Jiri Interview Post-UFC 300 (MMA Hour w/ Ariel Helwani)

jackleeb

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score

cliffs:
- doesn't give a sh!t about the money; it's about the performance (but bonus is nice)
- was not surprised that alex KO'd jahamal
- but believes jahamal could have shown more in the fight by putting more pressure on alex
- wants to fight for title next, not really interested fighting jahamal next
- if ufc wanted alex vs jiri in brazil in 2 weeks, jiri would accept (not going to happen but still)
- his management working with ufc to get the title shot again; he is ready whenever, confident he can get it
- ariel asks: "wow, so soon?" and jiri responds, "[ yes, because i had a full training camp for rakic so it will carry over ]"
- this training camp was much better because it wasn't only for 1 week like the alex pereira fight (when he had staph infection and antibiotic issues)
- his fighting style adapts to his opponent. even though he was attacked a lot vs rakic, he says his style will change against pereira to not get hit as much since pereira has dangerous power (probably less aggressive? more cautious?)
- jiri is working on combining his aggressive pressure which other people are scared of
with getting good defense and more technical (if he can combine both he will be even more dangerous, this was from post ufc-300 press conference)

- despite getting tko'd, jiri is confident he can beat alex (he has stated this in other interviews, he knows how to reach the point where the opponent cracks under pressure.

he can 'sense' his opponen'ts will, just like against rakic, where he knew he would finish rakic after the 1st round during the water break when he saw that rakic was mentally exhausted that his attacks weren't finishing jiri.

the most difficult part is being careful in distance/timing and defense to not get flatlined in a split second by alex's punch)

Last edited:
Was a really good int.

Dude is insane to want to fight Poatan in only 2 weeks hahahah

Who else would ever say that??

But you see this guys fighting style and you can believe it easy.

Was a really good int.

Dude is insane to want to fight Poatan in only 2 weeks hahahah

Who else would ever say that??

But you see this guys fighting style and you can believe it easy.

i think it would be smarter to recover, wait for alex vs ankalaev,
and fight jahamal in the mean-time. alex is the worst match-up possible for jiri.

at least wait to see if ankalaev can beat alex,
then magomed vs jiri is more favorable for jiri than alex vs jiri II

Fuck it

Jiri vs Alex if they both want a quick turn around

So what hes the champ. He's supposed to be the hardest to beat.

Ank is also gonna be tough for Jiri.

ank is tough, but alex is a worse match-up. not saying jiri can't be alex, but if he gets KO'd again, it would be 2 knock outs in under a year (which is bad for fighter longevity)

also, i think ank deserves a title shot so the islam/khamzat muslim fans can stop hating the other lhw title contenders. let alex and magomed fight, and then jiri can have winner.
good way to study potential weaknesses

but idk i'm just a fight fan who doesn't know shit

True he did, but he might not have known about the injury then Idk.

There was a video I saw yesterday on Sherdog where Alex was training and it showed that he broke his foot in training. His training partners were snapping it back into place for him. I think he doesn't give a fuck. He's like I'm gonna risk that so that I can fight in Brazil in front of my people.

ank is tough, but alex is a worse match-up. not saying jiri can't be alex, but if he gets KO'd again, it would be 2 knock outs in under a year (which is bad for fighter longevity)

but idk i'm just a fight fan who doesn't know shit
We dont know who is a worse matchup really. Ank hasnt fought either guy yet, and Jiri was barely knocked out by Alex. Dude was ready to keep fighting after that stoppage. Sure if im his trainers Id have Jiri rest his brain after that Rakic fight.

Ank should fight Alex next and Jiri can face the winner or fight Jan

True he did, but he might not have known about the injury then Idk.

Also, I just checked and Pereira hasn't fought in Brazil in the UFC at all. That's probably why he's itching to be thrown on the card.

Reactions: HHJ
Brazil crowd is scum but I can only imagine the pop that Poatan is gonna get from that crowd, they'd blow the roof off during his walkout.

Brazil crowd is scum but I can only imagine the pop that Poatan is gonna get from that crowd, they'd blow the roof off during his walkout.

fk it, alex vs jiri II should happen in abu dhabi lol

if they grab Jiri's antennae, im about to pull up and bring the violence

Back