I've never seen A Sakurai fight. Any suggestions?

omg i totally forgot he fought the knockout artist, olaf alfonso LOL

a few more olaf highlights:
mccullough_alfonso.gif

20090515103355_yyyyyyyyy.JPG

his CTE must be off the charts.

Just don't watch his fight with Matt Hughes. It's pretty sad, but Hughes was a beast back in the day with crazy top game. "Mach" did rock Hughes with a right hand that put him straight on his butt, but he ran in, Matt scooped him up, and slammed him to the grand.
He was unfortunately not ready for what Hughes was offering, as most great fighters weren't back at that time. Aside from Silva, who beat Sakurai, Hughes was the other P4P fighter of that era.

Last edited:
His fight against Jens Pulver was a good win. Also his fight in UFC against Matt Hughes, he lost but it was a cool as its the start of the reign of Hughes. I remember him having a good fight in Pride against some Brazilian guy but I'm not sure of the name of the guy.

Any of his Shooto fights. That's where he made his name, became a star, and was originally a top 10 fighter. He didn't get a title shot against Hughes because of what he did in Pride. The Hansen fight was also great.

Just don't watch his fight with Matt Hughes. It's pretty sad, but Hughes was a beast back in the day with crazy top game. "Mach" did rock Hughes with a right hand that put him straight on his butt, but he ran in, Matt scooped him up, and slammed him to the grand.

Also Sakurai injured his back in a car accident a couple weeks before the fight.

He was so far ahead of time. One of the first complete Mixed Martial Artists.

Had the hands, the kicks, the knees in the clinch, the judo throws and takedowns, the solid ground game, devastating ground and pound, big heart, high IQ...he had everything. One of my all tome favorites. He fought a very long time.

The clinic he put on Mac Danzig was beautiful. He showed a little bit of everything in that fight. Just beautiful technique.

Last edited:
Most all of his PRIDE fights after he dropped weight.

At Bushido 9, he took out Jens Pulver and Joachim Hansen. That's probably his best night.

His fight with Trigg was already legendary when I got into mma. Not a dominant performance, by any means, though. His fight with Danzig shows him in that light. I was fortunate enough to be there. His leg kicks are LOUD.

His fights against Jens and Hansen in the LWGP in 2005 are a both great action wise.

He also submitted Ricco Rodriguez at ADCC. Amazing all around fighter.

That was a joke, @Chivas GDL.

I am a huge fan of yours and

He was unfortunately not ready for what Hughes was offering, as most great fighters weren't back at that time. Aside from Silva, who beat Sakurai, Hughes was the other P4P fighter of that era.
He wasn't ready because he was coming off a horrible car crash and was still injured

One of my favs of all time. I still wish he beat Gomi in the LW GP finals.. people don't remember tha back in the day Sakurai was one of the p4p guys to beat.

Yes to all!

I got very wide-eyed and then nodded to him at Raffles - the all day restaurant at Mandalay Bay - he gave me a wry smile and a nod back. It was the best, lol. (Most of the guys ate there; ran into Chuck several times before 62/79, we sat next to Cole Miller in there, got a pic with GSP before 79 -> not an airport tale, ha) #coolstorybro

Dude fought Hughes after getting into a car accident. Have you seen his sextape? :)

Back