Its been 8 months but this KO still gives me goosebumps

Aldo's head was not right in that fight, he wanted to hurt Conor and made a stupid mistake because Conor has been shit talking him for a year on a press tour. Conor baited him into that through months of mind f'ing.
90% of the game is 50% mental. Right, Seano?

Wilder/Szpilka was a pretty nasty one as well.....he landed like he was dead. Arthurawas not getting up for mins after, I think he was taken out on a stretcher if I recall.

You realize that boxing is not an exact science, right? There are numerous ways to throw every punch, and everyone's body is different.
There might be different things that work depending on the opponent but proper technique does not change.

Joe Calzaghe comes to mind for being effective with poor technique. Also the punch Jones dropped him with in their fight didn't land with proper technique.

Ricardo Lopez is a good example of textbook technique.

There might be different things that work depending on the opponent but proper technique does not change.

Joe Calzaghe comes to mind for being effective with poor technique. Also the punch Jones dropped him with in their fight didn't land with proper technique.

Ricardo Lopez is a good example of textbook technique.
Jones hit him with a forearm. Calzaghe couldn't hit the bag in training for that fight but had to go through with it so asshats like us didn't call him for ducking.

Jones hit him with a forearm. Calzaghe couldn't hit the bag in training for that fight but had to go through with it so asshats like us didn't call him for ducking.
I remember a solid wrist punch. Don't remember the specifics surrounding the fight but Joe was more of a slapping puncher. They did land to good effect though.

I remember a solid wrist punch. Don't remember the specifics surrounding the fight but Joe was more of a slapping puncher. They did land to good effect though.
He was, he claims it was to do with injuries earlier in his career but it could be excuses

You realize that boxing is not an exact science, right? There are numerous ways to throw every punch, and everyone's body is different.

Yeah, it's just the sweet science. There are different ways to throw an overhand right and that was technically improper. TS is acting like it was the most beautiful punch ever. It was devastating and perfectly timed but not thrown with sound technique.

Here's how it should've been done if we're going to call it a "KO of the year" type of punch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhand_(boxing)

SMH

Yeah, it's just the sweet science. There are different ways to throw an overhand right and that was technically improper. TS is acting like it was the most beautiful punch ever. It was devastating and perfectly timed but not thrown with sound technique.

Here's how it should've been done if we're going to call it a "KO of the year" type of punch.

SMH
Oh snap, I got Wiki'd! Truly your skills are much advanced, my worthy foe.
200w.gif

Sweet KO. I don't know who they are, but that was a sick KO. And TS, don't bait guys into a Conor argument.

Technique matters. Hate to break it to you. Listen to StickAndMove. Welcome to boxing, btw.

When it comes to addressing what the best KO was, I don't think the technique matters so much. Martinez KO of Williams didn't look at all like the images you posted (Martinez' technique was never great, he made up for it with amazing athleticism), but that's still KO of the year 2010.

When it comes to addressing what the best KO was, I don't think the technique matters so much. Martinez KO of Williams didn't look at all like the images you posted (Martinez' technique was never great, he made up for it with amazing athleticism), but that's still KO of the year 2010.

Well, this is just one candidate, but who has either fought? Nobody. I don't think it stacks up to the rest this year based on a few factors. For one, Eudy Bernardo is currently world ranked at #327 (per BoxRec) in the Lightweight division after he was KO'ed by Menard. Menard himself is still a prospect and currently ranked just within the Top 50 in the world in the division at #49. If you look at all of The Ring's "KO of the Year" award recipients from '89 on, they all have at least either fought in major title eliminators, been contenders themselves, have fought name opponents, or have fought at least someone with a name that had at the time. Most of them were either current or former world titleholders.

The Ring needs to publish (or republish) the criteria that their writers are using to decide who receives this annual award in the first place. It'll always be subjective but at least it'd give us a better idea of not just what they're weighing but also their order of importance; brutality, comebacks, surprise factor (upsets & shockers), "picture perfect" or near aesthetics as far as execution & technique, level of competition, etc.

Last edited:
Well, this is just one candidate, but who has either fought? Nobody. I don't think it stacks up to the rest this year based on a few factors. For one, Eudy Bernardo is currently world ranked at #327 (per BoxRec) in the Lightweight division after he was KO'ed by Menard. Menard himself is still a prospect and currently ranked just within the Top 50 in the world in the division at #49. If you look at all of The Ring's "KO of the Year" award recipients from '89 on, they all have at least either fought in major title eliminators, been contenders themselves, have fought name opponents, or have fought at least someone with a name that had at the time. Most of them were either current or former world titleholders.

The Ring needs to publish (or republish) the criteria that their writers are using to decide who receives this annual award in the first place. It'll always be subjective but at least it'd give us a better idea of not just what they're weighing but also their order of importance; brutality, comebacks, surprise factor (upsets & shockers), "picture perfect" or near aesthetics as far as execution & technique, level of competition, etc.

You just responded to something I didn't say. You tried to discount the KO because of technique. That's what I responded to. I said earlier in the thread that KOing Bernardo isn't some crowning achievement.

You just responded to something I didn't say. You tried to discount the KO because of technique. That's what I responded to. I said earlier in the thread that KOing Bernardo isn't some crowning achievement.

Actually, I didn't discount the KO. I simply pointed out that his KO punch was technically flawed enough to notice (check the replays). It was a prospect KO'ing a guy that wasn't even ranked inside the Top 300 at the time in the division. Let's call a spade a spade. I also happened to point out how well timed it was, which contradicts what you're claiming I did.

Rich's KO over Quarry in that fight was to this day one of the finest I've seen in MMA. Well, in the UFC anyway.

He had a straight left like a donkey kick for several years, up 'til he shattered that hand against The Crow.

He had a straight left like a donkey kick for several years, up 'til he shattered that hand against The Crow.

I remember him breaking his hand in that fight. He suplexed Loiseau too which I didn't even know he could do. Loiseau was running from him.

Actually, I didn't discount the KO. I simply pointed out that his KO punch was technically flawed enough to notice (check the replays). It was a prospect KO'ing a guy that wasn't even ranked inside the Top 300 at the time in the division. Let's call a spade a spade. I also happened to point out how well timed it was, which contradicts what you're claiming I did.

You've said several times in this thread that technique is important in the context of choosing KOTY. My post was in response to that. Then you ranted about how Bernardo wasn't a top tier opponent and I stopped reading. I agree he isn't top tier, and this wouldn't be the KO of the year.

This is you, ManBag, saying that for it to be a KO of the year type punch, it needs to look like that. I disagree. If he knocked out a top-10 lightweight in that same fashion, it could be (Ironically I don't think he actually would knockout a top-10 fighter in that same fashion because of technique, but that's irrelevant). I think technique is what facilitates the knockout, but unless all other things are equal it shouldn't come into consideration. I'd see using it as a tie breaker.

You've said several times in this thread that technique is important in the context of choosing KOTY. My post was in response to that. Then you ranted about how Bernardo wasn't a top tier opponent and I stopped reading. I agree he isn't top tier, and this wouldn't be the KO of the year.

This is you, ManBag, saying that for it to be a KO of the year type punch, it needs to look like that. I disagree. If he knocked out a top-10 lightweight in that same fashion, it could be (Ironically I don't think he actually would knockout a top-10 fighter in that same fashion because of technique, but that's irrelevant). I think technique is what facilitates the knockout, but unless all other things are equal it shouldn't come into consideration. I'd see using it as a tie breaker.

Should technique not be considered relevant? I mean, if it isn't, then we should all be watching the Toughman Contest instead of professional boxing when discussing potential KO of the Year candidates to critique (which is all that I did). Critiquing his technique in that exchange and mentioning that Bernardo is nowhere near top level isn't ranting, it's just stating the truth. Read the OP again and tell me that TS wasn't exaggerating.

If this was picture perfect, as TS stated, then yes, it should look like that. However, I've never argued that technique should come before level of opposition. He got the knockout because he countered his non-committal jab and timed it perfectly right as he started to move laterally in that direction. Menard stepped inside of the jab and met his unprotected chin hard with an overhand right (a very hard overhand swat). It was the right punch to use for a couple reasons, one because you can easily counter a jab with an overhand if it's left out there (Bernardo's was) and also because Bernardo is significantly taller.

If you have perfect or near perfect technique then it enables you to maximize your power, both in generating it and delivering it as efficiently as possible. The first thing a trainer will tell you if you want to increase your punching power is to perfect your technique. After that they'll tell you to work on your hand speed, accuracy and timing.

Back