Joe Rogan: "Wrestling is the most important skill in MMA"

The rules of UFC/Bellator help with that....so, yes!
Wrestlers were equally successful in PRIDE with soccer kicks. only difference is there were less of them back then but the ones who were there did good.

People always seem to think soccer kicks = death of wrestlers, but in reality it would be the opposite. Wrestlers would pin opponents to the cage (think khabib/barboza) then back off and soccer kick their heads off.

Wrestling's up there, but I got to go with Dim Mak.

I kind of agree, but a guy that is really good at just one thing can be a UFC champ if it is striking, bjj or wrestling, so not always... (Werdum, Jacare, Maia and Khabib are just terrible in all diciplines except grappling. Conor, JDS have little to no groundgame).
Werdum and Jacare aren’t terrible strikers though.. they certainly aren’t elite by jacare has several ko’s including with headkicks and werdums Muay Thai has come a longggg way from his early days.

All other skills being equal, the better wrestler will win 100% of the time.

A single side-step from a striker decides where the fight takes place. Even a BJJ fighter falling with his guard ready can decide where the fight takes place.

Rogan is taking a complex matter, simplifies it and turns it into a subtle wrestling cheer.

Don’t be a bunch of retards. He’s saying that being a good grappler is the most important thing for an mma fighter, and it is. Simple as that.

agree.
but not so much at the highest levels.

Because while it is true, you can dictate where the fighter takes place, most elite fighters will have the tools to nullify you.

IMO it is the most important SECONDARY skill. So if you are great on the ground or standing up, you can use wrestling to dictate where to go.
For instance, Chuck (or Silva) used "wrestling" to stay standing, because they were so good at their stand-up game.
Maia, on the other hand, could improve his take-downs, so he could fight where he likes (on the ground).

But a wrestler who is good enough standing or on the ground is the most dominant/dangerous fighters. because he can make sure to fight where you are weakest (i.e. GSP).

Wrestlers were equally successful in PRIDE with soccer kicks. only difference is there were less of them back then but the ones who were there did good.

People always seem to think soccer kicks = death of wrestlers, but in reality it would be the opposite. Wrestlers would pin opponents to the cage (think khabib/barboza) then back off and soccer kick their heads off.
What about strikes to the back of the head?
Legitimately asking since that's always seem to me like it could potentially nerf wrestling

It takes a certain degree of luck to KO someone. So yeah, the wrestlers who are conditioned to be tough have the advantage if they can get their hands on you. The kind of pressure a high level wrestler brings takes away the strikers footwork.

Last edited:
I would agree wrestling is the best base for MMA, but a great striker, ie A. Silva, McGregor, Liddell have slept many great wrestlers.

Liddel beat Couture
McGregor beat Mendes
Silva beat Henderson

Khabib seems like an anomaly as his wrestling is so advanced. Other than Khabib, no UFC champion relies on wrestling to win.

Liddell was a D1 wrestler, and Rogan isn't saying wrestlers beat any opponents - he said it is widely the most effective base with which to embark on training in MMA.

Current UFC Champions.

125 Cejudo Wrestler
135 TJ Wrestler
155 Khabib Wrestler
170 Tyrun Wrestler
205 and HWT Wrestler.

Last edited:
There are too many variables at play to say one wrestling is the most important. No one discipline is the most important. It's pointless to speculate

Wrestling dictates where the fight goes, and it's conditioning and clinch game is second to none.

Joe talks about it during the Suarez/Esparza fight:

"All the skills are important, but when you have someone who has a dominant advantage in wrestling, they choose where the fight takes place."

Agree or disagree?

Yes. Most of today's champs come from a wrestling base. And it's been that way for years. Even GSP improved his wrestling to a godly level to own his division. Guys like Anderson, Aldo, Conor...they're rare. Most top guys have a wrestling base.

If a betting man had to bet on the winner of a fight, but did not know anything about two fighters other than one fighter had a wrestling background and the other had a striking background, then chances are he is going to place his bet on a wrestler. It does not mean the wrestler is going to win, but the odds of a wrestler beating a striker are pretty good.

Tank Abbot once said, "Wrestling is the prerequisite to fighting."
I'm sure he said that about wrestling. I'm just not sure if he said the word "prerequisite"?

It is Tank Abbott after all

I remember in the early days how Dan Severn was just crushing people on the ground with knees. They just couldn't get out of there.

Back