It's a damn shame Yoel is 41 years of age

Mileage has nothing to do with a person's physical prime. You're using the wrong word, I get what you're saying, but he's not in his physical prime at 41.

Mileage of course affects your performance, but it doesn't affect the time that your physical prime lasts. You might look worse after taking sustained beating, but that doesn't mean you're not in your prime.
I never said he was in his physical prime, this is an MMA forum, do I REALLY have to spell out "fighting prime"?

....When talking about a fighter on a fight forum

He probably has more testosterone than a college linebacker. He has olympic "enhancing experience," no way they're going to catch that guy. He has a PHD in doping.

Also, he is 40, not 41 and will still be 40 at the time of the fight.

I never said he was in his physical prime, this is an MMA forum, do I REALLY have to spell out "fighting prime"?

....When talking about a fighter on a fight forum

So we are talking about physical primes since 3 or 4 posts, and suddenly you decide to move goalposts and now you're talking about "fighting prime"?

okay... well, Romero ain't in his fighting prime either.

What about Yoel's body isn't as good as it could have been at 25?

His ability to gain muscle memory, his ability to absorb damage, his ability to recover from injuries, his cardiovascular system, should I go on?

Physical prime has nothing to do with how muscle-packed you are.

You could be a skinny dude with no muscles at 29 years of age, and you're in your prime.
Then you turn 40 and you look like Yoel Romero, your
(physical, biological) prime still was when you were 29.

Get it?

Such a shame that we have to see old man Yoel against prime Luke and not a prime Yoel. Hope Yoel pulls it off. Fighting at this level at in your forties is extremely hard to do, and Yoel has been doing an amzing job while doing it.

It's a damn shame he didn't start mma ealier and we haven't seen him compete in MMA at his physical prime, that would have been one of the scariest fighters ever.
I just don't fucking get this Yoel worshipping shit.
The guy is so heavily juiced.
"Ooohhh... he's so scary specimen"
Hah!!!
Another roidfreak, nothing to see here please.

So we are talking about physical primes since 3 or 4 posts, and suddenly you decide to move goalposts and now you're talking about "fighting prime"?

Is this not a FIGHT FORUM?

Why in the flying fuck would the word "Prime" while discussing an athlete not refer to that athletes abilities to compete successfully in their sport?

When has the word Prime when discussing an athlete ever not expressly meant "their top form as a competitor in their sport"?

All those are in prime condition on Yoel.

Nope. I love Yoel, but scientifically that's complete bullshit, dude.

You wanna tell me a 40-year-old Yoel has as much potential for physical improvement as a 25 year old Yoel?
That he has the same ability to gain muscle memory? That his cardiovascular system is as strong? That he recovers as quickly as he did 15 years ago?

Then he'd be a miracle.

Is this not a FIGHT FORUM?

Why in the flying fuck would the word "Prime" while discussing an athlete not refer to that athletes abilities to compete successfully in their sport?

When has the word Prime when discussing an athlete ever not expressly meant "their top form as a competitor in their sport"?

I called you out on using the wrong word to describe what you actually mean and you're moving goalposts and throwing all types of bitch-fits.
That's not how discussion works. You haven't refuted any of my arguments.

You're going down the road of "b-but I meant something different!" and wanna make me look stupid for misinterpreting your post, when there was no room for misinterpretation.

Yoel Romero is a 40 year old. He's not in his prime. Get over it.

I think Yoel realistically only has 3 more fights left in him in the UFC. He's 40 and although he certainly doesn't look the part his weakness is clearly his conditioning and I attribute that to both his age and muscle mass. Robert Whittaker could've TKO'd him in the 5th the last 10 seconds had the fight gone any longer. Also, he DOES have low mileage but he's competiting w/ guys that have much better conditiong and are younger. There's a high chance Luke wins this one. I don't see him beating Whittaker or going on a defense streak if he does beat Luke and Whittaker which there's a 99.9% chance he won't. (Gave him the .1% chance because a fights a fight) Although, wouldn't mind that as a big Yoel fan.

I kinda gave up on Yoel
After the Rob fight

But fuck it, this is winnable and it will
Be awesome to see him wearing gold

Has any athlete of any physically intensive sport been in their prime at age 41?

At 39 Barry Bonds led the league in batting avg .362 (this is an insanely high batting average for a power hitter) 45 home runs, 101 RBI, had 232 walks.
Bonds had dominant seasons at ages 36-39.

Tom Brady at age 40 this season went 13-3 this year and threw for 4577 yards, leading the conference and 2nd highest in his decorated career.
Brady is now 40 and still playing at the top level of NFL football

Both Brady and Peyton Manning won Super Bowls at 39 years old.

The juice is worth the squeeze.

Yoel might be old but his tainted supplements never age. We heard the same shit with Anderson 'defying Father Time', that's usually because they're using. This isn't a MMA thing, this is a professional athlete thing.

Bore St. Pierre fan, huh?

I called you out on using the wrong word to describe what you actually mean and you're moving goalposts and throwing all types of bitch-fits.
That's not how discussion works. You haven't refuted any of my arguments.

You're going down the road of "b-but I meant something different!" and wanna make me look stupid for misinterpreting your post, when there was no room for misinterpretation.

Yoel Romero is a 40 year old. He's not in his prime. Get over it.
Prime has always meant an athletes ability to compete.

You are attempting to alter the meaning to suit your narrative.

Let's review..... looks like you are the one throwing tantrums and can't accept other people having a different point of view than yours.

Mileage has nothing to do with a person's physical prime. You're using the wrong word, I get what you're saying, but he's not in his physical prime at 41.

Mileage of course affects your performance, but it doesn't affect the time that your physical prime lasts. You might look worse after taking sustained beating, but that doesn't mean you're not in your prime.

Guys, you're definitely not grasping the actual scientific meaning of "being in your prime". Just because your skills peak that doesn't mean that your actual body peaks.
You're not in your prime at 41 years of age. Period.

Physical prime has nothing to do with actual developed skills or how trained or well-built you are. It basically concerns the timeframe in which your body is most effective overall, but that doesn't mean you're most effective during your prime.

His ability to gain muscle memory, his ability to absorb damage, his ability to recover from injuries, his cardiovascular system, should I go on?

Physical prime has nothing to do with how muscle-packed you are.

You could be a skinny dude with no muscles at 29 years of age, and you're in your prime.
Then you turn 40 and you look like Yoel Romero, your
(physical, biological) prime still was when you were 29.

Get it?

Nope. I love Yoel, but scientifically that's complete bullshit, dude.

You wanna tell me a 40-year-old Yoel has as much potential for physical improvement as a 25 year old Yoel?
That he has the same ability to gain muscle memory? That his cardiovascular system is as strong? That he recovers as quickly as he did 15 years ago?

Then he'd be a miracle.

At 39 Barry Bonds led the league in batting avg .362 (this is an insanely high batting average for a power hitter) 45 home runs, 101 RBI, had 232 walks.
Bonds had dominant seasons at ages 36-39.

Tom Brady at age 40 this season went 13-3 this year and threw for 4577 yards, leading the conference and 2nd highest in his decorated career.
Brady is now 40 and still playing at the top level of NFL football

Both Brady and Peyton Manning won Super Bowls at 39 years old.

You're naming skill positions though (those examples are still amazing). Now tell me about the 40 year old running back who is still at the top of their game.

Also those guys started playing that sport before their physical prime and right through it, allowing them to maximally hone their ability.

Part of the TS's point is that Yoel started super late and was already out of prime when developing his skills aside from wrestling.

It actually has a lot to do how many MMA years you have under your belt, and how much mental and physical damage you have taken. In that regard, Yoel is relatively fresh.

Back