any other Jiri fans excited-nervous?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I used to get like this back when Fedor was undefeated but slowing down (2009ish). It was a fun balance of "oh shit something might go wrong" combined with "but I still have faith in this" sort of thing.

Anyway, these sort of fights are fun as a fan. On the one hand I am dreading the "on paper" aspect. Jiri has been inactive. Injured. Recipe for disaster. Then Alex's style is the worst possible matchup on paper. Deadliest counters, KO power, and technical skill possible vs aggressive striking that relies on taking shots to land them.

But Glover wasn't that dissimilar. If I told you before the fight "Glover will have about 15 minutes of mount time and near the end of that time will have a fully locked in arm triangle" the odds for Jiri would be +5000 or something. Pretty sure the odds in the 5th round live were something insane like that (or even more extreme) for Jiri to finish by sub too... and yet he did the impossible.

And he will do the impossible again... just when the deck is the most stacked (and after some back and forth drama) he will do the unthinkable in the face of absurd danger. Jiri by KO round 2, after which I can breathe a sigh of relief and admire the human quality of persevering in the face of all odds.

Calling it now

Groin shot, bizarre ending. Rematch in january
Neither one of these guys are letting a groin shot stop them brother. I'd be more worried they didn't use the damn 5 minutes allotted.

Absolutely my man. I will be cheering for Jiri, but for once I won’t care too much if my favourite gets an L because the other guy is just as great. Will be a fight to remember.
Yup absolutely. Alex is a beast and seems like a nice guy. Such a great fight / two warriors at the top of their game.

Always a fan of Jiri but yikes coming off a 2 year layoff to face Poatan? That's a tall ask for a guy with Jiris defensive lapses.

Totally with TS here.

I haven't really rooted for a particular fighter like I do with Jiri since Hendo retired. I used to have a a handful of fighters at a time that I was invested in, but I haven't felt that way in a long time.

Jiri reminds me of the old school fighters that got me interested in MMA and I am excited/nervous for this one.

WAR JIRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally with TS here.

I haven't really rooted for a particular fighter like I do with Jiri since Hendo retired. I used to have a a handful of fighters at a time that I was invested in, but I haven't felt that way in a long time.

Jiri reminds me of the old school fighters that got me interested in MMA and I am excited/nervous for this one.

WAR JIRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jiri KO 0:39 (interlocking fish smash)

I'd be more inclined to root for Jiri if he was more like Joe Dirt and alternated between Samurai hair, a mullet, and a Rasta 'do

I think Poatan smashes Jiri’s leg for like 3 rounds straight until Jiri lands a random straight right during a kick and KO’s Poatan.

I’m an Alex P fan but I think Jiri’s weird style will give him trouble.

Yeah, not rooting a guy as both guys are just awesome. I just hope Jiri doesn't get caught early like Strickland, as he just has a very "open" style.

Jiri has to avoid getting chopped down with leg kicks so that he keeps his movement crispy. Jiri can eat clean hard punches and deliver his own, I don't think anyone can be confident that Pereira can do the same. Jiri can afford to get a little wreckless, where Pereira will have to fight a bit tighter and safer.

I used to get like this back when Fedor was undefeated but slowing down (2009ish). It was a fun balance of "oh shit something might go wrong" combined with "but I still have faith in this" sort of thing.

Anyway, these sort of fights are fun as a fan. On the one hand I am dreading the "on paper" aspect. Jiri has been inactive. Injured. Recipe for disaster. Then Alex's style is the worst possible matchup on paper. Deadliest counters, KO power, and technical skill possible vs aggressive striking that relies on taking shots to land them.

But Glover wasn't that dissimilar. If I told you before the fight "Glover will have about 15 minutes of mount time and near the end of that time will have a fully locked in arm triangle" the odds for Jiri would be +5000 or something. Pretty sure the odds in the 5th round live were something insane like that (or even more extreme) for Jiri to finish by sub too... and yet he did the impossible.

And he will do the impossible again... just when the deck is the most stacked (and after some back and forth drama) he will do the unthinkable in the face of absurd danger. Jiri by KO round 2, after which I can breathe a sigh of relief and admire the human quality of persevering in the face of all odds.
This fight will be great, both have a great chance at winning.

Back