A weird thing about the Jiri fight

Heart, as weveryone is saying but also: Rakic's chin is not outstanding.

No disrespect to Jiri but: I really wanted to see Rakic win, just to present a different against the top. He has a varied threat, so even losing to Jiri, he looked like he could also get a win against someone else up there. While on the other hand, the way Jiri won gave me zero indication that a potential Pereira rematch would be anything more than the random chance he initially presented, just a lot of effective but chaotic offense

I just always want that new blood, even if the old blood ain't cold yet. There's always room for more blood

Jiri is all offensive...which makes him both dangerous and open to get hit.

Rakic looked like and was the better fighter. Jiri was a step behind and getting pieced up. More technical and calculated. Jiri tried to close that gap with chaos but was not working fully until round 2.

The weird thing is that Rakic was winning, in control and better than Jiri yet in round 2 it looked like Jiri finding his shot and inviting chaos was undeniable.

Tldr: Rakic was the better fighter but destined to lose.
It seemed to me that stamina was the dictator of the fight. Rakic just couldn't handle the forward pressure and eventually crumbled after taking a couple decent shots. Jiri's mental toughness is a problem as well -- those leg kicks probably would've been much more effective on other opponents.

Jiri looked dangerous from start to finish. Yes, Rakic was winning and he looked very sharp. The commentary made it seem like Jiri was getting completely dominated.

Jiri looked dangerous from start to finish. Yes, Rakic was winning and he looked very sharp. The commentary made it seem like Jiri was getting completely dominated.

I think it was less that Jiri LOOKED dangerous and more that we all knew he could turn things around at any time. Rakic was beating him pretty handily up until Jiri started landing, though.

No disrespect to Jiri but: I really wanted to see Rakic win, just to present a different against the top. He has a varied threat, so even losing to Jiri, he looked like he could also get a win against someone else up there. While on the other hand, the way Jiri won gave me zero indication that a potential Pereira rematch would be anything more than the random chance he initially presented, just a lot of effective but chaotic offense

I just always want that new blood, even if the old blood ain't cold yet. There's always room for more blood
Rakic has been in the UFC longer than Jiri

If you feel the need to TLDR for 3 sentences, that's not a good look for us.

Jiri doesn't have a point fighting style so Rakic getting the better doesn't mean he was the better fighter, he did look good though

I think it's skill. But it was close. Alex did huge leg damage. But Jiri did what Jiri does. Was a close call tough. He wasn't too far from getting finished too. Guy is tough.

Yeah Alexander did major damage with the kicks and also landed better punches. Jiri went for broke and it worked. Both looked strong. I wanna correct myself from the first post I don't mean to say Alex doesn't have a lot of heart I mean to say Jiri was just tougher, like maximum endurance. He took big damage and just smiled. Alex tried but Jiri is a beast. Not to come of that I'm gossiping Alex. He did well but it wasn't enough.

Rakic looks like a world beater at moments, and he can definitely dish it out but seems to be unable to take it.

He's got all the physical gifts but something is missing mentally.

Bullshit number 1. Guy never got tkod in his entire career..what are you talking about???

He got caught and thats it

He was putting himself at risk in the fight trading bombs

Rakic is a kickboxer, so that first part of the fight was what he was looking for. I think a lot of people forget how good he is at kickboxing because he was utilizing the weakness of some guys like Smith and Santos, which was that they cant fight off their back at all. So he was turning into a wrestler for awhile to be strategic.

But yeah, the dudes got great range and diversity in his striking. Id love to see him lean into this skill set more often

He is amazing
I became a huge Rakic fan

Rakic fought like he's fought his whole UFC run so far. Relying on his technical skill and speed to outclass his opponent.

Jiri did the only thing he could to beat that kind of opponent. Move forward at all costs, risking being KO'd, to force a brawl. And he was successful. Jiri has all time KO power at LHW and he bet on his chances of landing that big fight-changing shot in a brawl over Rakic's, and he was right.

Rakic was the better technician, but not the better fighter that night.

Jiri is an animal. And sometimes that can overcome a deficiency in technical skills.

Jiri has never been decisioned and he hardly ever decisions anyone. He is kill or be killed. And he hasn't been finished many times... you need a really special person to finish him

Back