Jon Anik ‘not surprised’ by Jon Jones UFC 295 withdrawal

sdpdude9

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
“Not surprised, with respect,” Anik told MMA Fighting. “I thought it was ambitious to suggest that Jon Jones after that type of extended layoff would compete at UFC 285 in March and then be able to turn it round again in early November. I just thought it was ambitious, with respect.

“You know how seriously Jon Jones takes all of these championship fights. No man, nor woman has won as many title fights as Jon Jones and that really is the only biggest record that actually matters, but I have to wonder aloud, was this injury preventable, had he been in the gym for every minute that he possibly could be dating to that past title [fight] — and I’m not necessarily suggesting that that’s the right recipe for success either — but I’m not surprised that this fight did not necessarily materialize. “

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/11/7/23948886/jon-anik-explains-why-he-wasnt-surprised-by-jon-jones-ufc-295-withdrawal-i-just-thought-ambitious

Ambitious to turn around 8 months later after sustaining zero damage in his last fight? Found this to be a very odd take so wanted to share.

Anik that guy to say that he called something after it already happened just for the sake of being right that's the vibe I'm getting off of this... this guy said nothing before but then when it happened all the sudden he's not surprised..

Ya okay bud..

Jones should have struck while the iron was hot. Stipe & the UFC were ready for July(2 PPVs) & Jon wanted to wait until MSG. Maybe he still would have gotten hurt or maybe it was a matter of time or staying in shape.

Bot Anik is right in his calculation...

His coding was purposefully written to state pro ufc narrative ai script

Last edited:
Oye…Anik knows about as much as we do…just a lot of speculation. It’s not like Jones is a young man, but I do find it suspicious what he hurt. Just being honest, it’s a roid type injury….how many fighters have torn a pec? Damaged hands, knees, elbows, shoulders…but a pec? I’m sure it’s happened but very, very rare.

i did a little searching, Jared Cannonier. But lifters, football players, and powerlifters it is very common (psst, guys that use a lot of steroids, even stacking steroids…).

Nobody is more of a company man than he is obviously. Ofc he's gonna say shit like this.
DC and Bitchping have surpassed Anik as superior shills my friend.

Anik having his, "I'm not surprised muthafuckas" moment.

An 8 month turn around is plenty long John, relax. Just him in company mode trying to protect their asset

Jones should have struck while the iron was hot. Stipe & the UFC were ready for July(2 PPVs) & Jon wanted to wait until MSG. Maybe he still would have gotten hurt or maybe it was a matter of time or staying in shape.

Jon having his last fight in MSG would've been so fitting though. He's from NY, I'm sure it's always been his dream to headline MSG.

In what world is March to November a quick turnaround? March was a 60 second fight with no weight cut. What the fuck is Anikbot even talking about

I believe that he means that JBJ essentially let himself go; and that his (now much older) body wasn't sufficiently conditioned for multiple training camps.
Could be wrong, though.

Despite what people say, Jon Anik's actually a decent commentator because he can react quickly to what's in front of him, has a good attention to small details, and can robotically say an ad when told to.

None of which necessarily makes you a good analyst though which is where he's faulting here. He's in play by play for a reason.

Back