(7) top 5, and 0 top 6-10 wins.

Here's where I can get to the root of the problem; during fights against like Hominick, for example, 7 of the worldwide top 10 fighters weren't even in the UFC and Hominick was ranked below all of them and would be #15-16 depending on the ranker, but by technicality he was ranked #3 in the UFC. That's how much of a joke Featherweight was at the time. Or look at when Florian was ranked #1 with a single Featherweight win over worldwide ranked #13 Nunes, but because of the weak UFC competition he was ranked #3, so take that ranking for what it's worth, jack shit.

My point is that Aldo was king of a division that was newly developing in the West and wasn't facing internationally ranked fighters who had much deeper Featherweight divisions. So yes, by UFC standards he's probably the GOAT, but Max has been beating top guys in a much more competitive era, equaling most of Aldo's top wins minus Mendes and Edgar, and then beating Aldo himself. If Max beats Edgar I would absolutely rank him the GOAT Featherweight no question.

Please go to Kings, at least for training camp. Aldo isn't done yet. Far from it.

I'm still in awe at how easily he handled Edgar in their rematch. If he can do that to Frankie, he could definitely wreck a lot of the top 15

Problem is that he seems to struggle with longer opponents with considerable reach/height advantage who can strike.
Which is getting more and more common as the guy at each weight class are getting bigger on average..

He needs to reinvent himself in another training camp if he wants to makes waves again, but I for one, certainly believe his best days are behing him.

That's a very boring statement. It's like picking up a random Hallmark card.

Back