Jon Jones title run in retrospect

Best ever simple and plain.

Jon fought and beat pretty much every opponent in their prime and their best IMO.

There are countless fighters that used steroids and never came close to performing like Jon Jones has. He definitely took banned substances, whether you believe it was intentional or not, but he still has great skills and fight IQ. He may be the greatest fighter that the MMA world has seen. His legacy is tarnished forever because of his failed tests and horrible personal life outside of the Octagon. I'll always tune into his fights though. I'm a fan of his work, not a fan of him as a human.

Nobody can beat him
Would love to see him at heavyweight. His performances versus Alex and OSP make a HW run very interesting, especially big guys with similar dimensions and power. He is a long big guy that knows how to use his reach, but when that is negated, things get interesting - and what happens with a guy with power? I have a feeling Hardy Jones will happen in a few years, and that will be bonkers: two NFL caliber athletes (or atleast Jones family) and the first battle of true A level athletes.

He will lose one day. Everyone does. When will it come tho?

Jon fought and beat pretty much every opponent in their prime and their best IMO.
DC is definitely a better HW and was depleted at LHW. That being said, Jones matches up well with him. The fact he failed every drug test when fighting him shows how much Jones respects him too.

Jones is a great fighter, but a horrible human being. We will never know how long he was on PED's but his record speaks for itself.

Jon Jones GOAT if PEDs don't count.
GSP GoAT if they do.

Only two men to beat every guy to step foot infront of them.

Another noob discrediting Jones wins, whats new.

Man, imagine if he wasn't such a mess up. The guy would be breaking every single record. So much talent somewhat wasted. I'm a hater of Jones, but he is goat fighter. He's not goat competitive fighter, goes to Fedor, mm, gsp. If you know what I mean. If you can choose only one fighters skill set, it would have to be Jones. He's dangerous everywhere. Only weapon he doesn't have is 1 punch knockout.

Never had an overly amazing amateur athletic background.
Youngest ever UFC Champion.
Beat Shogun three years into his career.
Say what you want about his wins, he did still decisively beat DC once, and KO him when they met again.

But the steroids thing...

I love him still.

Indeed.

Greatest Offending Anabolic Taker.
I can't help but ask when I see a comment like this if steroids was all it took why out of the 1000's of guys that have been busted (including seveal on Jon's own resume why has there only been one Jon Jones, what where all those other users that have gotten caught (and the ones who haven't) doing wrong?

Hi sherdog,

I was thinking about how Jon Jones is probably the best fighter of all time. Then I started considering his run and the guys he beat and I was kind of shocked to find that really he has beaten 3 prime good opponents.

Lets look at the careers of all his opponents within 3 years of title contention. I am not going beyond 3 years because then prime is a consideration I want the fighters to be comparable to the guys he fought.

Shogun.
Record prior: 19-4
Record next 3 years: 3-3 losses to gus and Henderson, chael. Beat Forrest, James T Huna, and Vera...

Rampage.
Record Prior: 32-8
Record next 3 years: 2-2 losses to Bader and Texiera, wins over Mpumbu and Beltran...

Machida.
Record prior: 17-2
Record next 3 years: 4-2 Machida was still good in this fight and its a good win He beat Henderson and Bader and probably got robbed by Davis if you watched that fight. then went on to get to a title shot at MW to lose to Weidman.

Rashad:
Record prior: 17-1-1
Record next 3 years: 2-1 Rashad arguably lost to Dan but he beat him and chael after losing to old lil nog. He then fell off a cliff.

Vitor:
Record prior: 21-9
Record next 3 years: 3-1 wait a minute...

wait... nevermind.. Jones is one of if not the greatest of all time. seriously... these guys were all still good after he beat them... I just turned from a hater to a maybe kind of fan... wow.

goat cheater only.

Someone help me out here. I don't disagree that Jones is very talented and one of the goats but how can some call him the goat?

Khabib has lost 1 round in his career and never looked in trouble or got a bruised up face. Jones has lost many rounds over many fights and beaten to a pulp by Gus and yet some think he's THE goat? If he was that damn good why couldn't he implement his gameplan without losing so many rounds and taking so much damage just like the eagle?

Btw I'm not using this to say Khabib is THE goat but as something to measure goat status by.

Top 5 all time MMA fighter. Future GOAT if he makes a propa comeback.

I'm a GSP fanboy, and I think he's the GOAT, but if it wasn't for the fact that Jon Jones was a cheater, he could/should have been the real GOAT. His schedule strenght was just legendary, as he fought a string of past champions and just dismantled them in glorious fashion, most of the time.

But he's a cheater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back