It was Wonderboy's Punching which was most impressive

I hope it's next for WB. If he takes a fight in between and KO's another top guy, he'll prob enter the fight with Robbie as a favourite. I hope he gets Robbie next. I would DEF bet on that....

I never been so impressed with a performance, he HAS to be next who else is out there? I just wonder was Hendrick's his usual self? Is wonderboy THAT Good? Ive won alot on betting but i gotta research more about hendricks that night he looked off i dont know what it was he just did. It could have also been wonderboy just starching him that made him look so bad.

I never been so impressed with a performance, he HAS to be next who else is out there? I just wonder was Hendrick's his usual self? Is wonderboy THAT Good? Ive won alot on betting but i gotta research more about hendricks that night he looked off i dont know what it was he just did. It could have also been wonderboy just starching him that made him look so bad.
To me, Hendrix didn't look off. He slid in with that sliding/leaping left hook that usually gets EVERYONE. Even if it doesn't hit cleanly, it usually at least lands and at minimum, it gets Johnny into striking range so he can follow up on it. WB slid soooooo cleanly out of the way, like it wasn't even an effective move. Like it never catches ppl. WB does things that others simply can't. His movement, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Justin Scoggins, Conor, and a couple others..... these guys are taking striking footwork and movement to another level in MMA.

I don't think Hendrix was off. I think he's of the old breed that will now die out. As for who's next, could be Maia.... If it's WB and he wins, it will take a very, very talented grappler to beat him because no striker will for years.

To me, Hendrix didn't look off. He slid in with that sliding/leaping left hook that usually gets EVERYONE. Even if it doesn't hit cleanly, it usually at least lands and at minimum, it gets Johnny into striking range so he can follow up on it. WB slid soooooo cleanly out of the way, like it wasn't even an effective move. Like it never catches ppl. WB does things that others simply can't. His movement, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Justin Scoggins, Conor, and a couple others..... these guys are taking striking footwork and movement to another level in MMA.

I don't think Hendrix was off. I think he's of the old breed that will now die out. As for who's next, could be Maia.... If it's WB and he wins, it will take a very, very talented grappler to beat him because no striker will for years.

His takedown defense reminded me of Aldo, It's insane Johnny is a very talented wrestler and coulnt do shit. I wonder who can grapplefuck wonderboy in the ww division? They don't have a Khabbib there.

His takedown defense reminded me of Aldo, It's insane Johnny is a very talented wrestler and coulnt do shit. I wonder who can grapplefuck wonderboy in the ww division? They don't have a Khabbib there.

Exactly. Without GSP, I don't see who would dethrone WB. Possible Maia could get him down but how he shook off Johnny's TD and how he's training with all these wrestlers, I really wonder if anyone at WW could beat him. If he wins the belt, I guarantee you Conor stops looking at it as a possibility.

I've said it in a couple other threads but I think it bears saying in these types of discussions. I'm not sure anyone has ever beat Wonderboy in a stand up fight. He beat up 57 kickboxers before coming to MMA. That isn't hyperbole, he was 57-0 in kickboxing.

HIs footwork/distance control was the key to his victory.

You say he has better hands than Daniels, but didnt Daniels defeat him?

His hands looked really good, he also showed power in his hands against Cote. I think a lot of fighters would have been KO'd, but Cote has a great chin.

Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif
Wonderboy let him off...they have trained together and never had a beef...

I'm so so impressed by his striking... super fun to watch.

Ellenberger did drop WB for what it's worth. He's not invincible.

Easy to jump on the bandwagon now but from the moment I saw him, I thought he could be champion. I think Robbie has to KO him to win, I really think that he would have a hard time winning by points.

By the time it is easy to jump on a bandwagon, everyone thought he would be champ the first time they saw him. :)

yeah but he beat no one of note in kickboxing

Well, maybe he beat no one of note in kickboxing, but yea...

• 1999 I.S.K.A Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.S.K.A Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F South East Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Middleweight Champion
  • 2000 P.K.C National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 U.S.A.K.B.F North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Light Heavyweight Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F North American Amateur Tournament Light Cruiserweight Champion
  • 2001 P.K.C National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 U.S.A.K.B.F Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2001 W.P.K.A Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.K.F Light Cruiserweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.A.K.S.A Cruiserweight World Champion
  • 2005 W.A.K.O Cruiserweight World Champion

You say he has better hands than Daniels, but didnt Daniels defeat him?

Thompson fought Raymond Daniels in a highly anticipated bout. Thompson originally lost the history-making bout by TKO due to an injury. The injury suffered during the bout left Thompson unable to continue. The bout was later ruled to be No Contest and is not recognized on either kickboxer's respective records, professional or amateur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Thompson_(fighter)

It's obvious that he comes from a karate background. They aren't particularly technically sound punches from a boxing perspective.

Well, maybe he beat no one of note in kickboxing, but yea...

• 1999 I.S.K.A Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.S.K.A Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F South East Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Middleweight Champion
  • 2000 P.K.C National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 U.S.A.K.B.F North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Light Heavyweight Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F North American Amateur Tournament Light Cruiserweight Champion
  • 2001 P.K.C National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 U.S.A.K.B.F Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2001 W.P.K.A Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.K.F Light Cruiserweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.A.K.S.A Cruiserweight World Champion
  • 2005 W.A.K.O Cruiserweight World Champion

None of those are of note. What the fuck are a few world championships worth??

None of those are of note. What the fuck are a few world championships worth??

Heh, its pretty surprising how long the MMA community has slept on this guy, myself included. In a stand up fight, he wins. Think about that, 37-0 in amateur kickboxing, 20-0 pro kickboxing, 12-1 MMA. In 70 combat situations he has come out 69-1. Unless someone can figure out how to wrestle him then I can't see anything but pain in the Welter Weight division.

Back