it's absurd some college athletes aren't paid.

It's absurd that guys can get free college because they can throw a ball, while otherwise useful, intelligent people struggle to fund their actual educations.

They get free college education, right?

Those athletes can go D1AA or lower if they dont like the treatment of D1A.

Lol @ endless millennial tears.

<2>

Tuition, room and board, books, all of the extra help is probably worth $60,000+ after tax dollars/yr. How many 18 yr olds (or their families) are able to afford that?

What I do think the NCAA should provide is 3-5 yrs of healthcare coverage post last year of playing, and disability insurance.

Tuition, room and board, books, all of the extra help is probably worth $60,000+ after tax dollars/yr. How many 18 yr olds (or their families) are able to afford that?

What I do think the NCAA should provide is 3-5 yrs of healthcare coverage post last year of playing, and disability insurance.

Agreed.

Its become much more of one, yes.
Might have something to do with the fact that college programs are bringing in more money than ever now which makes the disparity between what the athletes are "compensated" and what the school profits that much greater.

I don't think they should be bringing in anywhere close to professional salaries but giving students a decent annual wage for the millions upon millions they're bringing in to schools isn't too much to ask imo. Especially when the vast majority of them aren't going to become pros and will likely be left with long term effects from playing.

Actually students can generate an income from the school. Lot's of students work on campus and are considered employees.

It would just be a matter of getting paid for playing a sport for the school. I can see why they wouldn't allow college students to get paid for playing. The idea is get an education and many get it for free. That sounds like a decent compensation to me. Why removed the motivation for the education by turning them into professional athletes?

Can anyone provide a good reason as to why a college athlete shouldn't have control over his likeness? Why he can't earn money off jersey sales, autographs, or endorsements?

I don't believe college athletes should get paid or share in the revenue from the school etc.

However, I think it's absolutely fucking ridiculous that a college player can't use their fame for money via advertising, promotions, autographs, memorabilia etc. If Lamar Jackson could be in a Nike commercial right now... it should be allowed.

Might have something to do with the fact that college programs are bringing in more money than ever now which makes the disparity between what the athletes are "compensated" and what the school profits that much greater.

I don't think they should be bringing in anywhere close to professional salaries but giving students a decent annual wage for the millions upon millions they're bringing in to schools isn't too much to ask imo. Especially when the vast majority of them aren't going to become pros and will likely be left with long term effects from playing.
With degrees that can get them high level incomes?

Im fine with medical care. They dont need a salary.

Id actually be cool with advertisment endorsements though.

With degrees that can get them high level incomes?

Im fine with medical care. They dont need a salary.

Id actually be cool with advertisment endorsements though.
I could get behind medical support after graduation and letting them cash in on their names while in college. I think that should be expected from major universities at this point though.

Nobody is forcing them to go to college. A lot of High School basketball players will opt to go to Europe. Or they'll go to 2 or 3 courses for a couple of semesters and declare for the NBA draft. As for football, again, nobody is forcing you go to college. College is the platform that is giving you exposure. Stick it out for a 2-3 years and go pro. Not that big of a deal.

as was said already, nobody is forcing them to go. Basketball especially, the nba will pay kids right out of highschool to play in the DLeague if they dont want to go to school or they can go overseas to either europe or china which players have taken both of the above options. Reason why more dont do it is because playing against men even in smaller leagues is tougher then playing college ball and results in less exposure to gm's to improve draft stock and media exposure to improve marketability. Add in that they dont even have to stay 1 whole college year, just finish out basketball season for 1 year then drop out and hire an agent and enter the nba draft. There should be zero tears shed for college basketball athletes.

Now football is a little more tricky because the athlete has to stay for a minimum of 3 years and other options are limited. However the player has 3 years to train with best strength and conditioning trainers with around the clock access to top notch facilities and coaching staff to teach them everything they will need at the next level.

regardless of how you feel on issue, what is the best solution? As soon as one school gets to pay more then another school or one athlete makes more then another athlete, you have essentially created a pro sports league. MIght as well have kids hiring agents out of highschool too.

Nobody is forcing them to go to college. A lot of High School basketball players will opt to go to Europe. Or they'll go to 2 or 3 courses for a couple of semesters and declare for the NBA draft. As for football, again, nobody is forcing you go to college. College is the platform that is giving you exposure. Stick it out for a 2-3 years and go pro. Not that big of a deal.
you have to be one and done do one year of college,ben Simmons did this his documentary on showtime also showed how these super stars are being deprived of tons of money by NCAA while NCAA gets paid .

you have to be one and done do one year of college,ben Simmons did this his documentary on showtime also showed how these super stars are being deprived of tons of money by NCAA while NCAA gets paid .

There is no guarantee that these college kids will manifest into anything great at the pro-level. Why do you have to go to the NCAA? Just go play in Europe for a year if you want to get paid.

NCAA is a messed up system. But how do we determine which player gets what money? Will a star QB get the same amount as a kicker? Does each team get paid the same?

Back