Jeff Glover's Donkey Guard

I'd say donkey is more viable since most humans have bones and joints and stuff that keeps mummy guard from working.

But what if you have great flexibility in your bones?

Google has failed me on this, so what are some donkey guard counters (passes?) Opponent pulled donkey guard against me for the first time in a comp recently, and after I tried grabbing his leg he spun under for a heel hook in one of my shortest/most embarrassing fights ever. Thinking back on it, maybe the best response is just to sit to guard - if he doesn't move I'll scoot in to crab ride, but realistically he'll have to stand and try to pass and then I can work.

Can't believe I actually have to think about this.

Google has failed me on this, so what are some donkey guard counters (passes?) Opponent pulled donkey guard against me for the first time in a comp recently, and after I tried grabbing his leg he spun under for a heel hook in one of my shortest/most embarrassing fights ever. Thinking back on it, maybe the best response is just to sit to guard - if he doesn't move I'll scoot in to crab ride, but realistically he'll have to stand and try to pass and then I can work.

Donkey guard is a legit, if narrow opening. I've experimented a bunch with it in sparring, and basically it works really well if the opponent doesn't defend his legs or overcommits trying to counter. I've had my back taken a few times, but the most obvious counters only work once before you adjust (like a reverse leg drag, reverse double leg, or reverse belt grab). You could try a reverse arm drag or reverse ankle pick, but definitely watch your legs and anticipate that your opponent will roll or flip right after. Your best bet is just to keep circling, no matter how dumb you feel, and look for an opening to force your opponent to turn over in a vulnerable position.

Last edited:

Never found donkey guard to be effective; i also just drop my levels and sit quickly when someone pulls it so they face plant.

I'll be releasing my Donkey Guard Counters DVD soon. Here are some previews

eoIF7.gif

Cody+Rhodes+-+Wheelbarrow+Suplex.gif

Back